Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Clean Tiger install.. how to preserve mail spam 'sniffing'

Clean Tiger install.. how to preserve mail spam 'sniffing'
Nerozwei
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2005, 01:09 PM

I'll be doing a clean install of Tiger on my iBook. It's just to get rid of all the useless apps, etc. that I haven't used in a while. I use Mail and have taught it to sniff out spam pretty well... How can I preserve the settings so I don't have to train it again?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2005, 01:18 PM

Archive and install gives you an option to import old settings, I think it should get mails spams settings.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

papplegate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2005, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Nerozwei
I'll be doing a clean install of Tiger on my iBook. It's just to get rid of all the useless apps, etc. that I haven't used in a while. I use Mail and have taught it to sniff out spam pretty well... How can I preserve the settings so I don't have to train it again?
If you really want a clean install and want to save the settings do this per Macworld:
"Copy Spam Training
I just spent several weeks training Apple Mail to filter junk mail like an obedient puppy. Now it works beautifully, and I no longer need to tell it what is junk and what isn�t. But my wife just got a new Mac, and we�d like to have spam filtering on it as well. Do we have to go through the whole training period again?

Fortunately, once you train one Mac to recognize junk mail, you can transfer its learning to any Mac you want; just copy one file from your Mac to the same location on the other Mac. In the Finder, select Go: Go To Folder and type ~/Library/Mail/ , then locate the file LSMmap. (It may also be called LSMMap2). Drop the LSMmap file into the new Mac�s Mail folder, and you�ve instantly trained Mail in the art of catching spam."
http://www.macworld.com/2005/03/secr...gmac/index.php
iMac G5 20'' 250GB, 2GB RAM OS X Server 10.4.8
MacBook Pro C2D 3GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules