Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Ipod shuffle-just got it, and its screwed up already!!!

Ipod shuffle-just got it, and its screwed up already!!!
Larry Klassen
Mar 25, 2005, 03:00 AM

I just got it, downloaded a few songs onto it, but didn't like the order so I erased them all. I don't know what happened, I may have removed it without ejecting, I'm not sure, but my powerbook won't recognize the ipod now, and it tells me to use update or return to factory settings using the ipod update software. I've done that 20 times now (and downloaded the newest version, etc.) but no matter what I do (I've installed it on the Powerbook, the shuffle, everything) it still comes up with the same thing, not recognizing it, and telling me to restore to factory settings.

Before I take it back to Best Buy in a rage, is there anything else I can try? I've spent over 2 hrs of my life that I'm not getting back and I'm really pissed at this thing already. Anyone else have these problems?!

Spliff
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2005, 03:26 AM

Mine works great so far.

Why don't you call Apple Tech Support before returning it.

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Mar 25, 2005, 10:31 AM

Try rebooting your powerbook and then attaching your pod - sounds like it has got confused!

Larry Klassen  (op)
Mar 25, 2005, 11:45 AM

I finally got it to work, it was an issue with returning the iPod back to factory settings - the instructions for this are absolutely terrible. 3 hours of screwing around with it and I finally stumble upon it myself. This thing is hardly plug and play, which is why I switched to Apple recently in the first place. Sorry, just venting. I hope the growing pains of this switch don't last much longer, its getting real frustrating!

Thanks for the input folks.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2005, 12:49 PM

Larry, what exactly was the "issue"?

Chris

mh0ffmann
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2005, 05:13 PM

I have the same problem and have used iPod Updater (March 2005 version) to 'Restore' my shuffle about 50 times already, but I cannot get my Mac to recognize it after the first fill.

How exactly did you reset back to factory settings?

I'm VERY frustrated and cannot find a solution (5 'regular' iPods work just fine on the same computer).

Thanks.

mark
MacBookPro 15" / 2.16 GHz / 100 GB 7200 RPM / 1 Gb
White MacBook 13.3" / 1.8 GHz / 60GB / 1 Gb
PB 5300cs (!!!) 100 MHz / 750 Mb / 16 Mb

Larry Klassen  (op)
Apr 3, 2005, 05:53 PM

For me the issue was just finding how to do the factory reset - after I did that, it was recognized and hasn't been a problem since. Sorry, I don't know about it not recognizing it after its been reset.

mh0ffmann
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2005, 06:01 PM

And, to be clear, what exactly do you mean by 'factory reset'? Do you mean using iPod Update to Restore settings, or is there another 'hard-reset' feature that I might be unaware of?

Thanks.

Larry Klassen  (op)
Apr 3, 2005, 06:46 PM

Just the ipod update to restore to factory settings - sorry, using the wrong terminology. I'm unaware of any other sort of hard reset.

mh0ffmann
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2005, 07:51 PM

Great. Thanks.

That, unfortunately, hasn't worked for me (and, it seems, for several others making rabid posts in the Apple Support forums).

Thanks anyhow.

Mark

Nerozwei
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2005, 01:31 AM

Originally posted by mh0ffmann:
Great. Thanks.

That, unfortunately, hasn't worked for me (and, it seems, for several others making rabid posts in the Apple Support forums).

Thanks anyhow.

Mark
I've got the same problem. I've had to reset the Shuffle each time I've plugged it in for a while now. This morning I couldn't even get the iPod Updater to work. I just gives me 'das beach ball of deth' when I plug the shuffle in. I'll have to look into the Apple Support forums too...

Still, good to see I'm not the only one with this problem

mh0ffmann
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2005, 10:45 AM

The Apple Support Forums have enough people with this problem to start an ad-hoc support group!

It's quite unlike Apple to not do something to fix the issue quickly...

Let's hope it doesn't take 'em too much longer.

Mark

Forum Links
Forum Rules