Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Any hope for Snow Leopard?

Any hope for Snow Leopard?
kaplunkett
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2010, 12:04 PM

Now that Snow Leopard is out and Magnifique kills it and is no longer in development is there any hope on the horizon for us die hard themers?
I do love the standard Snow Leopard UI as it seems our friends at apple have finally gotten it right (aside from the dock - I'm using HUD by iAndrew), but I miss having choices.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2010, 12:42 PM

I don't really think that there is much hope. Most devs seem to have just given up on even trying

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2010, 01:08 PM

While I see that this is a loss for GUI tweakers, it really proves how mature and good OS X has become. There are not a lot of obvious, major flaws in SL GUI.

IMO, OS X is a remarkable combination of simplicity and power.

-t

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2010, 09:43 PM

Not in the SL GUI, but in iTunes there sure are

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2010, 11:25 PM

Max Rudberg released Aqua Extreme which tweaks a few things in the GUI. I installed the SL Marble version and it makes the GUI more uniform. Not the days of Kaleidoscope or ShapeShifter but looks better...

kaplunkett  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2010, 08:28 PM

Leave it to good old Max to help us out. I'm liking the marble scrollers, but what else does it do? For that matter, what tweaks are in the non-marble version? Regardless, it's good to know that there are die-hard hackers out there no matter what.

@turtle777 you're absolutely right about this - they've really come a long way from the early days of the stripes and the general discord that was tiger.
But either way there will always be those who want ultimate control over how their gui looks. The majority turn to X Window system and its various desktops, but I personally love the solidity and simplicity that is OS X. I think that's why this section of the forums is so big - we're all looking for our own perfect system, and while the operating system has it down we all like a different aesthetic.

Curiosity
Senior User
Jan 15, 2010, 01:34 AM

Does that allow you to change the background colours inside windows such as the Finder?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2010, 01:59 AM

No.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2010, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
No.
Originally Posted by Terielclark View Post
Really a educative and informative post, the post is good in all regards,I am glad to read this post.

You f*cking sig spammers are the best. Reported.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2010, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by sarahcollin View Post
Yes he is right not much hope
Whatchoo talkin' about, Sarah?

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post

You f*cking sig spammers are the best. Reported.

-t
The spammer has been dealt with... Glenn
( Last edited by ghporter; Mar 18, 2010 at 07:06 AM. )

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2010, 01:49 PM

@kaplunkett Keep yur eyes peeled for the SL release of this one [hopefully later on this year although there has been some radio silence for a few months now... StickerSystem [WIP Theme]. It is truly impressive.

DankOnlee21
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2010, 05:52 AM

I purchased the Snow Leopard upgrade/update thing. After 3 days I still have yet to see any reason to suggest that anybody else purchase this update. Quicktime is a bit different, looks a little better. But, other than that.....I mean seriously, what the hell is the point? And, not to be a bombardment of negativity but WHY THE HELL IS THERE ZERO GUI CUSTOMIZATION/VISUAL STYLES/THEME options with this Operating system like there are for Windows? Up until a year ago I would have said Mac is better than Windows and thats not even debatable. But Im not so sure. Leopard OSX has got to be the most hideous and unappealing user interface ever produced. You talk about fugly. Then they release the Snow Leopard update and the user interface is equally as putrid on the eyes. I admit, appearance is NOT performance and I sound pretty damn superficial right now but have you SEEN the graphics Windows 7 uses and or the GUI customization options Windows 7 offers? WOW. When it comes to the appearance of the user interface Mac flat out sucks, always has, and appears as if it always will.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2010, 10:14 AM

Wow, seriously ?

You would pick Windows over OS X for looks ?

At any rate, I don;'t get your rambling. SL is great looking, not much has changed from Leopard.
Performance wise, it's much better.

Windows (even Windows 7) still looks like programmers did the GUI. Fugly. Yes, Win 7 is less worse than previous iterations, but nowhere near SL.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2010, 10:45 AM

Did you just seriously waste your time on a Windows troll?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2010, 05:49 PM

I guess

-t

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2010, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by DankOnlee21 View Post
When it comes to the appearance of the user interface Mac flat out sucks, always has, and appears as if it always will.
I know right? Apple only invented the fothermucking graphical user interface. Sucked since the beginning.

#sarcasm

kaplunkett  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2010, 12:32 AM

From the point of view of an interactive designer - someone who deals with UI design, user experience and usability every day - I'd have to say that Apple is and has always been at the forefront of all aspects of design.
Everything, from their product design to their GUI to their packaging is always current if not a step ahead.
Look at the iPad for instance. While, as an artist, I was majorly let down when I heard that Apple's first tablet was to be an oversized pda, it's still an amazing feat of design. The form-factor is beautiful and feels good in your hand, and the user experience is so natural that someone like myself, who never owned an iPhone, knew exactly where everything was the first time I picked one up.

I won't get into the many past pitfalls of Microsoft but, while their latest products for desktop and phone seem to be a success, this is only a recent occurrence.
I wish them more success in the future for the sake of the masses who've had to deal with virusware and performance drops and blue screens for years.

As for my favorite feature of Snow Leopard - navigation in stacks. It's ****ing sexy as hell and all the ladies be all up on my junk when I navigatin through my stacks. You could even say I be stackin' it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules