Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Quicktime Problem

Quicktime Problem
phobos
Grizzled Veteran
May 26, 2001, 04:19 AM

Hello everybody.I use Quict time Pro 4.1.2 and I have an annoying problem when I play movies in the full screen mode.I have a 146MB movie that plays at full screen with no problems.I have also a 45 and 30MB file that when I put them at full screen the frames jump like crazy!!! I upped the memory of quicktime to 100MB but still have problems.
The 146 MB is at 720x576 resolution the other files at 480x360!!!!
What the f$#@ is going on???
HELP GUYS!!!!THANKS

Jacque Lee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2001, 12:08 PM

what are the machine specs? OS?

why dont u upgrade to QT5?

is it just those 2 movies having problems?

(greece/athens kai ego)

reader50
Administrator
May 27, 2001, 12:49 PM

I'm guessing that the larger file is a .mov file in a native QT format, while the smaller files are MPEG videos. MPEG just takes a bunch of decoding power, and you must not have enough left over to quite make it to full screen. The other possibility is an older video card that can't keep up.

A faster CPU (or newer vid card if that is the problem) would fix it. In the meantime, turn Virtual Memory off & reboot for the change to take effect. Try playing the problem movies right after booting, without any other applications running & demanding system resources. Trimming down your active Extensions and Control Panels might free up some more CPU as well.

phobos  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2001, 01:42 PM

I have an iMacDV400 with 384MB of ram.
The thing is that even in MPEG remember that iMacDV can play full screen movies...

(Geia sou Jacque Lee.Pos kai den eixa proseksei oti eisai apo tin Ellada??Ole.Ta leme )

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 28, 2001, 12:43 AM

Or perhaps you have a fragmented HD, and the large movie file is all in one piece, but the smaller ones are in multiple parts, and the HD is searching for all parts, and that might lower your frame rate.

------------------
Why 1984, won't be
like "1984"

ddiokno
Mac Elite
May 28, 2001, 03:21 AM

moving this to multimedia and dv thread...
dave

Forum Links
Forum Rules