Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Apple tablet / netbook / large iPhone is coming for real

Apple tablet / netbook / large iPhone is coming for real (Page 6)
freudling
Banned
Jan 14, 2010, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
That's a crude distortion of what I said. And the use of a strawman underlines that. The iPhone offered radical amounts of extra value. The iPhone didn't compete with other Macs.

So if you're interested in discussing actual features and market response let me know. But I'm not interested in arguing for the sake of arguing.
I have done nothing of the sort. You are the one who discounts the features predicted in relation to a $1000 price point that you, and, a few others, have predicted.

The point about the iPhone is that, the multi-touch is what really sets it apart. It's what makes all the magic of the iPhone possible. It's what adds most of the extra value. Steve made it clear. Physical keyboards don't change from app-to-app. But a screen with a real operating system does. And the multi-touch operating system on the iPhone was plucked from the Tablet project. The value of that system has thus already been established: people are taking to it in large quantities. For starters, this has positive implications for the upcoming tablet.

As for the Tablet competing with other Macs, again, I don't think you are seeing it. You admitted that you sort of see this whole new computing paradigm thing. That is exactly what this is. And I have been clear: the tablet will not erase the laptop market. This is a totally new market. Just like my eReader won't take away my need for my Mac. And I know that the tablet will have many more features than a standard eReader.

But people will use the tablet for very specific purposes, like reading and being entertained. They will still use their laptops/desktops for inputting larger amounts of information/at work, etc. For starters, the screen on this is less than 11". That's not big enough for most professional environments/applications.

The tablet per sey, the form factor, the multi-touch interface, that's the value.

Couple multi-touch optimized newspaper and magazine subscriptions, and you can begin to see what value this really is.

It's happening Simon, whether you believe it or not. I am totally ok with putting all this in a public forum, and eating my words if what I am saying does not come to be. Let's check back in a year and see how the tablet is doing.

dedalus
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2010, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
Sorry, but I have to vote for something MUCH more earth shattering than this. I think it will have all the things you mention (virtual keyboard, etc) but probably much, much more as well. Do you all remember SJ demo of the multi-touch capabilities of the iphone upon first introduction ? We're all quite used to it now, it's second nature ... but it really was breathtaking when we all first saw it (and the moniker "Jesus phone" came about soon after).

Here's my 2 cents: What technologies has apple brought to the fore in some recent releases ? Facial recognition in iPhoto, voice recognition for commands in the iPhone.

How bout a tablet that recognizes you when it sees you or hears you. Switches to your appropriate user space (and blacks out for unrecognized faces unless you have an activated "guest" account for your table). How bout telling your tablet what to do in addition to an on screen keyboard. How about a tablet device that can turn in to a pure keyboard while it displays your content on any monitor of your choosing (or television, or projector). Basically, you'd be carrying around your "cpu" that you could mate with a monitor at work, a TV screen at home, etc. but could also use standalone and use it's own display. I picture a device more intensely personal than just a standard laptop with traditional user spaces.

Seriously, I don't know what this device will be but I'm expecting a type of interaction that blows us away even more than the iPhone did. Something other-worldly. I just can't see Apple entering the tablet space without bringing something completely outrageous to the table such that there is a clear reason for people to choose it over tablet offerings from the PC side. Apple has only a minor market share in computers but they seem to have a great ability to take specialty devices and make something so nutty and so far ahead that they rapidly dominate that space.
Hear, hear.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2010, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
I have done nothing of the sort. You are the one who discounts the features predicted in relation to a $1000 price point that you, and, a few others, have predicted.
Can you stop doing this? This bickering is really grating.

I took the features you listed and commented that I see nothing groundbreaking there to justify charging ~ the same as a full blown 13" MBP. And based on that I say that either the features or the price of the actual product will have to be different in order for the device to be the type of success the iPhone was. Nothing more, nothing less. Feel free to disagree, but target the logic, not the poster.

freudling
Banned
Jan 14, 2010, 05:25 PM

Can you stop doing this? This bickering is really grating.

I took the features you listed and commented that I see nothing groundbreaking there to justify charging ~ the same as a full blown 13" MBP. And based on that I say that either the features or the price of the actual product will have to be different in order for the device to be the type of success the iPhone was. Nothing more, nothing less. Feel free to disagree, but target the logic, not the poster.
Hi Simon:

I don't think this is bickering at all. I am trying to communicate with you on this. And I think that you just don't see what others are seeing.

The logic is this: the opportunities... the value of this device, over and above the iPhone and MBP, is both the form factor and the multi-touch OS. It will give people new opportunities to compute. This specifically refers to reading and being entertained. And this has the power to raise from the dead magazine and newspaper subscriptions. Apple can shake yet another industry. The fact that Apple has done this with music and movie rentals... it's logical to infer they can do the same with this. There are indicators...

For the rest of us, what's groundbreaking is custom, power efficient ARM chips designed right within Apple; a full-scale multi-touch OS; a tablet form factor...

Time will tell Simon, we'll come back and revisit.

dedadlus

Nice!!! The Knowledge Navigator. That hasn't even come up much at all, not here or in the media. To those not in the know, the Knowledge Navigator was a concept device by Apple. It's a tablet computer that folds like a book. John Sculley issued the order in 1986 to make the video of this concept device, which he partly had a hand in thinking up.

Audiences of the video, when it circulated in 1987, raved over the device. They all wondered where they could get one. When told it was just a concept, they were disappointed. This gave Apple the motivation to pursue a tablet like, handheld project as in Newton. But Newton ended up getting scaled down and became a PDA. Although the last generation Newtons are a bit of a crossover between a PDA and a Tablet.

The Knowledge Navigator is incredible, it's utility is clear. It has multi-touch; speech; VOIP; network connectivity with screensharing and the like; and, an intelligent agent ready to serve and mine for data.

An interesting note. The film is depicted to be in 2011. So Apple is about 1 year ahead of Sculley's/Apple's prediction of a full-scale tablet. How much of the Knowledge Navigator's features Apple's new Tablet has remains to be seen. But given all the information we have, it will come close. The only thing the Knowledge Navigator, I think, will best the new Tablet is with its artificial intelligence.

freudling
Banned
Jan 14, 2010, 11:30 PM

I read the other day that the 4G iPhone may have a magic mouse-like skin on the back. This would allow the user to input multi-touch without touching the screen. How brilliant. I did some testing with this on my iPhone: I pretended that the back was a magic mouse skin. This increases the efficiency of interacting with the device, and helps keep the fingers off the screen. It is also very, very comfortable, because your hands sort of stay in one position, and you don't have to keep switching hand positions from back to front to do touch inputs.

I am 99% certain that Apple has built a magic mouse skin on the back of the tablet. I did some testing with a tablet I have, pretending that the back was a magic mouse skin. It was so much more comfortable to input simple gestures in this way, like forward/backward surfing the web, up and down for scrolling, and the like.

The combination of a multi-touch back and front seems like a no brainer. This backing on the tablet will have solved much of the ergonomic/comfort issues with the tablet form factor. Here is some supporting evidence (information unverified):

"Today, by doing casual research on “back side touch” keywords, I found a very interesting 2007 patent filing by Apple:

force-sensitive back-side interface

The patent is credited to Apple engineer John Elias. This guy is the founder of Fingerworks.com, a company dedicated to develop devices than can be controlled by gestures. Apple hired him 5 years ago, and surprise! the website has been shut down this week…
Timing is perfect for a 27 January presentation, isn'it?
http://aeroquartet.com/blog/"
( Last edited by freudling; Jan 14, 2010 at 11:40 PM. )

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2010, 12:52 AM

Have you been reading this thread? I suggested that a page or 2 back. (though I hadn't dug up the 2007 patent yet, just vaguely remembered having seen it…)

freudling
Banned
Jan 15, 2010, 01:13 AM

slugslugslug:

I just thought of a new use for the tablet: a serving platter. Imagine if it had some sort of field that could allow drinks and food to hover over it's screen, and keep them in position. Then, we could use our tablets to serve people food and drinks at home. Ya! Sadly, there is no patent for this that I can find.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2010, 02:40 AM

Now even Apple confirmed they are indeed working on the tablet.

Apple Lawyers Strike Back at Valleywag Over Tablet Bounty - Mac Rumors

Those Valleywag guys are smart. They never intended on paying a single Dollar. They knew they'd force Apple legal to do something. Meanwhile they were getting a lot of free publicity. They're quite funny too, declaring Apple's counsel the first "winner" of their contest.
( Last edited by Simon; Jan 18, 2010 at 11:56 AM. Reason: typo)

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jan 15, 2010, 04:32 AM

Nah, they are just doing that to deflect our attention away from what they are really working on...the first mass produced flying car with the updated Time Machine software that will actually do back in time if you are late to your destination. You heard it here first...

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2010, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
I just thought of a new use for the tablet: a serving platter. Imagine if it had some sort of field that could allow drinks and food to hover over it's screen, and keep them in position. Then, we could use our tablets to serve people food and drinks at home. Ya! Sadly, there is no patent for this that I can find.
Dude, you better patent it now, before one of these forum vultures do! Then you can license it to Apple and live out your days in the lap of luxury.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2010, 12:58 PM

freudling, how about LCD coasters that measure the temperature and volume of your drink, can tell what kind of drink it is, recommend complementary eats, and can tell you how many drinks you've had.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2010, 04:40 PM

@Freudling:
I think your feature list is right in ballpark. Note that the Bluetooth means that it *does* have a kb - any time it's in range of Apple wireless kb/mouse.
One thing missing (about which we will *all* be clueless for another 11 days: (God-willing) the next quantum leap in software/user-interface -- something like the dual-touch / leap-frog beyond existing book-readers, etc.
Trying not to get my hopes up, but I have: Apple hardware advances have really only taken the world by storm when they've been married to software finesse.

:: Now back to work & forgetting about iTablets for next 11 days ::
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2010, 04:58 PM

This device has been hyped up so much that disappointment is assured.

freudling
Banned
Jan 15, 2010, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Love Calm Quiet View Post
@Freudling:
I think your feature list is right in ballpark. Note that the Bluetooth means that it *does* have a kb - any time it's in range of Apple wireless kb/mouse.
One thing missing (about which we will *all* be clueless for another 11 days: (God-willing) the next quantum leap in software/user-interface -- something like the dual-touch / leap-frog beyond existing book-readers, etc.
Trying not to get my hopes up, but I have: Apple hardware advances have really only taken the world by storm when they've been married to software finesse.

:: Now back to work & forgetting about iTablets for next 11 days ::
Thanks for chiming in, Love Calm Quiet. Ya, I did leave out the dual touch, but recent literature makes me think that that will be an essential feature on this device. As you can see from above posts, I went ahead and did my own testing, emulating a dual-touch interface (both on the back and front of the device). After that testing, to me, the dual-touch interface is a 'must' for their tablet. So, let's add a magic mouse-like skin to the back of the device. I am 99% certain now that it will be on the back of the tablet. Maybe the magic mouse itself is just an offshoot of that surface that's on the back. It would play into my unibody, white, polycarbonate casing prediction.

And to those who have raised the question of whether the surface of the magic mouse will stand up to the rigours of daily use. It's all in the design. The way I think Apple will protect the magic mouse skin on the back is through rubber.

Here is what I think the design will be. We will get a design very similar to the back of the iPhone: it rounds from the corners, up. That is, it gets thicker from the edges toward the centre-back. Apple could infuse a frame of magic mouse skin where the fingers will be on the back of the device (all four sides will be framed with a magic mouse-skin). Just after this frame, will be the thickest point of the back. In this way, the magic mouse skin never rests on the surface when placed down on flat surfaces, because it is just slightly lower than the rest of the back. At the centre of the back, there will be rubber. This will mitigate sliding off of flat surfaces.

But in no way do I think this will be a giant iPod Touch. It's going to look different.
( Last edited by freudling; Jan 15, 2010 at 06:11 PM. )

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2010, 09:19 PM

I played with the equivalent of dual-touch on a prototype tablet (not from Apple) a few years ago. This was produced by a company at a technology conference that wanted to sell the technology to computer manufacturers. The device it was being demoed was quite clunky, but the experience was still very nice. I'm certain that the experience delivered from Apple would be quite amazing.

freudling
Banned
Jan 16, 2010, 03:52 PM

Wiskedjak:

That's really great. It's good to hear that you liked that experience. And it's cool that you got to try it out.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2010, 03:54 PM

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 18, 2010, 03:28 AM

Meh.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 18, 2010, 11:13 AM

Apple Lawyers Strike Back at Valleywag Over Tablet Bounty - Mac Rumors

Those Valleywag guys are smart. They never intended on paying a single Dollar. They new they'd force Apple legal to do something. Meanwhile they were getting a lot of free publicity. They're quite funny too, declaring Apple's counsel the first "winner" of their contest.
It's kinda clever, but, I mean, we're a week or two out from the announcement. Did anyone really doubt it's existence? I'd have been way more impressed had they tried (and succeeded) at this way back in September or thereabouts.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2010, 01:25 PM

It's on: Apple holding January 27th event to show off its 'latest creation' -- Engadget

Cue speculation on what the text and paint spatters represent.

FWIW, the “latest creation” part definitely means to me that it is in fact, a new hardware line, not a Mac, iPod, or iPhone.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 18, 2010, 01:35 PM

Apple is unveiling a new member of the iLife family called Splattered Paint to compete with Microsoft Paint.
Okay, I'll man up and admit that I open Windows 7 in VMware just to play with Paint.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2010, 02:14 PM

Watch them release something other then the tablet. Something like a new painting application to go with the iWork suite. That would be hilarious.

I think the tech communities collective head would explode.

(EDIT: or I could read the post above mine... but that would be hard)

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 18, 2010, 02:17 PM

I think the internet would crash if they unveiled something other than a tablet.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2010, 02:21 PM

How many years have their been rumors of this stupid tablet anyway? 5 or 6?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2010, 02:22 PM

Paint splatter? 'Creation'? I'm now more hopeful of somekind of Cintiq-ness to it.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 18, 2010, 02:22 PM

I'm not die hard, so I didn't notice them til the past year or so, in the wake of the netbook rumors.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2010, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Watch them release something other then the tablet. Something like a new painting application to go with the iWork suite. That would be hilarious.
I'm hoping for this...

... I'm looking to buy some Apple stock cheap.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2010, 02:31 PM

"Yerba Buena Center for the Arts Theater in San Francisco." Interesting location.

No one was expecting artwork as an element of the tablet. Apple surprises us all again!

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2010, 02:32 PM

I think regardless of whatever Apple releases -- no matter how amazing it is -- if it isn't a tablet riots will ensue. Like when they have a great keynote at WWDC or MacWorld but it isn't everything that the rumors have made up and people freak out.

I also think that that "latest creation" means a brand new product. Always exciting.

hayesk
Jan 18, 2010, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
"Yerba Buena Center for the Arts Theater in San Francisco." Interesting location.

No one was expecting artwork as an element of the tablet. Apple surprises us all again!
They've had press events here before. Not really indicative of anything.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 18, 2010, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Watch them release something other then the tablet.
I think the tech communities collective head would explode.
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar
I think the internet would crash if they unveiled something other than a tablet.
Originally Posted by mdc View Post
I think regardless of whatever Apple releases -- no matter how amazing it is -- if it isn't a tablet riots will ensue.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 18, 2010, 02:57 PM

It's a bit like High Energy Physics. If LHC doesn't find Higgs physics will become much more interesting. Likewise if Apple doesn't release the tablet everyone is expecting, we might be in for far more excitement (and some acts of ritual suicide of course).

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2010, 02:59 PM

I think regardless of whatever Apple releases -- no matter how amazing it is -- if it isn't a tablet riots will ensue.
More than riots, the share price would take such a dive that apples directors would be leaving themselves open to substatial action form major shareholders for malpractice. If Apple were not going to unveil a tablet they would have had to have leaked enough rumours into the wild to counteract any charges against them.

While Apples lack of communication is usual for them, in this case the potential disaster awaiting the non arrival of a tablet would have to force their hand, even if only a little.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 18, 2010, 03:03 PM

It's a bit like High Energy Physics. If LHC doesn't find Higgs physics will become much more interesting. Likewise if Apple doesn't release the tablet everyone is expecting, we might be in for far more excitement (and some acts of ritual suicide of course).
It'll be the TV with built-in internet that was hinted at a few years ago.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2010, 03:17 PM

I'm still confused by the central problem of network connectivity. A tablet that can't connect to the internet for email, web etc is to crippled to work and while wireless connection is a no brainer it still needs to connect when out and about. This would seem to mean 3G. But I already pay per month on my iPhone. Another monthly payment for my tablet is pushing it.

I can see the cell carriers offering subsidised tablets in the way that they now offer "free" laptops but it's still two data plans. I'd love it if they allowed you to run it off your iPhone data plan, but judging how the cellco's treat iPhone tethering they are going to be looking to gouge hard on any tablet data plans.

How Apple resolved this is going to be key to the success of the tablet.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2010, 03:44 PM

I missed that one. haha. It's so perfect!

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
I'm still confused by the central problem of network connectivity. A tablet that can't connect to the internet for email, web etc is to crippled to work and while wireless connection is a no brainer it still needs to connect when out and about. This would seem to mean 3G. But I already pay per month on my iPhone. Another monthly payment for my tablet is pushing it.

I can see the cell carriers offering subsidised tablets in the way that they now offer "free" laptops but it's still two data plans. I'd love it if they allowed you to run it off your iPhone data plan, but judging how the cellco's treat iPhone tethering they are going to be looking to gouge hard on any tablet data plans.

How Apple resolved this is going to be key to the success of the tablet.
I agree.
I do not have one but I have used an iPod touch and when you're around wifi it's great since it's an iPhone sans the phone, but when you're away from wifi I find it a little like a computer without internet. It's great, but you get bored of it quickly, and all you want to do is browse the web.

If the tablet has some sort of network connectivity price will sway me.
It'll depend on how I am sold on the tablet and if I feel that I'll use it enough to pay another $x a month for constant connectivity. For all I know I might only use it on the subway, flights, and at home. Times when either there is no way for the connectivity to work or where I'll have wifi.

We'll see next week.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 18, 2010, 03:47 PM

I missed that one. haha. It's so perfect!

I agree.
I do not have one but I have used an iPod touch and when you're around wifi it's great since it's an iPhone sans the phone, but when you're away from wifi I find it a little like a computer without internet. It's great, but you get bored of it quickly, and all you want to do is browse the web.
I've found the Touch is great for traveling. Since cell phone transmission aren't allowed on airplanes anyway, it's perfect for games and watching TV/movies. If I want internet in airports it's usually pay-per-use so I'm tethering my Blackberry to my laptop anyway.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 18, 2010, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
More than riots, the share price would take such a dive that apples directors would be leaving themselves open to substatial action form major shareholders for malpractice. If Apple were not going to unveil a tablet they would have had to have leaked enough rumours into the wild to counteract any charges against them.

While Apples lack of communication is usual for them, in this case the potential disaster awaiting the non arrival of a tablet would have to force their hand, even if only a little.
Apple stocks will go down anyway. They always do after Apple unveils anything that isn't a golden unicorn that poops rainbows with pots of cash at the end.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2010, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I've found the Touch is great for traveling. Since cell phone transmission aren't allowed on airplanes anyway, it's perfect for games and watching TV/movies. If I want internet in airports it's usually pay-per-use so I'm tethering my Blackberry to my laptop anyway.
You have a good point.
I flew from JFK to Johannesburg and then to Cape Town (and back) over the past two weeks and on all of the flights they told me to actually turn off my iPhone. Airplane mode wasn't good enough. They said that iPod touches were okay, but iPhones could not be on.
This is the first time I've been asked to turn off my iPhone so I assume this has to do with the December 25th attack.
If this is how it's going to be on flights from now on maybe it'll be good if there isn't any sort of 3G network connectivity on the tablet

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2010, 04:05 PM

I flew from JFK to Johannesburg and then to Cape Town (and back) over the past two weeks and on all of the flights they told me to actually turn off my iPhone. Airplane mode wasn't good enough. They said that iPod touches were okay, but iPhones could not be on.
That's probably because they're idiots. Or rather, some of your fellow plane passengers are idiots.

