Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > jag and batteries

jag and batteries
deathandtaxes
Sep 7, 2002, 09:52 PM

Jag seems to put a serious drain on batteries. I don't think I want to install it on my Ti/550 that I use on battery a lot. A 25% hit is just too much. Can anyone convince me otherwise???

midwinter
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2002, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by deathandtaxes:
Jag seems to put a serious drain on batteries. I don't think I want to install it on my Ti/550 that I use on battery a lot. A 25% hit is just too much. Can anyone convince me otherwise???
Jag extended battery life on my iBook by 30 minues and fixed the battery drain during sleep issue.

Cheers
Scott

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2002, 11:33 PM

Even with all "server" services off in the sharing pref pane (a suggestion from another thread), my dual USB iBook 500 won't auto sleep. Which wouldn't be so bad if the damn hard drive would just spin down every once in a while. I don't like auto sleep so much, but when the hard drive is always spinning, my battery doesn't last nearly as long as it should.

Try making sure all sharing services are off, as some people have had success with that. Didn't work for me, though.

mattyd
Senior User
Sep 10, 2002, 12:27 PM

on my ti400 it seems to use less battery while sleeping, but much more while being used. bummer.

battery life really sucks under os x.

Originally posted by midwinter:

Jag extended battery life on my iBook by 30 minues and fixed the battery drain during sleep issue.

Cheers
Scott

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2002, 11:12 PM

Good news -- I realized I had 90 days tech support with my Jaguar upgrade (warranty just ran out on the iBook), and so I called Apple to let them figure it out. All I needed to do to fix it was reset the power manager. Here's what you do:

-- shut down the iBook
-- hold in the tiny button next to the phones jack for 10 seconds (you'll need a pen or a straightened paper clip or something)
-- take out the battery
-- hold the button in for 10 seconds again
-- reboot

My iBook now automatically sleeps and more importantly (for my uses) will spin the hard drive down. Woohoo!! Sometimes seems like it takes longer for sleep than the Energy Saver pref says it should, but it did in fact go to sleep. And I've heard the hard drive spin down a couple times now. I'm sure some apps may still keep this from happening when they really shouldn't (Entourage Database Daemon was notorious for this before), but those are problems I can work around as I descover them.

Anyway, hope this helps others in the same predicament.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Sep 15, 2002, 11:27 PM

Hm, that's odd. I actually squeezed 5 hours out of Jag on my iBook/500 once...

That was on a brand new battery, but still.

I'd suggest calling Apple though. I'm under AppleCare and the guy just sent me over a new battery, because my old one wasn't working too well.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2002, 11:38 PM

Originally posted by gorgonzola:
Hm, that's odd. I actually squeezed 5 hours out of Jag on my iBook/500 once...

That was on a brand new battery, but still.

I'd suggest calling Apple though. I'm under AppleCare and the guy just sent me over a new battery, because my old one wasn't working too well.
Yeah, I've read reports on the Apple boards of similar happenings (new batteries, AppleCare, etc.). Since I didn't have the cash to pony up for AppleCare when my warranty ran out, I didn't get it. Probably won't let that happen again if I can help it. Anyway, I do hope to get better battery life now that the hard drive will actually spin down (should double it easily, methinks), and at the very least I should be able to watch an entire DVD on battery again. And I may buy a second battery eventually anyway, so as to have a new fresh one (sounds like it makes a big difference) and also a spare.

Telusman
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2002, 12:46 AM

My battery life has dramatically increased, and sometimes, dramatically decreased.

I take my laptop to work with me for pure entertainment value, I often dont plug it in, it will last me from 8:30 am till almost 12:00 pm, I have my power settings set to sleep the display and i don't let the disk spin down, cuz basically my Powerbook is an ipod for my office.

On a full battery charge however, somedays i get less then an hour and a half, but other days, i get around 4 hours, which mind boggles me. Often when waking from deep sleep and its unplugged it gives me a reserve power warning, however it dissapears cuz the battery meter goes up, rather than down. im very impressed sometimes but very dissapointed sometimes, I really enjoy jaguar but sometimes it does seem to suck battery, other times it seems to take forever to drain it.... it's late, so im not sure if this is making any sense, but thats just what ive noticed....
"No ma'am i'm not angry at you, I'm angry at the cruel twist of fate that directed your call to my extension..."

Cipher13
Sep 16, 2002, 06:40 AM

OS9 gets much more battery life than OSX... shame, since my iBook runs 95% X.

Mutant
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2002, 06:54 AM

Another datapoint; Rev A TiBook, about fourteen months old, two batteries, one original and the second purchased about one month ago.

A little over two hours on the original battery, a little over three on the new one. This is with iTunes playing as I use iPhoto, Photoshop (under Classic) and Terminal (vi) to create some web pages last weekend while I was on the road.
TiBook (400Mhz, 256MB, 30GB, Airport) / iMac 350 (350Mhz, 384MB, 4B, AIrport) / iMac DV+ (450Mhz, 320MB, 20GB, Airport) / PowerMac 5500/275 (64MB, 20GB) / Mac TV / Mac SE / iPod (5GB) / iPaq 3850 / Sony AIBO (just for fun)

Forum Links
Forum Rules