Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > imac graphics cards

imac graphics cards
Flemming
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2007, 07:58 PM

Hello there,

Wondering if anyone could help me out.. on the topic of buying a imac again. I study communication design at uni and I'm looking at buying an imac for the first time. Basically i want it to last me throughout my degree. Looking at the costs for Aus. there is a $229.00 price difference if i get a 20inch model with a ATI Radeon X1600/256MB VRAM graphics card, compared to a 17 inch with the standard [B]ATI Radeon X1600/128MB VRAM [/B Both with 2GB RAM, 2.16 GHZ Processor and 250 GB Hard drive

Do you think this $229 difference is woth the price or am I being greedy.

Also whats your views on the new OSX Lepard should I wait until October to get it included on my mac or purchase now and use the current osx system?

Appreciate any input please set me right if I am getting way to excited and going over the top

many thanks!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2007, 04:33 PM

If you are doing design, I would think the extra screen real estate would come in handy too. If you have the money, you should go for it.

mikemako
Senior User
Jun 28, 2007, 11:22 PM

I agree with Waragainstsleep. The upgrade to twice the MB of VRAM is significant, but the real improvement will be the large 20in screen. If you can afford it, it is worth the extra money.

In response to your other question, I suggest that you buy the iMac now, and upgrade to Leopard after it has been out a few months. OS X Tiger (the current system) is fun, stable, and mature right now since it has been out over 2 years and has had a long time to be refined.

Although Leopard shows improvements (and looks even more fun), it will be brand new in October. New OSes usually take a few months to work out the bugs, so you're better off sticking with Tiger until that happens.

Another thing to keep in mind is that (according to rumor) the iMac might get an update sometime soon, so keep an eye out for that.
( Last edited by mikemako; Jun 28, 2007 at 11:33 PM. )
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2007, 05:10 AM

For those 229 you get so much more computer.

Don't even consider a 17" for design work, if you can afford a 20". And plan some additional funds for a good deal of RAM, especially with graphics software.

I recommend Crucial, and for other recommendations, search the threads.

And definitely: if you can, wait for the new designs.

And consider a used 24" iMac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules