Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Pro Keyboard, 4 keys don't work, MacOS 9.1

Pro Keyboard, 4 keys don't work, MacOS 9.1
MauroCol
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2001, 06:25 AM

Hi! Some weeks ago, my Pro Keyboard didn't recognize the four new keys (volume high, low, mute and eject disc). When I init my iMac DV+, an alert box appeared with this message: "Software needed for the USB device 'Apple Extended USB Keyboard' is not available. Would you like to look for the software on the Internet?".

After some weeks, I decided to fix this problem, and I got the answer at the Apple KBase:

Solution
One of these actions will resolve the situation:

* Use the Extensions Manager control panel to verify that the extension named "USB Device Extension" is turned on. If it is off, turn it on and restart the computer.
* If USB Device Extension is not in the Extensions folder, use Sherlock to find it. Drag the file into the Extensions folder.
* If USB Device Extension is not on the hard disk, install it by performing a custom installation from the Software Install disc. (The USB Device Extension software is an item within the system software's Network & Connectivity component.) For more information on custom installation of Mac OS 9 components, please see article 31288: "Mac OS 9: Installing or Removing Individual Components ."

Hummm... I had installed the USB Device Extension, but I reinstalled... restarted the iMac and... no message!

But the 4 keys still don't work!!!

What can I do? Thank you very much!

Maurocol

----
iMac DV+
MacOS 9.1
96 MB RAM, 128 MB VM
Best regards from Colombia!

_______
MaurOS X
IT Journalist
http://www.infotech-colombia.com