Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OSX blogging for dummies...

OSX blogging for dummies...
I Have Questions
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2003, 05:38 PM

I've been left behind in the blog revolution, and it's time to catch up. The problem is that I have no freaking clue what to do. How do you set up the page, what software to use, get a site wihout ads, use my existing webspace, make the site look good???

I've read a ton of stuff on the web about blogging and looked at a lot of the software, but I can't find a basic starters guide that specifically relates to OSX compatible stuff...

Any help out there?

midwinter
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2003, 06:15 PM

go to www.blogger.com and set up an account. Follow their instructions. Grab some space on blogspot.com for your page, and you're good to go.

There are a handful of apps on versointracker that will allow you to post from OS X rather than log into the blogger site.

Cheers
Scott

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2003, 08:24 PM

There are no OSX-specific books on blogging, but O'Reilly has a good book on the subject.

The easiest ways to start a blog are Blogger and LiveJournal. Depending on what you want to use your blog for, I'd recommend one of these. If you have a lot of friends and are looking for a way to keep in touch, use LiveJournal, whose Friends functionality is absolutely awesome for this. If you don't, then use Blogger: it has features which can help integrate you better into the "blogosphere" at large.

You'll need an invite code if you want to do LiveJournal, but I have a couple of spares; PM me and I can hook you up.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

sniffer
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2003, 03:34 AM

I've just started to use the services from http://www.blogger.com , and it seems very nice so far. You can even let it transmitt/update your blogger page with ftp to your site. If you use your own web space, you'll get it without banner, wich is great. Blogging seems exciting, and I am looking forward to learn more about it my self as the newbie I am.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2003, 03:54 AM

You could to worse than look at Bloxsom - it's just a single .cgi script that you put on the server, and then all your blog entries are just text files. Can't be easier (but of course, you need to be able to run CGI scripts...)

sniffer
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2003, 06:16 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
You could to worse than look at Bloxsom - it's just a single .cgi script that you put on the server, and then all your blog entries are just text files. Can't be easier (but of course, you need to be able to run CGI scripts...)
I don't know much, but teoreticly if you have a host that support CGI scripts (teoreticly, since there might be security issues, or..?) and some sort of java ftp that you can access directly from your website, is there possibillities to make use of bloxsom to update your plog from about any machine with internet access? Sorry if this question doesn't make much sence, but easy access is something that would be important in my case. Thanks.

rsh
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2003, 07:24 AM

Originally posted by sniffer:
I don't know much, but teoreticly if you have a host that support CGI scripts (teoreticly, since there might be security issues, or..?) and some sort of java ftp that you can access directly from your website, is there possibillities to make use of bloxsom to update your plog from about any machine with internet access?
I'm sure blosxom is capable of what you mention, but I haven't used it. I have used Movable Type which works very well.

Movable Type is free, feature-rich, and totally stable. I put together a quick overview of how to set up Movable Type to serve up a blog from any OS X box with full-time internet access. You can find the info here . No web hosting service required: you use the Apache web server that comes with OS X to do the job.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2003, 03:47 AM

Originally posted by rsh:
I'm sure blosxom is capable of what you mention, but I haven't used it. I have used Movable Type which works very well.

Movable Type is free, feature-rich, and totally stable. I put together a quick overview of how to set up Movable Type to serve up a blog from any OS X box with full-time internet access. You can find the info here . No web hosting service required: you use the Apache web server that comes with OS X to do the job.
Thanks for your tip. Unfortunately I don't have my own host to set up the way I want it, so I'll stick to blogger.com for now as the first step to understand and make use of blogging.
I am sure I'll dig more into the issue later on when I get the chance to set up my own host.
( Last edited by sniffer; Mar 6, 2003 at 04:22 AM. )

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2003, 04:06 AM

You can run bloxsom manually and get it to create static pages, which could then be uploaded to your web server. Details are on the homepage.

I have Blagger (rss reader, counterpart to bloxsom) reading RSS news feeds from the internet, and bloxsom creating a nice page of summarised news headlines from them. Works really well.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2003, 04:26 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
You can run bloxsom manually and get it to create static pages, which could then be uploaded to your web server. Details are on the homepage.

I have Blagger (rss reader, counterpart to bloxsom) reading RSS news feeds from the internet, and bloxsom creating a nice page of summarised news headlines from them. Works really well.
That sounds very nice. Now the really only issue is to get my private web connection, ak broadband. But I doubt you guys can help me with that.

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2003, 10:21 AM

Well this thread inspired me to create a blog and make better use of my webspace I used MovableType and got it up and running in 30 mins ... it would not rebuild (cuz I forgot to chmod 777 appropriate directories). Check it out for yourself at http://alexmfin.freeshell.org
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz � 1Gb � 60Gb � SD

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2003, 10:38 AM

What is the best OS X app to interface with MT from the desktop?
My Blog & Photos

vasu
Senior User
Mar 7, 2003, 10:40 AM

thought I'd throw in my 2 cents...

my favorite blogging system (if you are running your own) is pMachine.

www.pmachine.com

it's great, easy to use, has a lot of features, etc.

-vasu

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 7, 2003, 03:29 PM

I've used all the blog software listed above at one time or another. MovableType blows them all out of the water by far.

I recommend buying hosting at a cheep place and setting up a weblog that way. Some places offer movabletype preinstalled.

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 8, 2003, 06:23 PM

Looks nice. I need to fire up my freeshell account.

Originally posted by nsxpower:
Well this thread inspired me to create a blog and make better use of my webspace I used MovableType and got it up and running in 30 mins ... it would not rebuild (cuz I forgot to chmod 777 appropriate directories). Check it out for yourself at http://alexmfin.freeshell.org
( Last edited by crazyjohnson; Mar 8, 2003 at 11:22 PM. )
Change your world and you will change your mind.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 8, 2003, 09:25 PM

greymatter is a nice blogging script to move onto after blogger and such

pimephalis
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2003, 12:52 PM

I don't know much, but teoreticly if you have a host that support CGI scripts (teoreticly, since there might be security issues, or..?) and some sort of java ftp that you can access directly from your website, is there possibillities to make use of bloxsom to update your plog from about any machine with internet access? Sorry if this question doesn't make much sence, but easy access is something that would be important in my case. Thanks.
I moved my blog to blosxom from blogger not more than a month ago after Blogger nicely wiped out about four months of posts (I hate myself for not having backed that stuff up). Using blosxom remotely couldn't be easier. You can do this two ways:

1. Write your post locally. This is as simple as create a text file with whatever HTML formatting you wish, and then uploading it to your ISP. Whether there's a web interface for this is up to your ISP, but you can certainly ftp or scp the file up to your web directory.

2. Create the file remotely. I simply ssh into my service provider and use vi to create the text file which contains my post. I can't really explain to you what a joy this is for me; the CLI unsavvy might find this a little intimidating, but basically you create the text file with a terminal text editor and it's like you're working on your own machine.

Blosxom is simply awesome in its simplicity and configurability.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2003, 05:06 PM

LiveJournal is good, free, no banners and stacks of programs to use in loads of different types of OS (including os x)
we don't have time to stop for gas

DAlex
Mar 9, 2003, 05:13 PM

Off topic but, NSXPOWER, that has to be one of the funniest sigs I have read since....ever!

DAlex

I Have Questions  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2003, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by I Have Questions:
I've been left behind in the blog revolution, and it's time to catch up. The problem is that I have no freaking clue what to do. How do you set up the page, what software to use, get a site wihout ads, use my existing webspace, make the site look good???

I've read a ton of stuff on the web about blogging and looked at a lot of the software, but I can't find a basic starters guide that specifically relates to OSX compatible stuff...

Any help out there?
There's been lots of good responses, but no direct answers to my questions...

Here's what I want to do:
Write a blog
Host it on a domain I already own
Make it look good

Here's what I need to know:
How exactly to do what I want!

If you tell me to ftp, scp, ssh, CGI, CLI, or anything else, please explain what that means and how to do it!

Thanks!

pimephalis
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2003, 08:44 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by I Have Questions:

Write a blog
Make it look good
[\QUOTE]

Well, making it look good is mostly up to you, as all of the proposed solutions will give a fairly clean but basic look 'out of the box', but most are very highly configurable.

If you tell me to ftp, scp, ssh, CGI, CLI, or anything else, please explain what that means and how to do it!

Thanks!
Alright, here we go. FTP means 'file transfer protocol', and it is a way to copy a file from one computer to another. SCP means 'secure copy protocol', and it does the same thing but using encryption to keep someone from maliciously finding out what you're doing. Both of these 'programs' will let you move your blog posts from your computer to the computer hosting the domain you're talking about. You can FTP with programs like fetch, but you can also do so with the console by typing 'ftp www.yourdomain.com' and then entering in your username and password when prompted.

SSH means 'secure server shell' and it is the equivalent of 'telnet' except it again uses encryption to keep your user and password secret from prying eyes. If you open up the terminal and type 'ssh yourname@www.yourdomain.com', you'll get logged on to that computer and can then move, modify or create files using the terminal as though you were physically using that machine.

CLI means 'command line interface', and it simply means working with the terminal. Unix and Linux users are generally used to working with cryptic text commands on their computer, and do so on the 'command line'. Think of it as the opposite of the GUI apple worked so hard to create and perfect.

CGI means 'common gateway interface', and it is one of the standard ways of using scripts on the web.

Hope that helps clear up your confusion a little bit.

rsh
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2003, 10:14 PM

Write a blog
Make it look good

Thanks!
You've been given a number of pointers to information that tells you what you want. What you are asking is too complicated to spell out in detail in a forum response.

Once more, here is Movable Type and here are instructions for using it with Mac OS X.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2003, 03:51 AM

Originally posted by pimephalis:
I moved my blog to blosxom from blogger not more than a month ago after Blogger nicely wiped out about four months of posts (I hate myself for not having backed that stuff up). Using blosxom remotely couldn't be easier. [snip]
I am sorry to hear that. I wouldn't want that to happen to me. Is there a way to make backups on blogger? Anyway, I think I'll look more into alternative ways in making blogs when I get a steady internet access later on. Thanks again for all the tips so far everyone.

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2003, 08:11 AM

crazyjohnson:
Looks nice. I need to fire up my freeshell account.
Thanks, I am just using one of the default styles that come with MT 2.63. Simplicity is the mother of all things.

SDF kicks butt, I got an ARPA account a few years ago to be able to play with NetBSD and have shell access. Who needs .MAC anyways

DAlex:
Off topic but, NSXPOWER, that has to be one of the funniest sigs I have read since....ever!
Thanks. Its a quote from someone from /.. S/he used it in a discussion of GTA 3 or something, I just had to use it.

You gotta love /., most of the time you get good discussions going and some comments are simply hilarious to the core. Mod +5 Funny
My Blog & Photos

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2003, 08:14 AM

http://www.kung-foo.tv/

Makes two amazing programs that work with MT 2.63:

* Kung-Log: post to your MT weblog from OS X desktop. The program is nice and customizable. You can add your own HTML tags, upload to your webspace and even change from Stripes to Brushed Metal look if it bothers you ...

* Kung-Tunes: Posts the current song playing in your iTunes to your weblog. I have not tried this yet, but I think this would require a plug-in module to be installed.
My Blog & Photos

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2003, 10:27 AM

http://www.kung-foo.tv/

* Kung-Tunes: Posts the current song playing in your iTunes to your weblog. I have not tried this yet, but I think this would require a plug-in module to be installed.
Not at all. The way I use it is to just upload a plain text-file to the ftp-server and include it into my page with a php-include (if you use php) or a cgi-include if you use .shtml-pages (no configuration needed).

I'm sure there are much better explanations than this, but it's really really simple and it's a really fun way to enhance your blog.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2003, 10:28 AM

Oh and chalk me up for yet another MovableType/Kung-Log-combo fan. It's really the very best system out there.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

pimephalis
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2003, 10:59 AM

I am sorry to hear that. I wouldn't want that to happen to me. Is there a way to make backups on blogger? Anyway, I think I'll look more into alternative ways in making blogs when I get a steady internet access later on. Thanks again for all the tips so far everyone.
The only way I could find/think of is to physically edit every one of your posts and copy the text into your favourite text editor in order to store them locally. After Blogger hosed my stuff, I grabbed what I could and saved it all locally.

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2003, 11:30 AM

This is exactly why you would appreciate MT's Import/Export feature
My Blog & Photos

I Have Questions  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2003, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by pimephalis:
Alright, here we go...
Thanks for the little lesson, pimephalis.

