Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > International iTunes Music Store

International iTunes Music Store
Andy8
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2007, 08:14 PM

I live in a place which does not have access to a local ITMS. I would be prepared to pay a premium over other localised stores to gain access from here (or any other country not covered by ITMS).

Apple should at least offer something to its international customers, even if it is at a higher price point, so as not to upset the other ITMSs.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2007, 09:08 PM

Uhh, okay. Thanks for letting us know.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2007, 10:15 PM

Won't happen due to licensing issues.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2007, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
The Union doesn't seem thrilled about these licencing practices.

http://www.reuters.com/article/music...52503020070403

European Commission spokesman said agreements between Apple and the record companies violate the European Union's rules that prohibit restrictive business practices.
V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2007, 11:47 PM

Interesting. Apple seems to be between a rock and a hard place with this one.

Apple said it wanted to offer a pan-European store but was hemmed in by the music companies' demands.

"Apple has always tried to operate a single pan-European iTunes stores accessible by anyone from any member state. But we were advised by the music labels and publishers that there were certain legal limits to the rights they could grant us," its statement said.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2007, 12:03 AM

If you're an expat, you can still order from the iTunes in your home country as long as you have a credit card with a mailing address to your home address in that country. For example, I use my US Visa and purchase stuff from the US iTunes store when abroad, in Singapore where I'm living. Once you check in, you don't get the prompt saying your county isn't valid for purchases.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Andy8  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2007, 12:38 AM

If the international ITMS charged a higher rate than the most expensive licenses, then no one is losing out. Or am I missing something here?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2007, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
If the international ITMS charged a higher rate than the most expensive licenses, then no one is losing out. Or am I missing something here?
Legalities, basically. Who would own such music, which filthy lawyers would try and get a piece?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Brass
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2007, 01:23 AM

Although if the other music labels follow EMI's lead, this would become a non-issue with all the DRM-free music.

Andy8  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2007, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Brass View Post
Although if the other music labels follow EMI's lead, this would become a non-issue with all the DRM-free music.
Let us hope this happens pronto!

tboparis
Apr 3, 2007, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
Let us hope this happens pronto!
Although I would really like an international music store (can't buy any films or tv shows around here) I don't think its happening any time soon.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2007, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Brass View Post
That's not true, though. There are still legalities regarding the distribution licensing of DRM-free music. For example, CD WOW! has recently been in the news for similar reasons, and they're actually selling physical CDs (with no DRM) - not digital downloads.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2007, 10:38 AM

Yeah. Companies still insist on their "rights" — there's just no software enforcement to annoy the buyer. Apple still has to respect the legal BS.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

macintologist
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2007, 03:28 PM

Can someone please explain to me why the record companies don't want to sell to every single country? Are they trying to reduce their sales or what??

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2007, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
Can someone please explain to me why the record companies don't want to sell to every single country?
They might not have the rights to.

I might have a distribution deal with EvilRecordCompanyA in the EU, but a deal with AssholeRecordCompanyB in the US.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2007, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
Can someone please explain to me why the record companies don't want to sell to every single country? Are they trying to reduce their sales or what??
Well, big record companies aren't just one company. They have different arms in different markets, with different strategies and pricing schemes etc. Each wants to retain their own revenues for political reasons, and may only have licenses to sell music in their own markets. Yes, this business model is antiquated and doesn't reflect the global market of today, but that's how it is.

Andy8  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2007, 03:47 AM

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2007, 04:19 AM

Mind you: All that would mean is that we might eventually get a single EU iTunes store.

Record labels will not offer worldwide distribution in our lifetime, and of course, China is a special case, seeing as the VAST majority of all copyrighted content distributed there is pirated. Of course, that has historical reasons: If nobody will officially trade with you, your only chance as a country is to adopt an official "copy and make it yourself" stance.

But it's going to make a legal resolution to online music distribution nigh impossible for a long, long time.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2007, 04:52 AM

I don't mind a unified EU iTunes store. Better variety of music to choose from.

Forum Links
Forum Rules