Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > iBooks & Tiger

iBooks & Tiger
exiva
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2004, 03:58 PM

Does anyone else find it upsetting that our current iBook g4's (and other machines like eMacs) that are less than a year old will not be fully functional under Tiger??

Supported graphics cards:

* ATI Radeon 9800 XT
* ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
* ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
* ATI Radeon 9600 XT
* ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
* ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
* ATI Mobility Radeon 9600
* NVIDIA GeForceFX Go 5200
* NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 Ultra

So people with iBooks less than a year old will have a scaled back version of Core Image.

This seems like a bad descision on apple's part. and i for one hope that its changed to include a 9200.
12 Inch G4 iBook | 256 MB Ram | 30 GB Hdd
Purchased January 24, 2004

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2004, 04:18 PM

You are an Apple apologist.

These machines will be fully functional under Tiger. Everything they are capable to do, they will be able to do.
Other machines are capable to do more than an iBook and eMac (somewhat naturally). I don't think it's a mistake by Apple to fully leverage these capabilities in Tiger.

And Tiger is a year away, so no reason to panic. iBooks and eMac will do useful work for that time and beyond.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

sandsl
Senior User
Jun 29, 2004, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by exiva:
This seems like a bad descision on apple's part.
Mines not in the list either, but i'm not crying
A bad decission? what to innovate? - you've got to be mad, the reason yours graphics card and mine aren't listed is because they aren't powerful enough!
Luke

fiesta cat
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2004, 04:45 PM

If you read through some of their other pages/info on Tiger, you'll realize that your Mac will work, it's just that you may have a stepped down version of certain things (i.e. you may not get all of the spiffy new graphics additions - you'll get a more toned down version of them).

vertex
Jun 29, 2004, 04:46 PM

It was the samewith Quartz extreme, lots of G3's were left out in the cold with that. No big deal though cause it's the nature of moving technology.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2004, 04:49 PM

Actually, CoreImage will continue to work, even on older machines. It won't be hardware-accelerated, due to the fact that this stuff relies heavily on technology which simply did not exist in graphics cards until quite recently, so it must be emulated.

That's all it is; Apple is providing an emulator for graphics cards which were created before the necessary pixel-shading technologies existed. What is the matter with this?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2004, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by vertex:
It was the samewith Quartz extreme, lots of G3's were left out in the cold with that. No big deal though cause it's the nature of moving technology.
Actually, it's not quite the same.

QE didn't depend on entirely new technology; everything it needed existed even on older graphics cards. However, Apple considered -rightly or wrongly- that these cards were not fast enough to provide a better experience than the older, unaccelerated but also simpler, routines. It might be said that Apple should have let users make that decision -frankly, I would agree with that assertion- but again, this is a different situation.

CoreImage depends on completely new technology. Apple is providing an emulator for machines which lack this technology so that they can at least benefit somewhat, but it's in the nature of emulation that it won't run as fast (and emulating in hardware is an oxymoron).
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2004, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by exiva:
Does anyone else find it upsetting that our current iBook g4's (and other machines like eMacs) that are less than a year old will not be fully functional under Tiger??
The current iBooks will be at least a year old by the time Tiger actually ships.

t_hah
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2004, 05:01 PM

This is completely normal. We need new ideas, new technologies, and we need to develop software that take advantage of those new technologies...graphics cards in this case. In a few years (5-10) all Apple hardware will be much more powerful than today's stuff...and even Tiger might end up looking outdated with Core Image. That is just the way things work.

I have a PowerBook that I have bought two years ago. QE is fully supported on my machine, but Core Image will not be. So what, not the end of the world. Apple mentioned that Core Image will scale down on slower hardware, and that is enough for me.

If I wanted to take advantage of the newest technologies at all times, I would have to have the latest hardware...that is just the way things work.

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Jun 29, 2004, 08:39 PM

In this thread, I said that I would buy a Powerbook instead of an iBook, because the iBook's graphics chip doesn't support Pixel Shaders properly and I assumed that Apple would make use of these Pixel Shaders in Tiger. I was right!

Apple cannot add the 9200er chip for that reason: It doesn't support the necessary technology. It's not too slow (actually, it's just as fast as the GeForce 5200 Go), it doesn't merely have too little memory. It simply doesn't support the needed Pixel Shaders and there's nothing Apple can do about that (other than finally putting another graphics chip into the iBooks).

Forum Links
Forum Rules