Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Quicktime crashes Explorer

Quicktime crashes Explorer
bezoar
Apr 17, 2004, 02:29 PM

I'm not sure what started this, Quicktime 6 has always worked really well as far as streaming audio and video inside the browser window of Explorer 5.1. Recently (possibly after updating to Explorer 5.1.7 but I'm sure it worked for a little bit) anytime I click a quicktime file on a webpage it loads partly, then the menacing bomb error appears forcing me to restart. I've tried throwing out and reinstalling both Explorer and Quicktime 6, I even re-installed QT 4.1, but no dice. I really can't figure out which program is screwing up (my guess - Explorer).

Also, I'd like to downgrade back to Explorer 5.0 or 5.1 to see if that helps, but I can't find either anywhere. Is there any site that hosts older versions of software out there? (Apple and M$ sure as hell don't) and if there aren't, someone should start one and get rich from it. VersionTracker leads you to believe that it has multiple older versions to choose from, then it automatically sends you to the newest version. What is it about Apple and M$ not wanting these old versions accessible?

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2004, 06:35 PM

Have you tried trashing the preference files for both applications?
If the file is not a "true stream" (just the movie playing while it's downloading), you could option click the link to save the movie to disk.

bezoar  (op)
Apr 18, 2004, 06:24 PM

I trashed preferences, restarted and this time around a quicktime file froze explorer without the bomb error. when i tried to force-quit explorer it said "sorry there has been a system error." hit the restart button, etc..

the click-download to save file does work. it just bugs me that what i used to be able to do in the browser now totally kills my laptop. and this is after recently wiping my hard drive. could it be an explorer extensions issue?

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2004, 12:51 PM

Not to doubt your "file trashing" skills for a second time, but did you catch the QuickTime plugin in IE's Plug-ins folder?

bezoar  (op)
Apr 20, 2004, 10:03 PM

yes. in fact whenever I trash a program and its components, I always do a search with Sherlock to make sure I catch files like that. I thought that would've been enough to fix something like this too, that's why I'm so confused that it persists.

Thorzdad
Apr 21, 2004, 01:45 PM

Any chance your memory allocation to IE got re-set to a ridiculously low number when you upgraded? That could certainly cause problems.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2004, 06:28 PM

Maybe you'll have to use Netscape or maybe iCab for QuickTime on the web.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 1, 2004, 09:23 AM

Old Browser Archive

That should help you out.

bezoar  (op)
May 20, 2004, 12:14 AM

sorry, it's been awhile since i've checked back here. basically just been living with the problem thus far.

memory allocation is normal for Explorer. i downloaded iCab and it crashed as well when i tried to stream Quicktime in the browser. so, i guess that rules out Explorer and points to QT as the culprit. but really, i've trashed every single damn QT file and reinstalled 2 or 3 times now with no luck so i'm at a loss.

bradoesch: that link is great, thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules