Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How likely is an update to the 12"PB in the next month or two?

How likely is an update to the 12"PB in the next month or two?
Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 28, 2003, 06:06 PM

Just wondering. My lovely wife has finally decided to treat herself to some toys (bought me an iSight this morning) and is going to get a 12"PB and an ipod after playing with my Tibook and the ipod she bought for my birthday last year.

If there's an update likely in the next month or two, I'll tell her to hold off until then, if it's not going to be until nearer the end of the year, she'll probably get the book soon.

I know there's always the upgrade risk with buying something, but I figured it's been nearly 6 months since the 12 and 17 came out and thought there might be something due over the summer.

Cheers,

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

slow moe
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2003, 06:18 PM

Well, in light of recent events, if they came out with newer PB's tomorrow without G5's in them, that really wouldn't constitute as an update now would it.

My advice, purchase one and enjoy using it. They are wonderful machines.
Lysdexics have more fnu.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2003, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by Freeflyer:
Just wondering. My lovely wife has finally decided to treat herself to some toys (bought me an iSight this morning) and is going to get a 12"PB and an ipod after playing with my Tibook and the ipod she bought for my birthday last year.

If there's an update likely in the next month or two, I'll tell her to hold off until then, if it's not going to be until nearer the end of the year, she'll probably get the book soon.

I know there's always the upgrade risk with buying something, but I figured it's been nearly 6 months since the 12 and 17 came out and thought there might be something due over the summer.

Cheers,

J.
Like yourself, I would normally have said that an update would be imminent, 6 months since the launch etc, but looking at the 15" upgrade wait, you just never know!

However there are indications that something is in the works... If you can, I would hold off until after MWNY/Create (or whatever it is being called today!) as it looks like the ideal opportunity for an upgrade of sorts...

Another thing that makes me suspicious, is the French Mac sales site that showed the G4s as EOL just before the G5 update... They were spot on, and interestingly also showed the 12" and 15" as EOL/being updated imminently.

I never usually say this but, would give it a month or two and see what happens...

Other than that, it is all pretty much guess work.

However, the 12" is a great machine update or not. I just sold my 12" Combo drive model, but it was easily one of the best Macs I have had in years! And the best notebook since my Wallstreet.

Peace,

Marc

Sean Li
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2003, 03:34 AM

I'd wait until after MacWorld CreativePro as well (July 16th). The PowerBooks are, in theory, next in line for an update.

I'm guessing that we'll see speed-bumped 12" and 17" PowerBooks, and an updated 15". It's only a 2.5 week wait

Of course, that doesn't mean they'll *ship* in 2.5 weeks!

x user
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2003, 10:40 AM

Actually iBooks haven't had a decent upgrade in a LONG time. Maybe a dual announcement? I doubt CREATE will have anything to do with it though.

Reminds me too much of SPECTRE...

Moosecat
Jun 30, 2003, 11:14 AM

I'm also fighting off the 12" urge right now -- I plan to wait until mid-July. (Pending, of course, any further reliable rumors.)

I recommend monitoring Macrumors.com, which is pretty on top of this. At the least, occasionally check out macrumors' "Buyer's Guide," which summarizes recent rumors and projects updates based on average intervals between updates in the past. MR's current advice on Powerbooks is "Don't Buy" based on the long interval since the last update.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2003, 11:31 AM

Update? Well, it is Tuesday tomorrow...

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2003, 11:35 AM

Does anyone know the history of updates vs. pricing on the suddenly outdated model?

i.e.: Will the current 12" witness another price drop if new machines are announced?

I just acquired a Pismo, but it's only served to whet my appetite for a new PowerBook. As the Pismo is already on eBay again (I've only had it two weeks), I'm looking at getting a 12" very soon.

Not worried about the latest & greatest, b/c it'll likely be out of my price range. But if the current 12s will come down some more, that would certainly be worth the wait in my book.
( Last edited by DigitalEl; Jun 30, 2003 at 06:47 PM. )
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2003, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by DigitalEl:
Does anyone know the history of updates vs. pricing on the suddenly outdated model?

i.e.: Will the current 12" witness another price drop if new machines are announced?

I just acquired a Pismo, but it's only served to whet my appetite for a new PowerBook. As the Pismo is already on eBay again (I've only had it two weeks), I'm looking at getting a 12" very soon.

Not worried about the latest & greatest, b/c it'll likely be out of my price range. But if the current 12s will come down some more, that would certainly be worth the wait in my book.
'Out of date' machines are not usually officially reduced in price through the Applestore online. Also, there are usually not that many of them left in the channel, as stocks have been cleared out in preparation for the new models...

If there are any amount left, they sometimes go through to the Education Store, sometimes they go through the refurb store... but never sold direct to the public as 'reduced' stock.

They could also be sold to dealers at a lower price who may pass on this reduction to the consumer.

Unfortunately, there are no hard and fast rules on this...

noiroi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2003, 01:21 PM

according to my experience, it is possible to get previous generation machines for a lower price in most local retail shops for at least few weeks after the new machines start shipping.

mind you that most dealers don't know about the release date of new machines much more in advanced then everybody else does,and therefore will still have some old machines in stock when the new machines are released.
regardless of wether they've bought them from apple in a lowered price or not ,they can't sell the old machines at the same price as the new ones.
they're bound then to sell whatever old machines they have in stock for a (sometimes significantly ) lower price.

clf8
Jun 30, 2003, 07:03 PM

They'll be updated Tuesday. The only question is, which Tuesday.
Seriously though, I've been waiting since about March. If you can hold out 2 more months, you'll probably be happy. If you need it now, get it now. If you don't need it now, think you can hold out, break down eventually and get a current model, then they will be updated the next week.
-Flowers...

xyber233
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 12:00 PM

I really hope they get updated soon seeing as I need a laptop when school starts. I too have been fighting the urge to buy a 12" but I think I can hold out a little longer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules