Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod Case - We have a winner.

iPod Case - We have a winner.
ymir23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2001, 07:00 PM

gto47
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2001, 07:39 PM

Eh, i liked the SFbags one better. sfbags
Has a place to put the headphones...
Mac Pro 8x2.8 | Macbook 2.13 | Saab Trionic 7 (thats right, runs on a 68k!)

as2
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2001, 07:44 PM

I agree, the Waterfield cases are much nicer than any others that I have seen.

I prefer the simple case to the Sooper Dooper case though.

Adam
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2001, 08:12 PM

Yeah, I think the OWC is more elegant-looking than the others (the Waterfield with its fabric design reminds me of a tampon purse or something), and the instantly detachable clip looks like a handy feature.

However, the perfect case has yet to be designed. It should have the lines and the clip of the OWC, with perhaps an extra pocket for the earphones, and an opaque flip-over cover for the front (like on PDAs) so you don't have to advertise to everyone that you're carrying a $400 iPod. The clear vinyl windows will probably get clouded over anyway.

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: zigzag ]

zekemon6
Dec 10, 2001, 08:58 PM

I prefer the Waterfield case also. The only problem is that it is really expensive...

Max8319
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2001, 11:38 PM

i prefer the OWC one. nice, simple, and small (fits the ipod snugly)

with the waterfield one, don't you have to open a flap to get at any of the controls??? (that's what it looks like, but i can't get a good look at it on their website)

<Sir Bongsalot>
Dec 11, 2001, 12:29 AM

I really like the look of the waterfields. I have a G4 sleeve that is quite good. While these are expensive, I still would have ordered one, but I won't order any cases with that poor "cell-phone-type belt attachment" mechanism. I can't tell you how many times my cell phone popped off of one of these fasteners and bounced off the floor. The cell phone still works, but I don't think the iPod would suffer this treatment gladly.

If Waterfield changed the belt attachment to a velcro loop like a Lowe-Pro digital camera case, for example, I'd order one today.

The quest for a proper case continues...

Originally posted by Max8319:
<STRONG>i prefer the OWC one. nice, simple, and small (fits the ipod snugly)

with the waterfield one, don't you have to open a flap to get at any of the controls??? (that's what it looks like, but i can't get a good look at it on their website)</STRONG>

Paco500
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2001, 02:59 PM

A good bit of the joy that is the iPod is based on it's looks, and, as of yet, I have not seen a case that compliments it's beautiful design. A black leather case is fine for a phone, but it just doesn't look right w/ the iPod. Maybe they should consider making it in white leather, or silver.

The iPod is anything but boring. All the cases I have seen thus far are just not interesting enough.

Paco

VolleyGirl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2001, 05:21 PM

Check out Marware's new iPod cases (actually only one design is currently featured) at www.mareware.com
I like it

as2
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2001, 08:07 PM

I think that the correct URL should be http://marware.com

Adam

<Clarkey>
Dec 11, 2001, 10:22 PM

Paco500
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2001, 03:24 PM

The marware is the most attracive I've seen- now if they can take the looks and put it into a case w/ a window and a way to push bottons.

Paco

winky
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2001, 10:20 PM

I received the JR Hill case today and it's going back tomorrow. It is ugly and fits terribly. The velcro on the flap does not meet the attachment velcro on the case. The clear window does not have a bottom "attachment" border to keep it's shape. Overall it is poor implementation of a poor design.

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2001, 10:15 AM

I want the design of the OWC but with the Waterfield fabrics. I don't like how the Super Dooper has a flap that covers it and you have to pull it open. I just want the clear vinyl and open circle for the jog wheel.. That's it.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

<ndashade>
Dec 13, 2001, 02:58 PM

Here is a great neoprene case that looks just like the marware case. Leather is cool, but neoprene will breathe, allowing the unit to disperse heat while charging the battery. Plus it is almost half the price!
http://www.store.ewave.net

<ndashade>
Dec 13, 2001, 03:16 PM

Here is a picture of this case

It can be purchased at:
it is at http://www.store.ewave.net

FXWizard
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2001, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by &lt;ndashade&gt;:
<STRONG>Here is a picture of this case

It can be purchased at:
it is at http://www.store.ewave.net</STRONG>
It looks nice -- too bad they don't ship to Canada...

as2
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2001, 09:27 PM

I think it looks awful!! The plastic over the screen looks cheap and tacky! I still think I'm going to get the Watefield simple case. I don't mind not having a flap for access to the controls. It's going to be playing by playlist constantly so doesn't really matter.

Adam

Max8319
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2001, 09:56 PM

it looks like shit (IMHO)........if you like it, take a look at the Other World Computing one......it is much much more refined and looks just about the same

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2001, 10:20 PM

i like the way the cases cover up my ipod. However i hate the way the cases cover up my ipod.

i'm gonna go nekkid ipod till the day i die

ndashade
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2001, 10:24 PM

Actually the case is much better than the picture posted. The plastic window works great and does not look cheap in my opinion. Look closely at the display window on your iPod. If you have not had something over it since day one, I'll bet you anything you have a bunch of very fine scratches on it. Take a close look!!
I have one of these and it is just like the OWC case, but it is neoprene, which is better should it ever get wet. Leather is not the best thing to sweat in or take out in the rain.

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: ndashade ]
Were there is light, there is shade!

emil
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2001, 11:06 PM

what are you guys talking about? scratches are IN these days!!

Max8319
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2001, 12:06 AM

do either of those cases (the one posted and the other world computing) have access to the hold button? i use it alot and it can't be covered up......anyone have any idea? thanks

mmarcos
Dec 16, 2001, 08:00 PM

The hold button thing made me think about the remote control thingies that come with some minidiscs, port cd players and walkmans.

That kicked off my memory of my first (the first model) Sony Walkman in the early 80s. It had an orange button on the top which would lower the music to a fixed low level while you pressed it so you could listen to something external without removing the phones. That was a neat button and I haven't seen something like that around since then, although I don't doubt there have been other devices with something like it.
Are you spontaneously enthusiastic about everyone having everything you can have? - Buckminster Fuller

Leaping Gnome
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2001, 12:38 AM

I think those Marware ones are the best yet. Very slick looking.

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2001, 10:52 AM

&lt;&lt;(the first model) Sony Walkman in the early 80s. It had an orange button on the top which would lower the music to a fixed low level while you pressed it&gt;&gt;

Ya' I had one of those too. It also had a "bass-treble" switch. It was "revolutionary" for its time.

I ordered a sooper from Waterfield. No place to carry it once I take off my jacket now. Mostly just using it in the car till I get a case.

Z

mmarcos
Dec 17, 2001, 10:16 PM

I ordered the sooper as well. Waterfield stuff is great. That said, I do agree that all current cases hide the beauty of the iPod but that beautiful design is a case designer's nightmare! I can't think of many variations that are fucntional.
Are you spontaneously enthusiastic about everyone having everything you can have? - Buckminster Fuller

jwtseng
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2001, 03:59 AM

Having owned the G4 Sleevecase as well as a Large Cargo Bag from Waterfield, I had no problems ordering the Super Dooper iPod case from them as soon as it was available. I am now sitting here holding my iPod in a new blue Super Dooper iPod case! This thing is great! It looks great, feels great and works great!

Waterfield has done it again. Definitely the best case for the iPod currently. Quality construction! The belt clip is VERY secure. Kudos to Waterfield!

Forum Links
Forum Rules