Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Fast User Switch Problem

Fast User Switch Problem
Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2005, 08:14 AM

Hi all,

I have a funny problem, and while not a big issue, it's bugging the heck out of me.

The situation is this - I have a relatively new install of Tiger (10.4.2) on my Mac, and I have two accounts - mine and my wifes.

When I use Fast User Switching from my Wifes account to Mine, the fancy spinning cube animation briefly shows an old desktop picture before flicking to my current one.

My question is, how do I "flush" the "cube cache"? Clearly the first time the fast user switching animation is created, it's saved somewhere and used whenever the effect is needed. Is there anyway to delete this?

I have tried;

1) Turning Fast User Switching on and off again.
2) Changing my desktop pictures.

Any ideas?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2005, 08:16 AM

Trash the Finder plist. Empty caches and run the cron jobs. Try using Winswitch (free app and very, very handy).

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2005, 08:21 AM

This will always happen if you are not logged in when you switch to your account. But if you are logged in, you should only see your desktop.

Chris

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2005, 10:21 AM

I checked Winswitch hoping it would also fix the iTunes problem when switching accounts...no luck....

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2005, 10:30 AM

Haha, I have the same thing, I get to see a background I used months ago. Doesn't really bug me, but would be nice to get rid of it. I've done everything a dozen times except trashing the Finder plist and using Winswitch. I'll give it a try...

edit : I have noticed that if I go to Login Window, iTunes continues playing. This wasn't before, must be a 10.4.2 thing...

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

jay3ld
Senior User
Aug 23, 2005, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by d.fine
edit : I have noticed that if I go to Login Window, iTunes continues playing. This wasn't before, must be a 10.4.2 thing...
it does that to me in 10.3.9 no mater what i do. login window or fast user switch itunes plays on...

Wet Jimmy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2005, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
Trash the Finder plist. Empty caches and run the cron jobs. Try using Winswitch (free app and very, very handy).
Thanks Randman! I'll try this tonight and see how it goes! One question though - how do I run Cron jobs?

As for Chabig's comment - I have tried every combination of being logged in or out of each different account, and it still happens. Even deleted my wifes account in case the animation to switch to another account is stored with it.

Anyway, I'll try deleting the .plist file, and if that doesn't work, I'll try WinSwitch. Thanks again!

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2005, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Wet Jimmy
As for Chabig's comment - I have tried every combination of being logged in or out of each different account, and it still happens. Even deleted my wifes account in case the animation to switch to another account is stored with it.
I think I might have misunderstood your problem. I went back and read your description. It does sound strange, but I don't know what to do about it.

Chris

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2005, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Wet Jimmy
Thanks Randman! I'll try this tonight and see how it goes! One question though - how do I run Cron jobs?
There are several apps you can use for this, such as f.e. MacJanitor, Onyx or Cocktail.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2005, 05:39 AM

There is a folder : /Library/Caches/Desktop Pictures ... that contains documents with names like ' 501.4236a8o '. Could clearing these files clear the desktop/cube animation cache?

edit : I also found some files in following folder /Users/xxx/Library/Caches/Desktop ... where there are '.dpCache' and '.dpimageCache' files that have the names of previously used desktop images...
( Last edited by d.fine; Aug 24, 2005 at 05:46 AM. )

Wet Jimmy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2005, 10:00 PM

d.fine - Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately I tried deleting this files, and no such luck The old "Cube" still appears.

Also ran Mac Janitor, and ran each of the Daily, Weekly and Monthly tasks. Still no good.

So... any other ideas? That damn picture must be stored SOMEWHERE....

Forum Links
Forum Rules