Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Follow-up: Sorkin apologizes for remarks against Cook

Follow-up: Sorkin apologizes for remarks against Cook
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 26, 2015, 09:14 PM

On Friday, MacNN reported on remarks from Steve Jobs screenplay author Aaron Sorkin, who took umbrage to a comment Apple CEO Tim Cook made on last week's appearance on Stephen Colbert's Late Night show addressing in a general manner the various movies that have tried to address or capture the life and personality of the late Apple co-founder, Steve Jobs. Cook said he found such movies "opportunistic" and "not a great part of our world," though he had not yet seen the new film from Sorkin and director Danny Boyle. Sorkin, having accused Cook of hypocrisy in the "opportunistic" remark, has since apologized.

"You know what, i think that Tim Cook and I probably both went a little too far, and I apologize to Tim Cook," Sorkin told E! News. "I hope when he sees the movie, he enjoys it as much as I enjoy his products." Sorkin had, in his initial response to Cook's remarks, said that Cook should actually see the film -- which opens October 9, and stars Michael Fassbender in the title role -- before judging it. He also retorted that the CEO of a company that uses manufacturing partners that have been known to underpay workers or use underage labor "has a lot of nerve calling someone else 'opportunistic.'"

There have been several other movies about Jobs, some of which came out very shortly after his death. The Universal Pictures movie, written by Sorkin and directed by Danny Boyle -- both Oscar winners -- has thus far garnered strong reviews from critics who attended film festival screenings. Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak worked as a consultant on the film and has said he is happy with the result. Woz is played by Seth Rogan in the film.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Sep 26, 2015 at 10:33 PM. )

Stuke
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2015, 09:33 PM

Whoa, what a sudden change of attitude.
--
Stuke

jpellino
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2015, 09:40 PM

Not being invited to the White House can have that effect.
Just sayin'

ElectroTech
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2015, 11:14 PM

Too late! I am not going to see the movie unless it comes out on Netflix for free. Even then, I might not watch that hit piece on Steve Jobs.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2015, 04:27 AM

ElectroTech: I fear you may be a bit confused. The Universal film that Sorkin wrote is not a "hit piece"; that term has been used to describe Alex Gibney's documentary, "Man in the Machine."
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

FrankMtl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2015, 11:29 AM

More like back pedalling than an apology.
"I think Tim Cook and I went a little too far" doesn't sound like he's apologizing but merely sugar coating to ensure he doesn't appear like an asshat to future clients.

garmonbosia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2015, 01:14 PM

Possibly his attorney informed him he was exposed to a libel suit for his comments about the child labor and $.17 an hour?

Grendelmon
Senior User
Sep 28, 2015, 09:52 AM

Ughh, who cares?

iBricking.com
Banned
Sep 28, 2015, 10:47 AM

Thank you, Grendelmon.

Flying Meat
Senior User
Sep 28, 2015, 01:14 PM

Not really excusing himself, as he still seems to believe Tim Cook made him overreact. "I think Tim Cook and I went a little too far" is just CYA speak for "He made me do it."
Ridiculous.

Forum Links
Forum Rules