Airplane mode is perfectly fine, but many passengers won't properly activate it, either because they're stupid or because they're asses, and so the airline simply says iPhones need to be completely turned off. I had the same problem once with my Sony Ericsson phone, which also had airplane mode.

Mind you, at first glance an iPhone looks just like an iPod touch, so I betcha many stewardesses wouldn't know any better, esp. if you put it in your pocket anyway.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2010, 05:22 PM

The only thing that could "wow" me about the tablet is price.

$500 or less and I might be interested. Anything more and fergit it.

(It's gonna be a fergit it)

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 18, 2010, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
That's probably because they're idiots. Or rather, some of your fellow plane passengers are idiots.

Airplane mode is perfectly fine, but many passengers won't properly activate it, either because they're stupid or because they're asses, and so the airline simply says iPhones need to be completely turned off. I had the same problem once with my Sony Ericsson phone, which also had airplane mode.

Mind you, at first glance an iPhone looks just like an iPod touch, so I betcha many stewardesses wouldn't know any better, esp. if you put it in your pocket anyway.
Except if you fly RyanAir, where they also demand that you turn off your iPod. (Or at least they have, both times I’ve flown with them, even though both times it was an iPod Shuffle which doesn’t have any kind of non-wired connectivity capabilities)

freudling
Banned
Jan 18, 2010, 07:20 PM

So this is for real. It's 99.95% confirmed. Apple is releasing a Tablet Computer. This is a day that has been in the works for many years. And if you are like me, I've been wanting this day to come for quite some time. Yes, I have a life, but this tablet should make my life easier.

I can't wait to see multi-touch iLife 10, if that is what they are going to do with it. I think the paint splatters in Apple's event advertisement represent a few things. First, creativity. This is something to create things on. An artist's sketch pad, a painter's canvas. It also represents Apple sort of painting the town red. Rebels. This device is a total departure from the status quo. Be daring. That they weren't afraid to colour outside the lines.

I predict a Steve Jobs who is very confident. They've been working on this for so, so long. Way longer than the iPhone. This thing is going to blow us away and I have never said that before about any of Apple's to-be-released products. I have studied tablet computers in depth and followed closely for many years both Apple's and other companies' developments. The patent applications alone from Apple on this device are groundbreaking. It's going to house a boatload of innovation, like the iPhone, but even more.

And Apple has really been riding the hype on this. They really want the hype. It's because they are confident, they know they have something great. I don't know of any other device that has been more hyped than this tablet. People are going to start blowing veins if Apple doesn't show us soon.

Imagine if they cancelled the event, and postponed it 7 months? Ha!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2010, 07:24 PM

It's weird, because I always thought Apple's tablet computer was called the "iPhone."
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2010, 07:38 PM

Oh come on, Chuckit, let the man have his dramatic moment…

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2010, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
It's weird, because I always thought Apple's tablet computer was called the "iPhone."
Wow, nice baiting, Chuck.

-t

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2010, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Wow, nice baiting, Chuck.

-t
He's a master at it.

But seriously folks, I think Apple's "tablet" will also replace netbooks, eReaders, PDAs, iPods, iPhones, iTouches, Nintendos, PSPs, and toilet paper (OK, maybe not the last one), but it will be magical.

And pricey. $699 or higher. (my uneducated guess).

It has to be expensive. It's Apple!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 18, 2010, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
He's a master at it.

But seriously folks, I think Apple's "tablet" will also replace netbooks, eReaders, PDAs, iPods, iPhones, iTouches, Nintendos, PSPs, and toilet paper (OK, maybe not the last one), but it will be magical.

And pricey. $699 or higher. (my uneducated guess).

It has to be expensive. It's Apple!
It will no doubt be amazing, but it can't possibly replace netbooks. One of the defining features of netbooks is low cost.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 18, 2010, 11:31 PM

I don't think it'll be able to be classified as a netbook or, conversely, an ebook reader.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2010, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
It will no doubt be amazing, but it can't possibly replace netbooks. One of the defining features of netbooks is low cost.
Yes, up till 1-27-10.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

Forum Links
Forum Rules