Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Firefox or Safari, and why?

Firefox or Safari, and why? (Page 2)
tboparis
Nov 4, 2006, 02:05 PM

I tried firefox for a month but I think that even if it is 'compatible' with more websites than safari it's dead slow and the UI is poor.

threestain
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 06:48 PM

And now Omniweb is only $10 - a safari built one with a fantastic set of extras!

brutal
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2006, 02:00 PM

Firefox here.

Safari is definitely prettier, and with Saft installed it's a great browser. But it has an annoying memoryleak that bumps the memory usage over 200mb in no time, and ends up grinding it to a halt.

I'm running a custom Intel-build of Firefox 2.0, and it's fast as hell. Way faster than Safari.
However, I WOULD use Camino if it could run Adblock (Which actually might happen)
( Last edited by brutal; Nov 5, 2006 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Wrong url)

F*ckDell
Banned
Nov 5, 2006, 03:41 PM

what do you guys think about the new IE 7 interface?

DuckRacer1
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2006, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by F*ckDell View Post
what do you guys think about the new IE 7 interface?
I've only tried IE7 Beta 1, and while it's an improvement over IE6 (anything is, in fact), I don't really care for it.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2006, 04:23 PM

Would never use firefox on a mac, its ok on windows because thats a consistency nightmare as it is and the default interface looks like trash.
However on a mac I can't stand the non-standard buttons and HORRIBLE anti-alias engine. Safari feels nicer, has much better text, nicer looking form controls, better shortcuts in text fields, better spellchecker and feels like a piece of mac software.

brutal
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2006, 06:16 PM

looks aren't everything though.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2006, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by brutal View Post
looks aren't everything though.
It's the "feel" that feels wrong for Firefox.

milhouse
Senior User
Nov 6, 2006, 01:47 PM

I was a die-hard Safari user for a long time, only dabbling in Firefox, Omniweb and Camino.

Camino is neat but is missing too many features and I haven't seen that is extensible like FF.

In the past, I never cared for FireFox's unMac-like UI and because I use Safari Enhancer and Saft on Safari, missed that functionality on FireFox.

When FF 2.0 was launched I re-explored it, looking long and hard at available FF extensions.

I also found the Intel-optimized version called BonEcho with pre-fancified widgets (choose Aqua or Firefoxy).
<Borat> NIIiiiiiiice</Borat>

Here's my current set: (some duplicate functionality of others and will eventually go)

1Passwd (indispensable keychain integration for multiple browsers) Worth checking out, IMO.
bumble search
cooliris previews
customize google
download them all
free ebook search
inline google definitions (replaces os x dictionary search)
ook? video
scrapbook
search google images
search with
slim search
tab mix plus
termblaster with Firefox
user agent switcher
video downloader
Whois
Zotero

GrApple (EOS) theme.

IMO, with new themes and extensions, FF is now a solid replacement for Safari in most, if not all areas.
Admittedly the UI is not up to Mac standards and there is no access to services (a big issue for many) but the functionality sets are about on par.
FF even has some neat tools not available on Safari. For example it has the Scrapbook extension and Zotero as well (both good for online research). I nearly forgot to mention that FF can scroll through the available tabs by placing the cursor on a tab and scrolling (even works on a portable with the track pad scroll feature) sweet!

I live in the export as pdf function of Safari (PhD student) and developed an effective workflow for saving relevant research articles using Safari.
With FF 2.0, I don't have the simple "export as pdf" option from Safari Extender, but I can use scrapbook or, given the proper type of website, Zotero. (I know FF can save as pdf via the print menu, it's not as convenient however).

I have found that FF works on sites that are problematic for Safari, including things as trivial as log out buttons, simple scripting etc. OTOH, I have never found a website that FF couldn't handle but Safari could.

I also use SpeedDownload and the plugin is a bit wonky in FF. There seem to be trade offs but the functionality gap seems to be closing between the two.

For me, the bottom line is that I could get by using either browser. I much prefer Safari's UI, services integration and generally prefer the available add on functionality (though it is commercial and FF extensions are mostly free). I am currently giving FF a go, searching out solutions when the need arises.

The only issue I've had with FF was when using the Google Sync extension, it stalled the browser big time. Since removing it, all has been swell.

Cheers
( Last edited by milhouse; Nov 6, 2006 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Edited to add content.)
"-Dodge This"

mrmister
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 12:11 AM

Camino.

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2006, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by sushiism View Post
and HORRIBLE anti-alias engine.
THAT's what it is!
I had never been able to put my finger on why my eyes bother me when I use FF, and why it seemed so much harder to read comfortably. You're right, it's awful. Is there any fix for this, any custom builds or anything?

Forum Links
Forum Rules