Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > BMW skipping iOS in the Car based on design issues

BMW skipping iOS in the Car based on design issues
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jun 12, 2013, 04:04 PM

BMW vehicles will not support iOS in the Car anytime soon, a spokesperson for the company says. "The upshot is that as we have such an advanced multimedia offer that has been in vehicles in various guises for more than a decade, it would not be that straight forward to start changing all of the architecture of a car as has been implied [by Apple]," the person explains, adding that the process of integrating iOS into a dashboard is "not as simple as it sounds."

As a result, BMW will stick to its iDrive and ConnectedDrive interfaces for the foreseeable future. The spokesperson in fact argues that iOS in the Car is unlikely to become widespread for some time, since carmakers have to plan their dashboard interfaces years in advance of actually manufacturing a vehicle.

BMW is however offering some support for iOS in the near term. The company recently announced that all of its 2014 cars will support Siri Eyes Free, letting people control an iPhone without having to reach over to the phone itself. Brands that have declared support for iOS in the Car include Honda, Mercedes-Benz, Nissan, Ferrari, Chevy, Infiniti, Kia, Hyundai, Volvo, Acura, Opel, and Jaguar.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jun 12, 2013 at 04:29 PM. )

pairof9s
Senior User
Jun 12, 2013, 04:09 PM

Strange...BMW has been in the vanguard of incorporating iPhone operation within their models.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2013, 04:34 PM

iOS is a bit late comer on this. MS Sync already grabbed the Ford lines of cars long ago. Many modern vehicles had already established some sort of OS running in their control console. Partial iOS integration would be more feasible for those cars at this point.

jpruden
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2013, 04:54 PM

Funny how GM, Honda and Kia can do it, but BMW can't...

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2013, 05:16 PM

They still have support for iPod music and Siri Eyes Free. While not quite as complete as iOS in the Car, that's more than sufficient for most drivers. I don't think it's a big deal, though clearly I disagree with their statement that iOS in the Car isn't going to catch on ... um, it apparently already has.

Also, Ford have got to be KICKING themselves for signing a long-term contract for MS Stink. I had been looking at a Ford for my next car (the company has been seriously impressing me of late), but I'm not buying a vehicle that uses MS systems over iOS. I'm not entirely ruling them out yet, but that move may well cost them a sale.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Gepard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2013, 08:52 PM

I have one of the newer models of Ford Taurus. it is a great car except the Microsoft Sync. It is crap. I am sorry. No wonder why Ford doesn't appeal to many customers yet. Ford, if you want to be on the EDGE please connect with Apple!!!
----
You got an idea?

Flying Meat
Senior User
Jun 12, 2013, 09:08 PM

I wouldn't buy a Ford, primarily because of MS Sync. Personal bias. Sorry. That's how it is for me.
Others might be inclined to buy it because it has MS Sync. Not sure why, but whatever...

redcapzero
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2013, 10:16 PM

@chas_m

If you choose a Ford product, do not, REPEAT, do not sign on w/their horrid dual-clutch tranny; unless of course, an after market chip is had just to tune the shift patterns along w/proper rev matching down shifts (helps w/brake longevity). I own an original Focus manual, and for the bucks nothing other than the GTI handles as well...drove, last year, the latest Focus. Nice ride. Tight, heavy steering, fantastic overall road feel; yet that silly dual-clutch...UGH!

So, if Ford is your sights, get the manual (if had for the model you choose). Get it w/basic SYNC (My Ford Touch simply blows), no problems.

See ya on the road (I'll be in the (upcoming) Golf VII GTI).

Enjoy!

drbenru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2013, 10:44 PM

I haven't read the specs to iOS in the Car but based on what was shown it is nothing like a truly integrated system into the car. It doesn't use the car's built in navigation system or cd/dvd or radio or anything other than the phone integration built in microphones and the sound system to output iDevices own sound. iOS in the car seems to simply be adding direct video output to the car's built in navigation screen. In vehicles that this screen is also used for DVD playback I'm sure they'll be a simple dongle that allows the phone to output video to this screen through the video input connector.

BMWs iDrive controls built in radio/CD/DVD as well as Climate Control and am sure Navigation. I don't know if car manufacturers make a lot of profit on car navigation, but considering that their navigation option lists on most manufacturers for anywhere between 700 - 2700 I'm sure that is not a chunk of optional equipment they want to see customers forgo.

We'll see how this turns out. After all if all consumers want is a screen for their smartphones to display navigation and sound integration and caller information on, car manufacturers are not going to have many excuses to charge so much for such a little screen.

jsnowbordr47
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2013, 11:32 PM

I can only hope, but I won't hold my breath that GM will upgrade the MyLink system in my 2013 Cruze to support Siri.

However, even if it doesn't the MyLink system works pretty darn good. It's voice controls actually work. iPod integration is pretty good. The biggest weakness is how it interacts with Pandora, sometimes you have to launch it on your phone first before it works.

If not for the high fees for OnStar, I'd actually see no real benefit to integrating Siri into the MyLink system. Right now with OnStar I can match everything that Siri can do on my cell phone except for text message control.

So for me, Siri in the car would be nice, but I could live without it.

Stuke
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2013, 11:08 AM

While I agree with many here that MS Sync is not for me, I did have the opportunity to rent a Ford Kuga for a trip from Munich to Treviso and back again. The Sync through USB cable immediately linked my iPod touch (2nd gen) and through Bluetooth my iPhone 4 without having to do anything except accept the Bluetooth connection. The display showed the iPod music (title, playlist, etc.) and I could navigate with the steering wheel controls. Changing a playlist wasn't intuitive but I'm sure it is once you "read the manual." Overall this was a 2014 implementation and I wouldn't hold it against buying a Ford, but only after searching for cars (which I will do next month when relocating back to the USA) with iOS capabilities.
--
Stuke

chris2519
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2013, 02:36 PM

I have a 2013 BMW X5. I refuse to use the (very expensive) onboard nav system, and I despise iDrive. In my opinion, it is one of the worst, most cluttered, user unfriendly interfaces available in an automobile. My $49 Tom Tom app on my iPhone is so much easier to navigate, always gives me up to date traffic, reroutes me when necessary, and doesn't require the brainpower that trying to decipher numerous, cluttered, meaningless icons and spinning that stupid wheel. BMW are idiots -- IDIOTS -- for sticking with their antiquated iDrive system.

pottymouth
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2013, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by chris2519 View Post
I have a 2013 BMW X5. I refuse to use the (very expensive) onboard nav system, and I despise iDrive. In my opinion, it is one of the worst, most cluttered, user unfriendly interfaces available in an automobile. My $49 Tom Tom app on my iPhone is so much easier to navigate, always gives me up to date traffic, reroutes me when necessary, and doesn't require the brainpower that trying to decipher numerous, cluttered, meaningless icons and spinning that stupid wheel. BMW are idiots -- IDIOTS -- for sticking with their antiquated iDrive system.
My brother's got a 2010ish X5, have they reworked it since then? I guess I haven't used more than a couplefew times from the driver's seat, but from my limited experience I thought it was all pretty well put together. It's sure a helluva lot more pleasant to use than the electronic nightmare in the Ford Expedition I rented recently. My god, that thing was AWFUL. I'll certainly never rent another Ford if I've got any say in the matter.

Forum Links
Forum Rules