Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New battery without Battery exchange

New battery without Battery exchange
drumike102
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2007, 03:52 PM

So recently I have been having problems with my battery. I would be using my macbook pro and have plenty of battery and it would just shut off randomly and be dead till I plugged in the power supply. So I figured I'd try to give apple a call because I didn't feel like going to an apple store. Also I am out of my 90 day free phone support and dont have applecare so I shouldn't have been able but they still talked to me. So anyway after a few questions the lady was able to get a new battery shipped out to me just like the battery exchange. I was surprised. My battery did not qualify for the exchange so this was very nice. I know there are a lot of people having problems with their batteries so I figured I'd share my experience. So give apple a call even if you dont have applecare.

to apple customer support

chipchen
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2007, 04:57 PM

You're MacBook Pro battery doesn't qualify for any battery exchange because there is no battery excahnge for yours. The battery exchanges are for batteries that may have issues with heat and possibly explosion or fire hazzards.

Your problem with the battery is that it seems to randomly fail. And your battery is under warranty.

They make acceptions to the 90 day phone service for a few reasons:

1. sometimes the actual purchase date is not clear

2. customer service, listen to the customer, sometimes it's an easy solution like this one

3. fixing a problem fast is often cheaper for apple than dealing with an unhappy customer later

BUT... remember in most instances they will recommend you still take your computer to an Apple Store to someone can verify the problem visually.

You had a good experience... doesn't mean everyone should ignore their warranty agreements and call Apple demanding new batteries though. Remember, they weren't obligated... they just went above and beyond.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2007, 05:14 PM

Your battery is demonstrably defective. It should be replaced even if it didn't fall within the battery exchange program, because that program is mostly for potentially defective batteries.

drumike102  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2007, 10:26 PM

Hey I paid 2700 for a laptop the least they could do is make my life a little easier buy solving a simple problem over the phone rather than making me come to the store that is an hour away from me.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2007, 03:16 AM

they did.

Forum Links
Forum Rules