Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Apple tablet / netbook / large iPhone is coming for real

Apple tablet / netbook / large iPhone is coming for real (Page 12)
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2010, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
Unless they want to make their install base happier. The lack of copy and paste was retarded, and so is the lack of flash.
Tell the crap sites you visit to use Web standards rather than requiring me to use a crashy, processor-intensive, proprietary plugin. You know, to make their userbase happier.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2010, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Maybe this is still the hold-up?

The best explanation we've seen so far is from streaming media analyst Dan Rayburn, who reported in October that Hulu was waiting to launch its subscription service before launching its app -- which is already "ready to go."
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2010, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by shiff View Post
I do not think Amazon really wanted to make the Kindle in the first place. They would much rather sell their content on a hugely, popular device instead of having to support their own device. At the time, there was just nothing they could really use and give customers the experience they wanted.
Interesting thought.

However, the question is if Amazon would still back out of the "hardware supplier" corner they maneuvered themselves into. They are quite invested into the Kindle now, it accounts for lots of Sales and Profit.

-t

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2010, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
I love the image in the original story. This would be awesome...

Wow... I thought this was a joke, yet it seems much closer to the real deal than many of the speculators' mock-ups.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2010, 05:51 PM

The iPad also works as a deadly weapon.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2010, 05:52 PM

It works quite well for me and everyone I know. Maybe you need a new computer?
Quite well?

So you mean that watching a grainy video, not in HQ, that uses 80% of a 2ghz C2D's power is quite well? I call it complete BS that uses about 10 times more resources than it should.

Sure it works, and I can watch full HD on youtube but it maxes out both my cores, which is ridiculous, I don't even see that kind of CPU usage when I dual-boot with Fusion.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2010, 05:53 PM

I was expecting more. All that buildup for this?

Now, if it ran a full version of OS X, maybe.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2010, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Heh. It's not even a giant iPhone. It's a giant iPod touch.

Not interested.
Seconded.

It seems to be aimed at plain consumers. It remains to be seen how many of those will pay $800 for one when lots of crappy netbooks go for ~$300. However, the fact that you can also get this giant iPod touch for as low as $499 is nice. At this price point I can see them actually selling quite a few. Not to me, but if there's any trickle down to the iPhone I'll be waiting. I already use my iPhone as an ebook reader. For computing I'll gladly stick with my MBP though.
•

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane

I think it's quite amusing when people are disappointed that their wildest wet dreams did not come true.

How unexpected

-t

osiris
Addicted to MacNN

That would've been the ultimate. But then, Apple would lose so much control over content, and I think the big money on this is the App store/iTunes.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2010, 06:00 PM

Honestly, it's a great, great price for something so brilliant, I can see this replacing my Mac for 90% of my tasks at home watching tele, so much better than the iPhone web browsing and so much easier to use than the MacBook.

Cannot wait. Bought.
MacBook Pro 17" 2.2 GHz quad-core, 2x4GB 1333MHz RAM, 750GB Hard Drive, Intel HD Graphics 3000,
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5, Mid 2011

MacBook Air 13" 1.7 GHz dual-core Intel i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Mid 2011
iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2010, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Seconded.

It seems to be aimed at plain consumers.
Who (in their right mind) expected this to be a Pro device ?

90% of Apple's business today is aimed at consumers.
Was anybody seriously expecting Apple to rediscover the Pro market with a tablet device ?

-t

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2010, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by kenna View Post
Honestly, it's a great, great price for something so brilliant, I can see this replacing my Mac for 90% of my tasks at home watching tele, so much better than the iPhone web browsing and so much easier to use than the MacBook.

Cannot wait. Bought.
Exactly. This thing will complement my living room quite nicely.

If I need a Mac, I'll go in my office or my bedroom.

Also, this is awesome for travel. I rarely create content while traveling for leisure, so this is the perfect device.

-t

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2010, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Way to miss the point. It's not about consumers vs. professionals, the point is consumers vs. creators. This device is for people who read websites, books, and email. It's for viewing and listening. If OTOH you want to create content - which is something many consumers (not just pros!) do on portable computers - this device is not for you.
•

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2010, 06:05 PM

Way to miss the point. It's not about consumers vs. professionals, the point is consumers vs. creators. This device is for people who read websites, books, and email. It's for viewing and listening. If OTOH you want to create content - which is something many consumers do on portable computers - this device is not for you.
True, but for us that create content and are going somewhere where a laptop would be too much, this is a great device....except the lack of a cam

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2010, 06:06 PM

I think it's quite amusing when people are disappointed that their wildest wet dreams did not come true.
I'm always disappointed that I don't wake up to Christina Hendricks at my side.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2010, 06:07 PM

Way to miss the point. It's not about consumers vs. professionals, the point is consumers vs. creators. This device is for people who read websites, books, and email. It's for viewing and listening. If OTOH you want to create content - which is something many consumers (not just pros!) do on portable computers - this device is not for you.
I agree, this is not a CREATOR device, at least not in the same league as a MBP.

