Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Need complete set-up to play X-Wing and Tie Fighter

Need complete set-up to play X-Wing and Tie Fighter
Chad A Wright
Mar 29, 2008, 10:47 PM

I'm looking for someone that can get me an old mac system (preferably something like a G3 iMac) to play X-Wing and Tie Fighter. I need someone to get it up and running with a joystick and both games installed.

I basically want to pull it out of the box, plug in the joystick and start playing.

If you can get something like that going, reply and let me know what it would cost for everything and your time. I could probably do all that myself but really don't want to jack with it. I want the computer just for those two games.

Thanks,
Chad
Chad Wright
Image Studios
The Journey Blog - http://chadwright.wordpress.com

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2008, 02:15 PM

Don't get hopeful - I am just reminiscing while reading your plea/request... I had a G3 beigebox with a Radeon7300 and an ADB Trustmaster Mark 1 FCS and WCS rigged for flight sims and the like. When I upgraded I unloaded the whole thang on my son who in turn passed it off. Sometimes I wish I still had it. good luck on your search.

Chad A Wright  (op)
Apr 3, 2008, 02:40 PM

I'll let you know how it goes. So far, no response. Not looking good.
Chad Wright
Image Studios
The Journey Blog - http://chadwright.wordpress.com

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2008, 06:31 PM

You don't really need all that. In fact, you're better off with an older Windows box since you'll be able to play more than just X-Wing and TIE Fighter. There are other games like X-Wing Vs. TIE Fighter and X-Wing Alliance available for old Windows systems. And any old joystick will probably work.

There's been a lot of interest in this game recently since there haven't been any good space sims in a long time. Here is a discussion I was reading recently about the subject.

There are other options as well - if you don't have your heart set on those games specifically, you can get much prettier graphics and support for OS X Macs by trying out Freespace 2. It's free and it's possibly the last of the genre. Unfortunately it isn't Star Wars.

EDIT: There's also a recent game out called X3: Reunion. It's not really a space sim, more of a trading game like Escape Velocity or Freelancer. But it does give you the first person perspective in a space game. Apparently it's even available for OS X.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

hokie17
Apr 5, 2008, 12:03 PM

The Win95 versions of XW and TF will run in Parallels and Fusion without 3d acceleration, and run with it in Boot Camp. I've varied between both approaches but it works just fine, as do my CH FighterStick and Pro Throttle.
Al MB 2.4GHz 2GB DDR3

Forum Links
Forum Rules