Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Good Mediate/Advanced UNIX Book or web site

Good Mediate/Advanced UNIX Book or web site
mactropolis
Senior User
Mar 13, 2002, 01:17 AM

Hello,
I am interested in suggestions of what book(s) would be good for me in my continuing quest to learn *NIX. However, unline most people, i am not a complete nubie. I don't need 50 pages explain what a terminal shell is or how *NIX handles multiple user file permissions.

In other works, i'm looking for a book that explains stuff allot more indepth -- but at the same time in a non-geekly language. For example, i would to know more about exactly what all the diferent kinds of kill signals are and how their work (i've allready read the man kill pages). I'd like to know more about Regular Explression better -- without reading a whole book on it.

Anyone have any suggestions of a suitable book or web site that goes further into *NIX?

Thanks
Death To Extremists!

rkt
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2002, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by mactropolis:
<STRONG>Anyone have any suggestions of a suitable book or web site that goes further into *NIX?</STRONG>
both "unix power tools" & "unix in a nutshell" are excellent reference books for the intermediate level reader; most of the o'reilly books are pretty good (provided you don't need darwin specific information).

DominikHoffmann
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 15, 2002, 12:03 AM

Check out my contribution to a post of a week ago.

Dominik

Forum Links
Forum Rules