Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ibooks, xmas, and mw in january

ibooks, xmas, and mw in january
hype
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2001, 07:19 PM

yes, my instant gratification-impulses have almost gotten to me...I'm hoping to get an ibook for xmas, but with macworld right around the corner, I'm wondering if I should wait the extra few weeks to make sure I don't get hosed. What're people's thoughts? Will there be an upgrade to Apple's laptops in january? I know they just upgraded the ibook in october or so, but I also know that they're offering a 100$ rebate, which leads me to suspect some sort of upgrade soon. Yes, it's all speculation, but I'm curious what everyone else thinks. thanks-
-miles

c0rvette
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2001, 07:29 PM

I highly doubt there will be any updates. It just got updated for god sakes on oct 16th. Apple isn't going to update their ibooks in 3.5 months. The $100 is probably a holiday boost for sales, just like many companies all over the world do.
spam, this means nothing

stefls
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2001, 07:34 PM

There will be definately no revised iBook. This would be very strange, because -like you said yourself- the books have recently been updated. Besides, Why would they detract too much attention from a possible new iMac or possible new PowerMac? Apple will try to release product-updates regularly, but not too often: customers need to -to a certain extend- know what they could expect. Only when severe problems arise, you might expect quick action, but I think the current iBook goes strong.

Greeetzzz,
Stefan

VolleyGirl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2001, 08:19 PM

It's only a few weeks. Why not wait?

stefls
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2001, 08:25 PM

You've got a point there VolleyGirl

babble
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2001, 10:04 PM

I don't agree with waiting...

I'm pretty sure their won't be any upgrade in January.
Get the 100$ cash back if you buy it now.

I just bought mine 5 days ago!

We'll only see the new iMac at this show.
QS just got a makeover.
iBook just got a speed boost.
PowerBook just got a speed boost.

The only thing I could see for the iBook, is new colors(???) introduced. But, I love the white and silver theme!

kjb
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2001, 10:56 PM

you "could" buy an iBook on the 31st of the month in order to qualify for the rebate, but then not open it until after MW. That way, if the iBook is updated you just go and return the "old" iBook without the restocking fee that so many places :cough: ChumpUSA :cough: charge for "open box" returns. If you're even considering waiting, you can buy it and just let the unopened box sit there on the desk, can't you

Kevin

Forum Links
Forum Rules