Next question -
I'm currently using Frontpage on a PC to design and maintain a nice little site for family and friends, but I'd like to complete the process of moving all of my work over to my Mac, and I'm having trouble finding a similar program for OSX.

I realize most people hate Frontpage, but it was free (with the version of Office I have) and very easy to use. I created an eight page site with a nice looking template in no time.

At my local Apple Store, I was told the only options are GoLive ($400), learn HTML and use Dreamweaver ($400 + steep learning curve) or use Word! There has got to be something in between - a quick and easy WYSIWYG web page designer with features similar to Frontpage.

What am I looking for? And... how easy will it be to integrate one of the blogging tools mentioned here with it, so that the blog and the main site can all fit together nicely?

pimephalis
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2003, 09:58 PM

Next question -
I'm currently using Frontpage on a PC to design and maintain a nice little site for family and friends, but I'd like to complete the process of moving all of my work over to my Mac, and I'm having trouble finding a similar program for OSX.

I realize most people hate Frontpage, but it was free (with the version of Office I have) and very easy to use. I created an eight page site with a nice looking template in no time.

At my local Apple Store, I was told the only options are GoLive ($400), learn HTML and use Dreamweaver ($400 + steep learning curve) or use Word! There has got to be something in between - a quick and easy WYSIWYG web page designer with features similar to Frontpage.

What am I looking for? And... how easy will it be to integrate one of the blogging tools mentioned here with it, so that the blog and the main site can all fit together nicely?
Well, you could use the blogging tool to create a static page, but the template would likely look quite different that what you have right now. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Mozilla have a more-or-less wysiwyg HTML editor? Meaning, something that works like Frontpage? You could use that to create/modify your existing web page rather easily.

Then again, the little HTML editing that I do is with a text editor, and I'm no pro.

William_F_House
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2003, 10:44 PM

I have to agree with those speaking of MovableType. I just used it to set up my site at Ocean of Words.

It's extremely easy and the setup of MT to your host directories isn't that bad at all.

I'm off to check out Kung-Log now. Thanks for the tip!
- William F. House

Boulder, Colorado
Pre-med student, Radiology Assistant
& sometimes writer

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2003, 10:50 PM

I am having some trouble setting it up with my freeshell account. I seem to be setting everything up fine but having touble with my "weblog config" (after loggin in) - - I get errors when I try to build it.

The html folder is symlinked . . . what did you put for your local site path (and what did your config page look like)? I put: /udd/s/schwarz/html/ (I also tried /schwarz/html/)

I get an error:

Writing to '/udd/s/schwarz/html/blog/index.xml.new' failed: Opening local file '/udd/s/schwarz/html/blog/index.xml.new' failed: No such file or directory

Any tips? How did you set it up? I looked in html. I have no index.xml.new or old. I just have index.html.

Thanks for the help. http://freeshell.org rocks!

SDF kicks butt, I got an ARPA account a few years ago to be able to play with NetBSD and have shell access. Who needs .MAC anyways

midwinter
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2003, 10:59 PM

Next question -

You want Mozilla. It's a web browser with a nice little WYSIWYG html editor in it.

Cheers
Scott

I Have Questions  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2003, 12:10 AM

Originally posted by midwinter:
You want Mozilla. It's a web browser with a nice little WYSIWYG html editor in it.

Cheers
Scott
That's really nothing like Frontpage at all... have you ever used Frontpage XP? I'm looking for something comparable.

midwinter
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2003, 12:21 AM

That's really nothing like Frontpage at all... have you ever used Frontpage XP? I'm looking for something comparable.
I know older versions of Frontpage like the back of my hand. There is no equivalent of it in OS X. You asked for this:

There has got to be something in between - a quick and easy WYSIWYG web page designer with features similar to Frontpage.
While Mozilla may not have all the "features" of Frontpage (many of which require MS services on a server somewhere), the HTML editor in Mozilla is a fine, free, WYSIWYG HTML editor. Perhaps if you told us what kinds of features you're looking for in an HTML editor that would help? What precisely do you need the HTML editor to be able to do that Mozilla doesn't?

If you need anything more advanced than Mozilla, you're going to want Dreamweaver or GoLive. I personally use Dreamweaver.

Cheers
Scott

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2003, 12:23 AM

Learn HTML. Used BBEdit other txt editor. Problem solved. - sorry, I know I am being a dick. But seriously, once you learn it you will not be held back by the limitations or avalability of applications.

I Have Questions  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2003, 12:33 AM

midwinter (et al...)

Let me be a little more specific. I'd like to be able to pick a decent looking theme with pages already laid out. Add, resize, move, etc. the text boxes and other elements like navigation bars, etc. Easily set up a photo album page similar to what .mac does (this is quite simple in Frontpage - select pictures, arrange them, title them, automatically make thumbs, etc.). Easily add text and edit text on the page with easy control over fonts, sizes, etc., similar to what you'd get in a word processor. Easily add pages in the same theme and watch the nav bars and links auto update. Easily integrate some of the blogging tools mentioned on this page.

I don't know any real HTML (other than the standard italic, bold, img src, a href, etc.). The thing I like about Frontpage is that if you aren't a complete moron and have some knowledge of intermediate skill Word functions, you can create a large site with relative ease in a short amount of time. The main goal of the site is simply to keep in touch with family and friends - about 300 people read/check the site regularly, so we're not talking about some sort of mission-critical business site. It just needs to look like it didn't come from Geocities or AOL homepages, and it needs to be quick and easy to maintain.

Hopefully this will give you a better idea of what I'm looking for and will generate some leads...

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 11, 2003, 04:42 AM

I am having some trouble setting it up with my freeshell account. I seem to be setting everything up fine but having touble with my "weblog config" (after loggin in) - - I get errors when I try to build it.

The html folder is symlinked . . . what did you put for your local site path (and what did your config page look like)? I put: /udd/s/schwarz/html/ (I also tried /schwarz/html/)

I get an error:

Writing to '/udd/s/schwarz/html/blog/index.xml.new' failed: Opening local file '/udd/s/schwarz/html/blog/index.xml.new' failed: No such file or directory

Any tips? How did you set it up? I looked in html. I have no index.xml.new or old. I just have index.html.

Thanks for the help. http://freeshell.org rocks!
A: Ok, "html" is not a folder and MT does not follow symlinks. Tha actual path for you will be /www/nz/s/schwarz/

Tip: Remember to use "secure" to publish your page, is you use "hpg" the files will still be owned by you and MT will give write errors.

Tip: Remember to "chmod 777" and "chmod 755" cgi scripts and appropriate directories.

Tip: I see you have "docs" folder uploaded, which is not required since it is just the online manual

Tip: Remember to delete "mt-load.cgi", since there are still people out there hacking people's blogs by running that script.

That should be it! Let me know once you have it running
My Blog & Photos

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2003, 11:49 AM

A: Ok, "html" is not a folder and MT does not follow symlinks. Tha actual path for you will be /www/nz/s/schwarz/
Thats funny. Yea, I tried /www/nz/s/schwarz/html/ -- I was almost there ; however, /www/nz/s/schwarz/ does not work either.

Now it tells me: Writing to '/www/nz/s/schwarz/index.xml.new' failed: Opening local file '/www/nz/s/schwarz/index.xml.new' failed: Permission denied

The thing is, I dont see an index.xml.new file in my html folder? No matter, I think it has something to do with your next tip: something that I have not considered.

Tip: Remember to use "secure" to publish your page, is you use "hpg" the files will still be owned by you and MT will give write errors.
No idea what that is. Is that a freeshell thing? -- I just checked. It is a freeshell thing but I have never used it before. What do I secure? Shouldnt I make files owned by 'nobody'?

Tip: Remember to "chmod 777" and "chmod 755" cgi scripts and appropriate directories.
Yep.

Tip: I see you have "docs" folder uploaded, which is not required since it is just the online manual
Well, I do not have MT installed yet so I still need the documents, no?

Tip: Remember to delete "mt-load.cgi", since there are still people out there hacking people's blogs by running that script.
Even if I try to run mt-load.cgi it just says that I have already installed the system and shuts down. I am keeping it around for now so I can start over (delete the db and mt-load again) if I need to.

That should be it! Let me know once you have it running
Thanks. Thanks for the help.

Flash2000
Mar 11, 2003, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
There are no OSX-specific books on blogging, but O'Reilly has a good book on the subject.

The easiest ways to start a blog are Blogger and LiveJournal. Depending on what you want to use your blog for, I'd recommend one of these. If you have a lot of friends and are looking for a way to keep in touch, use LiveJournal, whose Friends functionality is absolutely awesome for this. If you don't, then use Blogger: it has features which can help integrate you better into the "blogosphere" at large.

You'll need an invite code if you want to do LiveJournal, but I have a couple of spares; PM me and I can hook you up.
Hey I could go for a livejournal code if you have some to spare with a Macnn lurker on the boards, I tried to PM you but your box is full, either way just let me know with a PM if you can.
Current Macs:
15" PB 1.5ghz G4, 512 mem, 80 HD, 128 vram
Dual 2.5 PM G5, 1.5 ram, 240 HD, 6800 GT
20" ACD
40 Gig iPod Photo

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 11, 2003, 12:36 PM

No idea what that is. Is that a freeshell thing? -- I just checked. It is a freeshell thing but I have never used it before. What do I secure? Shouldnt I make files owned by 'nobody'?
Yes it makes the directory owned by �nobody' Makes little sense, but that will allow MT to write files and make your homepage more secure from cracking.

[QUOTE]secure allows you to set secure permission on files that might contain sensitive information (mysql passwords, etc.). It toggles file ownership between 'username' and 'nobody'. WHen the files or directory is owned by username, it can be edited, but no read by the webserver. When owned by 'nobody', it can be served securely by the webserver.[/QUTOE]

When I was looking for your folder on /www filesystem I actually saw 'index.xml' and 'index.xml.new' in there? What gives?

The path to you 'html' folder is correct you can check that by cd /, cd www, cd nz, cd s, cd schwarz

The issue is probably with file permissions ... provided mt-check.cgi didn't return any errors. Try redoing the permissions on files again per MT instructions and 'secure'. And see if that helps.

You should also check MT's troubleshoting section they have explanations for most common errors on there.
My Blog & Photos

I Have Questions  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2003, 04:51 PM

Any help on topic?

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2003, 05:15 PM

Well. It worked! Thanks so much for your help. I had a good command of MT and how to install it.

It seems really stupid to have /www/nz/s/schwarz/ instead of /www/nz/s/schwarz/html/ as my local site path or is it just me?

Also, it looks like secure did it for me. The only thing is, it wont let me cd to html. I guess in order to edit files in there I have to secure html then edit the files and when I am done secure html again?

Thanks again. The default page is up now - now let me see if I can get around to changing it .

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nsxpower:
Yes it makes the directory owned by �nobody' Makes little sense, but that will allow MT to write files and make your homepage more secure from cracking.

secure allows you to set secure permission on files that might contain sensitive information (mysql passwords, etc.). It toggles file ownership between 'username' and 'nobody'. WHen the files or directory is owned by username, it can be edited, but no read by the webserver. When owned by 'nobody', it can be served securely by the webserver.[/QUTOE]

When I was looking for your folder on /www filesystem I actually saw 'index.xml' and 'index.xml.new' in there? What gives?

The path to you 'html' folder is correct you can check that by cd /, cd www, cd nz, cd s, cd schwarz

The issue is probably with file permissions ... provided mt-check.cgi didn't return any errors. Try redoing the permissions on files again per MT instructions and 'secure'. And see if that helps.

You should also check MT's troubleshoting section they have explanations for most common errors on there.

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2003, 04:30 AM

Also, it looks like secure did it for me. The only thing is, it wont let me cd to html. I guess in order to edit files in there I have to secure html then edit the files and when I am done secure html again?
Yes, you have to 'secure' before you upload or cd files to you web directory and then 'secure' again to get it back working

I am going to check it out in a bit.

Considering how boring and annoying my posts can be ... and in order to avoid it, I am giving authoring priveleges to any one of my friends that wish for it. More people generating content is a good thing. Basically, I am trying to make it into a community blog of sorts - lets see if it actually works

William_F_House: Thanks for poping by my blog. Nothing good or constructive there, bhut its only been up for a few days. I am really curious to see it grow into something better.
My Blog & Photos

macmend
Apr 1, 2003, 08:58 AM

Oh god i was thinking of doing a weblog and did a search to see what came up and this is info overload.

What I need is a pinned post with a simple recomendation, for me as a beginer to start a web log on my own hosted domain.

Something that would ease me in gently, yes I can already do html/php etc but I taught myself starting years ago using bbedit and clarishomepage.

I need something that will start me out like that so I can get up and runnng and whenI have the time ramp it all up

maybe I need a poll of the best blog s/w for OSX
macmend.com - the home of mac troubleshooting

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2003, 09:54 AM

Hey, any idea what is up with the freeshell servers?

Yes, you have to 'secure' before you upload or cd files to you web directory and then 'secure' again to get it back working

I am going to check it out in a bit.

Considering how boring and annoying my posts can be ... and in order to avoid it, I am giving authoring priveleges to any one of my friends that wish for it. More people generating content is a good thing. Basically, I am trying to make it into a community blog of sorts - lets see if it actually works

William_F_House: Thanks for poping by my blog. Nothing good or constructive there, bhut its only been up for a few days. I am really curious to see it grow into something better.

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2003, 11:17 AM

They've been moving And I mistakenly killed my site ... hence rebuilding ... but lazy, so don't hold your breath. Anyhow, here is the newsletter for today (not an April Fool's joke).

----------------
S D F Newsletter
----------------
01-APR-03
Topics:
[0] Special Notice.
[1] Move Status and Information.
[2] ARPA member Survey and Vote.
[3] Ways to support SDF.
[0] Special Notice.
I'm hoping this will be the last time that I email all ARPA members.
I would like to ask to please watch for posts to bboard:<ARPA> and
bboard:<ANNOUNCE> for future newsletters. I know that I've not be
writing these regularly, but as you can guess, I've been tending to
more pressing issues.
I've been in frequent correspondence with FBI agents in regards to
the DDoS attack that caused NWLINK to drop us as provider. We've
recent accumulated some new evidence as well, a few eyebrows were
raised at the FBI when they heard we spent just under $10,000 to
move our machines to Dallas as we could not find hosting in Seattle
due to the 'bad reputation' we gained from NWLINK's action.
[1] Move Status and Information.
The move is 100% complete and I hope it was completely transparent to
most of you. We are on entirely new hardware (except for the 21
36.4GB disk drives .. those were shipped down from Seattle).
50 SDF members participated in a decommission party for the last
AS1200 (the old SDF) waiting to be shutdown in Seattle. The chat
log can be reviewed at:
ftp://sdf.lonestar.org/pub/sdf/histo...commission.txt
[2] ARPA membership survey and vote
This is important to make your voice heard in shaping our membership
dues schedule. You can take the survey by typing 'survey'. If this
survey produces results that are very different than our current
membership survey, then we'll have a formal vote. One of the major
changes would be the *inclusion* of the $17 domain registration fee
in the VHOST and DNS memberships. Quite a bit of savings for you.
But hopefully, that will encourage members to register and host more
domains on sdf.
[3] Ways to support SDF.
People always ask me how can they support SDF?

* At the moment, we don't need any hardware. Infact, we have some
hardware that YOU might be interested in .. keep your eyes on the
bboard for SDF auctions.
* Try answering other member's questions on the bboard.
* We could use a good lawyer who is very enthusiastic about our case!
* If you wrote a letter to the BBB or ATG, we recommend that you send
a copy of your letter to the EFF (www.eff.org). They have told us
that we need to tell them how they can help us in our case. Clearly,
our rights have been violated. We need to show our numbers.
* The 'pledge' command is a great way to make a pledge of support of
any amount to SDF (minimum $2 a year ;-)
* Consider one of the additional memberships
* Teach a class at a local community college using local terminals
and the internet to connect to SDF.
* Tell friends at work or school about SDF.
Thank all of you for your support of SDF. I really appreciate you all
and your support of what we're doing. Also, thank you for tolerating me
while I go through caffeine withdrawals on bboard:<REQUESTS> ;-)
My Blog & Photos

Synotic
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2003, 04:37 PM

Any help on topic?
Before telling you it's impossible... Maybe you want to look at Freeway? There's a demo available, search VersionTracker.com or MacUpdate.com

maclava
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2003, 04:54 PM

You could also try iblogg
here is the link http://www.lifli.com/Products/iBlog/main.htm

Forum Links
Forum Rules