Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Sony Clie on OSX?

Sony Clie on OSX?
Mutant
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2002, 08:59 AM

How about it?

I've had it with my iPaq (it seemed like a good idea at the time) and I'm definitely moving back into the Palm OS camp, and considering a Sony Clie.

Anyone using one on OS X? And how about Avantgo - any problems / issues under OS X? Finally, I'd ideally like to use my new PDA with my Nokia 8210 (thats one thing the Compaq does well), so has anyone out there gotten a Clie to use the Nokias IRDA modem?

Thanks for any help
TiBook (400Mhz, 256MB, 30GB, Airport) / iMac 350 (350Mhz, 384MB, 4B, AIrport) / iMac DV+ (450Mhz, 320MB, 20GB, Airport) / PowerMac 5500/275 (64MB, 20GB) / Mac TV / Mac SE / iPod (5GB) / iPaq 3850 / Sony AIBO (just for fun)

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2002, 04:17 PM

http://www.markspace.com/missingsync.html

As far as I know, AvantGo doesnt have an OSX client.
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

kidtexas
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2002, 07:31 PM

Hell yeahhh. Just got one the other day (SJ30) and its been great. Palm desktop, isync, etc doesn't support some the extra features (loading the mem stick as a desktop drive) but the missing sync adds some of that stuff. I must recommend an app called (mac)notetaker. kinda like memopad replacement but has an OS X conduit for the files. nice.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 4, 2002, 04:36 PM

I've been considering an SJ30 -- is the Missing Sync absolutely necessary, or is it only necessary to access the clie-specific features?

tooki

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2002, 04:47 PM

Nah, get the NR70V... everyone needs a digital camera in a PDA. (it also shoots movies and you can edit them on it).

G-mac
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2002, 05:31 PM

I've been reading around the ClieSource and these forums and it seems the Missing Sync isn't really necessary. Apparently, the latest Palm Desktop as well as infrared syncing works fine under OS X. Others have noted that their Clies sync with iSync as well.

However, people have had trouble accessing the Memory Stick as a desktop-mounting drive among other Clie-specific features. Missing Sync apparently fixes all those problems. The Missing Sync website lists Palm Desktop syncing as one of its features, but is it really the only solution?

Personally, I'm not entirely sure if the Clie syncs with Palm Desktop OS X straight out of the box, but I'm interested in knowing the truth. I just ordered a Clie for a Mac lover as a Christmas gift!

as2
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2002, 01:11 AM

My Sony Clie T615 synced with Palm Desktop with no problems at all. The Missing Sync just add's functionality on top of Palm Desktop, as that is one of the required applications for it to work.

Unless you specifically need to access Memorystick media, which in my case I don't, then Palm Desktop is perfectly adequete.

Adam
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

Tomster
Senior User
Dec 10, 2002, 02:54 AM

Missing Sync is esential for Clie's that shipped with palm 3.5 or older. The 760 was basically a 710 updated to 4.0, thus it still needed the Missing Sync. Any of the newer Clie's should sync out of the box. Missing Sync adds three pretty cool things.

1. mounting the memory stick on the desktop

2. mounting the clie in iTunes for music sync

3. mounting the clie in iPhoto for importing or exporting pictures

It's up to you to decide if you want these features

Forum Links
Forum Rules