Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Cook: Apple stands for building the best products on Earth

Cook: Apple stands for building the best products on Earth
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
May 4, 2016, 10:00 AM

In the second part of a two-part interview with CNBC's 'Mad Money' host Jim Cramer, Apple CEO Tim Cook said that Apple continues to stand for what it always has stood for, "building the best products on Earth that enrich people's lives." Much like the first part of the interview, Cook spends a lot of time putting a positive spin on the company following the lackluster sales of its iPhones during the March quarter. In doing so, Cook cited the late Steve Jobs a couple of times, as he puts forward the view that Apple has certain goals that have never changed, despite the change of leadership.

"Apple has always stood for building the best products on Earth that enrich people's lives. Whether it was Steve's Apple or -- I don't view it as my Apple today, I'm the CEO of it -- that is what we're about," Cook told Cramer. "And so we want to change the world through our products. We produce products that give people the ability to do things they couldn't do before." As examples of this, Cook cited Apple's recent tale about an autistic child that uses his iPad to interact with the world in a way that he couldn't before, as well as the less tech savvy among us like grandparents talking to their grandchildren over FaceTime. Cook also discussed Apple's ongoing efforts in other areas that also speak to what it stands for as a company. For example, according to Cook, Apple conducts its business in ethically in a way that he called "right and just." He also referenced Apple's efforts to make its products environmentally friendly and recyclable, its solar power plants, its championing of human rights, employee shareholder plans and efforts on customer privacy. "All of these things help us stand for something," he added, "And I think that's what people want." In mentioning privacy, Cramer then asked Cook about the San Bernardino shooter's iPhone 5c that the FBI had asked Apple to crack on its behalf, a request that Apple opposed in court. Cook argued that Apple has long had a stance of maintaining user privacy and that the government should also be working to enhance cybersecurity, not potentially undermine it. He was also quite critical of government in more general terms. "Government in general has gotten quite dysfunctional in the U.S. and in some other countries as well," Cook told Cramer. "What that does, I believe, is put more responsibility on the everyday citizen and companies to help promote change and improve things. And I don't mean to play a government role, but it's not just government who can change things. All of us are responsible for changing things." To this end, Cook said that he hoped that the encryption debate could be resolved more amicably where all interested parties could come together to put forward their respective arguments democratically. Cook was also asked about who he admires and once again spoke of Steve Jobs, while also linking his response with his earlier comments about Apple and human rights by citing Robert Kennedy and Martin Luther King. "I had incredible love and respect for Steve and I think there has never been anyone like him and believe his contributions and gifts to the world were unbelievable. I also deeply admire people who fought for human rights and were pushing humanity forward. People who I think of when I say that are Bobby Kennedy and Dr. King. These people ultimately risked everything, including their lives, to push people forward so that everyone could be included. They were all about inclusiveness. I'm a great believer in inclusiveness."

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2016, 11:47 AM

Forget best, when it comes to desktops, I'd be delighted if Apple would at least aim higher than they are now. Their product line does not impress. The iMac is like a car whose parts are welded together, making it impossible to replace something as simple as a water pump. A friend who has owned Macs since the late-1980s has a top-of-the-line iMac whose hard drive recently went out. Replacing it was such a hassle, he now calls his pricey iMac "junk." Tell him it's part of Apple's committment to build "the best products on earth," and he'd probably lift it up and hurl it at you.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

kserman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2016, 01:39 PM

Apple Display last released 2011
MacPro last released 2013
MacMini 2 cores with soldered ram
iMac 21" - 5400rpm hard disk with soldered ram

Are these suppose to be the best products in the world ?

Tim stop talking to the press, go back to work and release the best products in the world you are talking about immediately. Or even better find a competent CEO and fire yourself

just a poster
Forum Regular
May 4, 2016, 03:40 PM

It's 1996-7 all over again.

Grendelmon
Senior User
May 4, 2016, 05:14 PM

Cook: Apple stands for building the best mobile phones on Earth

There. Fixed.

drbroom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2016, 06:15 PM