Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Video Streaming Troubleshooting...

Video Streaming Troubleshooting...
CoachRoebuck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2006, 07:52 PM

I have a problem. I have been receiving several concerns regarding streaming video. I have been trying very hard to find potential causes and solutions/recommendations. When various people were comparing my video content to YouTube, CBS, NBC and other corporations, I'm being told my videos are choppy and take longer to load and play. I'm trying to find out what all can go wrong. Here are some specs on the video that I have converted from DVD:

Video Codec:
Video Size: 352x240
Aspect: 1x1
FPS: 25
Bitrate Kbps: 432
Audio Codec:
MP3
Sample rate: 22,050
Channels: 2
Bitrate: 64

The video format is FLV. I believe currently, I'm doing a progressive download. This time, because I have chosen to build a custom flash player, I am choosing to load and play videos through ActionScript:

var nc:NetConnection = new NetConnection();
nc.connect(null);
var ns:NetStream = new NetStream(nc);
vPlayer.attachVideo(ns);
ns.play(VideoName);

I have two questions.
My video codec should be acceptable, shouldn't it? I have never seen any trouble streaming video from my computer, but other people have experienced trouble. I am aware of the tradeoff between the quality of the video vs download time/bandwidth. Quality is important over here. I am not willing to go too low and have good download and stream times at the expense of quality.

The other question concerns the web hosting provider. At first, I suggested possibly network congestion, but from where? When video from my site is slow compared to other sites, something is wrong somewhere, but I can't determine where. Is there anything off the top of your head that should be questionable, like the web hosting provider's network? I browsed through the stats today and did not immediately notice any high numbers that would allow me to assume a high web traffic.

I am lost guys. I could use some suggestions. Thank you for your time...
( Last edited by CoachRoebuck; Jan 13, 2007 at 09:05 PM. )

CoachRoebuck  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2007, 09:06 PM

Thanks a lot...Figured it out...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2007, 09:29 PM

What was the problem?

CoachRoebuck  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2007, 10:05 PM

The only thing I could think of that could make video choppy provided that everything else is good is the bandwidth, so I concluded it must've been the latter. I never got a chance to ask the web hosting provider if I'm on a shared network. The videos get a pretty good amount of hits, but nothing significant to clog up web traffic. However, content must potentially travel through several servers before reaching its client computer. I figure one of the web servers had to have had a high amount of web traffic.

In any event, I decided to build my own flash player...

This presents a new problem: I built a custom flash video player that I'm very proud of. It re-establishes my confidence as a programmer, after spending all year building web pages that are trivial. I am viewing the same video on my hard drive on a full screen through web browswers comparing two different embedded flash video players, one of which can be found here. Users must be able to view the videos on a full screen...

I see a weeeee bit of a different in quality (e.g. squares in curves become noticeable, which is a given in a full screen... but it's more evident in one of the players). It's not that bad: I would accept it, be happy, and live with it. However, this could cause a commotion because some viewers expect the quality to be that of a plasma screen TV. One bright note: I put YouTube to shame! HA HA HA!!

I built my flash player in Flash 8. I even have the source code to that other player and I'm using the exact same components. The only thing that may matter is within the Actionscript code I wrote. But even there it's widely common to stream video in this way:

var nc:NetConnection = new NetConnection();
nc.connect(null); //connect to NULL
var ns:NetStream = new NetStream(nc); //create netStream Object & pas netConnect to it

vPlayer.attachVideo(ns); //attach netStream object to embedded video object
ns.play(VideoName); //play video

When I'm getting different quality in a scenerio like this, my reaction is "WTF?" I am clueless! I don't really care to dig into it because I'm sick of fooling with video. I need an explanation so I can explain why things are the way they are. Put words in my mouth...

Also, if you know if it is possible to play any video other than FLV inside an SWF, then point me in that direction. The FLV format is garbage and if I don't have to use it, I won't. The only reason I switched to Flash to begin with is because I was having mad problems last year between Real Player, Windows Media Player, and Quicktime being embedded. It was ridiculous.

Forum Links
Forum Rules