However, think of the netbooks: how many people buy this as mere consumers of stuff, and not creating anything other than emails and Facebook posts.

The iPad will eat a good chunk out of the netbook market.
Plus the Kindle Killer aspect, this is a winner.

-t

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2010, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I'm always disappointed that I don't wake up to Christina Hendricks at my side.
I know, she's with me

-t

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 27, 2010, 06:08 PM

I think this, rather than any features or lack thereof, is really my gripe with the iPad.

Had this just been sort of quietly introduced as another product to complement the iPod Touch and the iPhone for those who needed more screen estate more than they needed fits-in-my-pocket portability, I’d have been pleasantly surprised and possibly even impressed.

With the unparallelled amount of hype that’s been surrounding this thing for the past God knows how long, however, the fact that it’s just another well-thought-out, well-designed, attractive product from Apple becomes disappointing.

If you ask me, Apple overshot the hype machinery far too much on this one. On the other hand, if they hadn’t, the iPad would probably not sell nearly as well as it undoubtedly will now. So from Apple’s perspective, they might not have overshot the hype machinery at all. It’s just from our [meaning people like MacNN regulars, people who are exposed to all the hype and take a more or less active interest in it] perspective that less hype would have given the released product a better impression.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2010, 06:11 PM

People in the market for a $300 netbook probably won't buy a $700 iPad. OTOH people who otherwise would have bought an $899 MB might now consider this. As a stockholder I'd like to know which one drives higher profit.
•

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2010, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
If you ask me, Apple overshot the hype machinery far too much on this one. On the other hand, if they hadn’t, the iPad would probably not sell nearly as well as it undoubtedly will now. So from Apple’s perspective, they might not have overshot the hype machinery at all. It’s just from our [meaning people like MacNN regulars, people who are exposed to all the hype and take a more or less active interest in it] perspective that less hype would have given the released product a better impression.
Excellent point.
•

OreoCookie
Jan 27, 2010, 06:15 PM

Unless they want to make their install base happier. The lack of copy and paste was retarded, and so is the lack of flash.
Flash should just roll over and die. I'm so glad I can use youtube without maxing out one core. On a 2 GHz Intel machine.

In any case, I'm quite happy. I hope I can resist the initial `want one' temptation. I like the idea of adding a keyboard and using it as a text editor. If someone also gives me a text editor that is capable of LaTeX, I'll order one now
(Seeing as there is a keyboard, I think it's not that unlikely )
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2010, 06:16 PM

People in the market for a $300 netbook probably won't buy a $700 iPad. OTOH people who otherwise would have bought an $899 MB might now consider this. As a stockholder I'd like to know which one drives higher profit.
Yes, it might not lure purveyors of the cheapest netbooks.

However, in terms of customer satisfaction, this will be much better than anything a Win netbook can ever deliver. Think of all the Windows crap problems that you can get with netbooks. The iPad will just work, like the iPhone and the iPods.

And, nobody mentioned this yet: could there be any better way to recruit future MB(P) and OS X owners than the iPad ?

-t

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2010, 06:17 PM

I do kind of want one, because I'm expecting some cool apps for it and it looks sweet for watching TV shows (which I use my computer for a lot), but I already have two laptops and a friggin' iPhone. I don't think I could get much more mobile without floating away.
Chuck
___

OreoCookie
Jan 27, 2010, 06:21 PM

BTW, Paul Thurrot already sings the iPad's euology, hehe.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 27, 2010, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I do kind of want one, because I'm expecting some cool apps for it and it looks sweet for watching TV shows (which I use my computer for a lot), but I already have two laptops and a friggin' iPhone. I don't think I could get much more mobile without floating away.
My biggest beef with watching downloaded content on my iPod Touch is having to convert it - even with a C2D it takes forever and then I have to deal with storing two versions of the same file.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 27, 2010, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Actually, the part of it I read (the last three paragraphs) seem to say pretty much exactly what I was saying a few posts up, except I’m more positive about how the iPad will sell.

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2010, 06:31 PM

Actually, the part of it I read (the last three paragraphs) seem to say pretty much exactly what I was saying a few posts up, except I’m more positive about how the iPad will sell.
Are you seriously trying hard to be in Paul's camp ?

-t

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2010, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Does anything think Thurrott is going to be non-biased against an Apple product?

Puh-leez.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2010, 06:35 PM

Stolen from failblog.org

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2010, 06:36 PM

If they’re going to do pay-as-you-go for the 3G, it would’ve been sweet if AT&T had daily rates for connecting, too. I wonder if they’d even lose much by going with $1.50 for 24hrs or $30 for a month.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 27, 2010, 06:39 PM

Are you seriously trying hard to be in Paul's camp ?

-t
Looks more like he’s trying to be in mine.

I don’t read Paul Thurrott, I barely know who he is. But these parts seem true enough to me (with a line or two towards the end cut out):
The problem here, in case it isn't obvious, is that the iPad doesn't live up to the hype. Arguably, no product could: Apple's tablet entry has been the subject of intensive scrutiny and speculation for months. But the design, functionality, and price of the iPad are all simply in line with expectations, and unlike with previous high-profile launches, like that of the iPhone, Apple didn't really push the innovation needle forward in any appreciable way.

While not unprecedented, Apple's inability to generate any meaningful excitement at Wednesday's event speaks to the dark side of the company's secretive ways. If they company had simply come clean on its plans earlier, it could have avoided the letdown.
(I don’t agree with his view that Apple should have come clean—I just think they should have turned down the hype machinery a few notches, so the world wasn’t expecting the Eighth Wonder of the World.)

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2010, 06:40 PM

I could see this being useful for business purposes as well as class. It's rude in many situations to bust out laptops and start clicking away, so I may get one solely to take notes and pull up information during my classes and business meetings (I'm in law school).

Oddly I'm not sure if this is a great "living room" device for me.

OreoCookie
Jan 27, 2010, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Does anything think Thurrott is going to be non-biased against an Apple product?
I've read it for sheer amusement. It seemed ready made before the launch anyway.

downinflames68
Baninated
Jan 27, 2010, 06:46 PM

90% of Apple's business today is aimed at consumers.
Was anybody seriously expecting Apple to rediscover the Pro market with a tablet device ?

-t
Sort of. All tablet PCs use wacom drivers, and have a screen that uses a stylus. This means that they are awesome for sketching, photoshop, illustrator, and even 3d modeling since CV points are so fun to click on with a trackpad. If it had been a "pro" tablet with a stylus, like the ModBook, I would ahve sold my 13" MBP and 12" Cintiq to buy it, to have a more compact solution.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2010, 06:46 PM

2 random comments about accessories: it’s nice that the keyboard has a pass-through 30-pin connector. It’s weird that the camera connection kit is 2 separate dongles (for USB and SD) instead of both functionalities smooshed into one.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2010, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
My biggest beef with watching downloaded content on my iPod Touch is having to convert it - even with a C2D it takes forever and then I have to deal with storing two versions of the same file.
True, but I'm betting it will be possible to get a better media player on the iPad. We'll have to wait until we see the actual hardware, but I bet it will be possible to make, say, a Perian-based player that syncs with Boxee.
Chuck
___

OreoCookie
Jan 27, 2010, 06:55 PM

@Oisin
What I found funny about Thurrot's `piece' was the standard rhetoric (there have been tablet pcs for ages, it's not as if Apple has invented this, etc. etc. etc.) rather than the fact that they hype was extreme.

I can only remember three other instances when there was a similar amount of hype: (1) the introduction of the G5 in 2003, (2) the switch to Intel and (3) the launch of the iPhone. It's very natural that products don't `live up' to the hype. Given Apple's track record, I must say `it's your own damn fault if you're disappointed'

The iPad is pretty much what we have expected: a big iPod touch running a higher-res variant of the iPhone OS whose UI is based around an extended (?) version of multitouch. Size, approximate weight and such were all dictated by the usage.

But: Apple's genius is to make this product category work -- if they can. That's by no means a foregone conclusion. To me it was never really about the specs, but what Apples does with it. That's independent of hype. Naysayers were mocking Apple's first iPod. It turned out to become the dominant player on the mp3 market. And I think it's the same here: this is a device that has little to no competition in an emerging market (if there is a big market). It's not clear to me whether the iPad is going to be a smashing success, but I think the chances aren't that bad actually.

Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2010, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Heh. It's not even a giant iPhone. It's a giant iPod touch.

Not interested.
Shaquille O'Neil is just a big midget.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2010, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
Shaquille O'Neil is just a big midget.
I believe the correct spelling is "midgit".
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2010, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
But then, Apple would lose so much control over content, and I think the big money on this is the App store/iTunes.
According to Monday's financial results the store operates at a little over even. I think the store is there for Apple to sell devices.

Exactly. This thing will complement my living room quite nicely.

If I need a Mac, I'll go in my office or my bedroom.

Also, this is awesome for travel. I rarely create content while traveling for leisure, so this is the perfect device.

-t
This is exactly why I'll be getting one.

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2010, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
2 random comments about accessories: it’s nice that the keyboard has a pass-through 30-pin connector. It’s weird that the camera connection kit is 2 separate dongles (for USB and SD) instead of both functionalities smooshed into one.
Weird.

I first thought it had a built-in SD card reader.
What's this slot on thw upper right side ?

edit: Duh. The volume buttons.

-t

freudling
Banned
Jan 27, 2010, 07:37 PM

I was totally wrong. It's aluminum. And that saddens me. I was really hoping for polycarbonate. Think about the scratches this thing will pick up. They could have made it that much more sexy in sleek, shiny, white or black polycarbonate on the back instead of aluminum. And the edges would have been more round too. This thing still looks like the edges are a tad sharp.

Sigh.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2010, 07:38 PM

turtle,

Well duh. It's a big iPod Touch. Of course that's the volume button.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2010, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
I was totally wrong. It's aluminum. And that saddens me. I was really hoping for polycarbonate. Think about the scratches this thing will pick up. They could have made it that much more sexy in sleek, shiny, white or black polycarbonate on the back instead of aluminum. And the edges would have been more round too. This thing still looks like the edges are a tad sharp.

Sigh.
And I was totally right

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2010, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
turtle,

Well duh. It's a big iPod Touch. Of course that's the volume button.
I blame the rendering.

-t

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2010, 07:56 PM

Those who were annoyed with Apple over the level of hype shouldn't be faulting Apple primarily because it wasn't directly responsible for hyping this product launch. The primary sources of the hype came from the rumor mills that have been expecting an Apple tablet of some sort for years. When the speculation really started to heat up, people got hot and bothered; we received all sorts of neat mockups that looked really cool, and the rumor sites went overboard with all sorts of speculation on new touch sensitive technologies and patents. At the height of the frenzy some began predicting that this would be a revolutionary product, a new 1984 launch event for the 21st Century. Overblown expectations. None of that was directly Apple's doing, unless you want to assume they were feeding disinformation to rumor sites.

Granted, Jobs's supposed statement about this being the most important product he's ever created did nothing to help reduce lofty expectations. Apple doesn't comment on unannounced products, so we get speculative frenzies over the possible prospect of seeing Jobs debut the Next Big Thing. It was obvious based on Apple's product trajectory and tremendous emphasis on the iPhone OS and the App Store that the device we would be getting would most likely run the iPhone OS. Full-blown OS X on a tablet is not Apple's style - it wouldn't be touch optimized, and it would be bulky and slow given tablet-class hardware constraints. It was also too much to expect Apple to roll out a third OS X gadget variant - the company has enough on its plate dealing with OS X and the iPhone OS. So based on those considerations, my best bet was that it would be a larger iPod touch, and that's essentially what we got - with some notable surprises. It's going to be interesting to see whether the iPad becomes another iPod/iPhone hit or becomes a hobby product line like AppleTV. Competition from not only other Apple products but the PC world means the iPad has a lot to prove. I can hardly wait to see how the landscape looks a year from now.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2010, 07:58 PM

If you ask me, Apple overshot the hype machinery far too much on this one.
As far as I remember, Apple refused to comment on the very existence of this machine. The hype came from other places entirely.

I think what a lot of people are failing to realize is that this machine is a quiet revolutionary. Apple know from their experience with the iPhone and iPod Touch that an acceptable user experience is possible without the use of a hardware keyboard. They also know that a keyboard-less device is a great deal more elegant than the keyboard/mouse combination.

My guess is that in 10 years from now 95% of all computers will have no hardware keyboard or any kind, and that it all started today. That's what Jobs meant when he stated how important this project was to him. He's not talking about a gen1 device that has all sorts of bugs and shortcomings. He's looking at the entire game and how he is planning on changing it.

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2010, 08:15 PM

Let's be honest: the iPad can replace netbooks or cheap laptops for most people.

Think kids, teens, elderly, non-tech savvy users etc...

In addition, you get the Kindle clientele.

The market potential is HUGE !

I think Apple knows that they have a potential goldmine in this.
Let's not forget: the competitive price of $ 500 is likely going to come down.
In a year, the entry level model is going to be $ 400, then in another year $ 300.

This is almost getting close to OLPC - or shall we say OiPPC

-t

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2010, 08:35 PM

When you consider that it's $1000 less than the MacBook Air and beats it handily in portability, the iPad really looks like a steal.
Chuck
___

Forum Links
Forum Rules