Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How to buy a gun? (the free-for-all version)

How to buy a gun? (the free-for-all version)
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2011, 02:48 PM

As a partner to the other thread, this one is exactly the same but with the OP not minding you descending into tangents. So, as asked in that thread:

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
I'm not really understanding a part of this thread.
Namely, how does one go about retrieving one's gun (from pocket, holster, glovebox, etc.) while a carjacker has his gun already pointed at your head?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2011, 02:55 PM

I was thinking the exact same thing, seems like getting carjacked at gunpoint and pulling your own gun is a great way to get killed instead of just robbed.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2011, 02:58 PM

You just always need to drive with your gun in your hand. Duh.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2011, 03:02 PM

Perhaps we should allow someone who has actually been carjacked to chime in. I imagine it is possible for someone to approach the car without having a gun already in their hand.

The real question is if you saw someone walking toward your car with a gun drawn wouldn't you slam on the gas?
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 8, 2011, 03:02 PM

Well, given the diverse population MacNN, I expect someone can weigh in here with a personal experience.

Whether they will knowing what will follow is anyone's guess.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2011, 03:05 PM

I hear that if you drive an SUV you are less likely to get carjacked since it has way more ground clearance than a car or even a subaru and so carjackers don't have the right angle.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2011, 03:07 PM

I always grab the gun off of whoever was my last, uh, assignment.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2011, 03:23 PM

If you don't have the chance to catch them off guard, you're probably f@#$ed. There are just so many variables in a situation like that. I will say, if you have a really good idea that they'll likely kill you anyway, which could be a tough thing to gauge, you just take the risk, go for their gun hand, and draw. Maybe they'll miss, or just wound you, and you can unload into them.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2011, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Maybe they'll miss, or just wound you, and you can unload into them.
Sounds like a few past girlfriends.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

bstone
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2011, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing, seems like getting carjacked at gunpoint and pulling your own gun is a great way to get killed instead of just robbed.
I absolutely agree. Which is why if I find myself in that situation again I would do what I did before- give the guy whatever he wanted and run into the backyard and hide behind a tree.

The reason for purchasing a gun now is to protect myself from a murderous psychopath who may soon be released from jail. I had him arrested and I have little doubt that prison has not help him deal with his unspeakable anger. Recall, he tried to kill his 5 y/o daughter.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2011, 04:16 PM

There's only one way: shot everyone that approaches your car. Period.

Once he is dead, you can check if it was a cop or a carjacker.

-t

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2011, 04:46 PM

If he couldn't even kill a five year old you probably don't have a lot to worry about.

(too soon?)

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

bstone
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2011, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
If he couldn't even kill a five year old you probably don't have a lot to worry about.

(too soon?)
He couldn't do it cause the cops showed up. A year in jail probably hasn't helped his anger and murderous intent. Or do you disagree?
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2011, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Buy an armored car

reader50
Administrator
Feb 8, 2011, 05:11 PM

Drive a suitable vehicle to deter attacks.

Or you could take a more offense-oriented approach.

Further, always park next to cars that are substantially more expensive. Don't be the best target.

tightsocks
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2011, 05:40 PM

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2011, 07:33 PM

I wonder what the percentages are for being carjacked with your windows rolled up and the doors locked?

I'm going to guess it's close to zero.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2011, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I wonder what the percentages are for being carjacked with your windows rolled up and the doors locked?

I'm going to guess it's close to zero.
You would guess wrong. One of the owners of a local gun shop, where I took my Concealed Pistol License class, survived an attempted carjacking in such a scenario. He killed the perp and walked away a living, free man. If you're sitting at a light, and somebody walks up to you with a gun aimed at you, you're either going to capitulate or, if you're armed, shoot. Most cars today have air conditioning, and all have heaters, so the chances of the windows being up are pretty good, yet carjacking is still fairly common.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 8, 2011, 08:05 PM

In actuality, carjackers tend to behave as if merely "having a gun in their pocket" makes them unstoppable. Police reports show that would-be carjackers tend to jerk open doors and grab at people, offering the weapon only after getting their hands on the driver. Thus, "at gunpoint" only happens once the driver vocally objects. Were the driver to simply produce a gun pointed at the would-be carjacker, said felon usually high-tails it away.

As for "out of your pocket," firearms training that goes along with such things as concealed carry licenses typically includes appropriate carry methods. Pockets aren't particularly appropriate. In Texas, for example, once in one's car, one need not continue to have the gun "on their person," but can stash it in some handy location-between driver's seat and console is rather popular, I'm told.

Finally, there are situations where carjackers, instead of pulling the driver out of the car, instead push the driver across toward the passenger seat. One person did this in New Orleans quite a while back (early 1990s I believe). The little old lady he was going to kidnap while stealing her car did not like his plan. She shot him with a small pistol she kept in her purse.

I concur with subego's point. It's hard to overpower someone who's locked in his car. When the contest is between handgun and car, the car wins every time. Keep your doors locked, keep your windows closed, and you are almost certainly not in danger of being carjacked.

Of course Trunk Monkey is another option...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2011, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
I'm not really understanding a part of this thread.
Namely, how does one go about retrieving one's gun (from pocket, holster, glovebox, etc.) while a carjacker has his gun already pointed at your head?
I suspect your premise is that defensive concealed carrying is pointless because the defending individual will always be in a reactive position to the offending gunman; and therefore be shot before having any chance to withdraw a weapon.

But this would then be an argument against any law enforcement or security officer wearing a side-arm because again, they would always be shot before withdrawing their pistol.

The fact is, a major factor in self defense is situational awareness, and LE officers and (hopefully) those who are taking a course in conceal carry, are trained to respond to threats before it comes to withdrawing a weapon after the offender has a weapon aimed at you.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2011, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
You would guess wrong.
I don't see how one anecdote invalidates my guess.

so the chances of the windows being up are pretty good
This does not match my experience.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2011, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
When the contest is between handgun and car, the car wins every time. Keep your doors locked, keep your windows closed, and you are almost certainly not in danger of being carjacked.
Windows closed ?

Uhm, I think it entirely depends on how much criminal energy / resolve the carjacker has.
A closed window is no match for a bullet.

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 8, 2011, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Windows closed ?

Uhm, I think it entirely depends on how much criminal energy / resolve the carjacker has.
A closed window is no match for a bullet.

-t
You give the bad guy too much credit. Also you give his gun too much credit. A windshield will stop most handgun bullets. Your front tires over his feet will change his intentions. Side window? Hit the gas and he has to trot to keep up. Really, you are VERY safe inside your car. And he's not likely to try to make too much noise with his gun if he's on the defensive running-away from you or trying to catch up.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2011, 09:58 PM

@turtle,

The point isn't that it's impossible, the point is it's easier to carjack someone with an open window.

Criminals tend to take the path of least resistance.

Again, without even looking, I'm going to guess that there's a direct correlation between the number of carjackings, and how warm it is outside.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2011, 09:59 PM

You give the bad guy too much credit. Also you give his gun too much credit. A windshield will stop most handgun bullets. Your front tires over his feet will change his intentions. Side window? Hit the gas and he has to trot to keep up. Really, you are VERY safe inside your car. And he's not likely to try to make too much noise with his gun if he's on the defensive running-away from you or trying to catch up.
It all depends on your situation.

If your car is in standstill (like at a traffic light), and the carjacker is suddenly next to your side window, he's gotta be really trigger-slow to not have a good shot at your head.
All it takes is two successive shots at your head. The first will take out the window, the second you.

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2011, 10:02 PM

A windshield will stop most handgun bullets.
Or at the least, deflect it somewhat.

Even rifle bullets can get deflected by tall grass.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2011, 10:03 PM

Engrish much ?

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2011, 10:10 PM

It all depends on your situation.

If your car is in standstill (like at a traffic light), and the carjacker is suddenly next to your side window, he's gotta be really trigger-slow to not have a good shot at your head.
All it takes is two successive shots at your head. The first will take out the window, the second you.

-t
You'd make a lousy carjacker.

Rule One: don't carjack when your escape route is blocked.

Rule Two: don't carjack in places that have witnesses, like streets busy enough to need a stoplight.

Edit: and if given the choice in this situation, I'd still rather duck and gun it than fumble for a pistol. V8 FTW.
( Last edited by subego; Feb 8, 2011 at 10:23 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 8, 2011, 10:10 PM

Or at the least, deflect it somewhat.

Engrish much ?

-t
He's right. At relatively moderate ranges, grass, twigs, etc. can deflect high power rifle bullets.

But I'm not saying windshields are "bulletproof" or anything. Only that they aren't going to shatter like window glass. They will absorb a 9mm round easily, usually without any spray of glass inside the vehicle. Poor thug! He gets up the nerve to actually shoot AT someone and the windshield keeps his bullet from getting to the person.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2011, 10:12 PM

Engrish much ?

-t
You'll have to point out my mistake more specifically. I'm stll missing it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2011, 10:15 PM

He gets up the nerve to actually shoot AT someone and the windshield keeps his bullet from getting to the person.
This is another angle. People who threaten to shoot you aren't all that interested in shooting you.

If someone really wants to shoot you, they just do it.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2011, 10:40 PM

You'll have to point out my mistake more specifically. I'm stll missing it.
We were talking about gLass (windows) first, and you responded bringing up gRass.

-t

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2011, 11:05 PM

Get out of car. Give them car. Shoot them as they leave.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 8, 2011, 11:14 PM

We were talking about gLass (windows) first, and you responded bringing up gRass.

-t
Do you think he meant to talk about tall glass?

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2011, 11:35 PM

This is another angle. People who threaten to shoot you aren't all that interested in shooting you.

If someone really wants to shoot you, they just do it.
^What he said.

I love my car but I'm not going to get into a gunfight defending it.

But if I think for a second that you're likely to shoot me, I'll break your arm and shoot you with your own damn gun. Twice. Once to stop you and once for fun.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2011, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Do you think he meant to talk about tall glass?
Of course not.

-t

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 8, 2011, 11:50 PM

Clearly.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2011, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Clearly.
*sigh*

Are you one of those people that need every joke explained ?

-t

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2011, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
I hear that if you drive an SUV you are less likely to get carjacked since it has way more ground clearance than a car or even a subaru and so carjackers don't have the right angle.
Not really

On another note, my cousin was killed in a carjack at a gas station. He gave them what they asked for they turned around shooting as they left and killed him. After about a 3 month investigation they caught him. (A 14 year old!) Some of these idiots shoot you for not even having anything so best thing I can tell you is to ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2011, 12:36 AM

*sigh*

Are you one of those people that need every joke explained ?

-t
Irony!1

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Get out of car. Give them car. Shoot them as they leave.
And you go to jail. You are only allowed to shoot if your life is in jeopardy. A Detroit citizen did that last year, and his bullet went through the wall of a house, instead of his departing vehicle. He's been convicted of involuntary manslaughter, for killing a grandmother sitting on her couch.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2011, 09:07 AM

Well, it stopped her from leaving her teeth on the vanity.

There's always a silver lining.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2011, 09:52 AM

He's been convicted of involuntary manslaughter, for killing a grandmother sitting on her couch.
WHAT ?

It's the grandma's fault, she lived in Detroit. She had it coming.

-t

reader50
Administrator
Feb 9, 2011, 11:37 AM

And you go to jail. You are only allowed to shoot if your life is in jeopardy. A Detroit citizen did that last year, and his bullet went through the wall of a house, instead of his departing vehicle.
See, this is why you should get drunk and shoot up the town, not the other way around. Plausible deniability.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2011, 01:02 PM

After the car jacker throws you out of the car, shoot the gas tank. The trick is not letting him know you have a gun.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2011, 03:16 PM

As someone else said, your number one tool for self defense is situational awareness. If someone looks suspicious, don't let them put you into a vulnerable position. Cross the street if you're walking. Run a red light if you see someone walking up to your car from behind. Always leave room between your car and the car in front of you. Stuff like that.

Another thing to consider is that not every carjacker is going to have a gun. Some might use a knife or a baseball bat, if they do and you can't drive away, you can shoot them in self-defense. If there are multiple unarmed people being aggressive towards you, same deal. If you're old, small, or a woman and your life is threatened, pull the gun. You always have the right to defend yourself. You can't go around starting fights and then pull a gun, but if you are threatened with serious bodily harm and can't escape, do it.

Montezuma58
Senior User
Feb 9, 2011, 05:11 PM

I don't know about getting a gun. But I guess this is a good way to get rid of a gun if you need a strap on more than your 9mil:
Alabama sex toy shop to trade guns off streets for fun between sheets

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2011, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
After the car jacker throws you out of the car, shoot the gas tank. The trick is not letting him know you have a gun.
mythbusters.jpg

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2011, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Not really

On another note, my cousin was killed in a carjack at a gas station. He gave them what they asked for they turned around shooting as they left and killed him. After about a 3 month investigation they caught him. (A 14 year old!) Some of these idiots shoot you for not even having anything so best thing I can tell you is to ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings.
Sorry about your cousin. But seriously, you have been here longer than I have so surely you should have known that I was joking. I even threw in the extra subaru reference in case the general SUV comment wasn't enough.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2011, 09:42 PM

I remember one of the times I got car-jacked and I told the jacker about this awesome pulley system. We've been great friends ever since.

Forum Links
Forum Rules