Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > middle-click on trackpad

middle-click on trackpad
Zaurus
Aug 3, 2007, 09:15 PM

i bought a new Macbook Pro few weeks ago, i was very happy with the double-click on the trackpad to simulate right-click

but what about the middle-click? anyway to click the corner of the trackpad to simulate middle-click?

Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2007, 09:26 PM

I think there should be a 3 finger middle click... I'd use it all the time.

ibook_steve
Aug 4, 2007, 01:46 AM

What for?

Steve

concavelab
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2007, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
What for?

Steve
hehe, true ...i am trying to think why i would use it ...and nope..no idea..
-----------------
www.allmightys.com

Zaurus  (op)
Aug 4, 2007, 11:25 AM

What for?

Steve

Firefox?
---
Apple Macbook Pro 2.2GHz 15inch 2GB DDR2 RAM
LED Backlight, OSX 10.5.1 Leopard

Zaurus  (op)
Aug 4, 2007, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
I think there should be a 3 finger middle click... I'd use it all the time.
really?
it doesn't work for me
---

Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2007, 12:08 PM

No there isn't. There should be.

And for opening things in new tabs. If you're an internet user like me, you know that Safari never opens new windows in new tabs, like firefox. As a safari user, I constantly use my middle button on my mouse, and would like to do it on a track-pad.

Zaurus  (op)
Aug 4, 2007, 01:14 PM

No there isn't. There should be.

And for opening things in new tabs. If you're an internet user like me, you know that Safari never opens new windows in new tabs, like firefox. As a safari user, I constantly use my middle button on my mouse, and would like to do it on a track-pad.

anyway to get this feature?

maybe we should call Apple about it
---

Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2007, 01:36 PM

I doubt they'd want to get anything too "complicated"

concavelab
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2007, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Zaurus View Post
anyway to get this feature?

maybe we should call Apple about it
I thought Apple+click on a link does that...no?
-----------------
www.allmightys.com

Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2007, 02:03 PM

Would people please stop talking about how holding down Apple and doing something works. Yes it does. No, I don't want to use it. I want to be able to click ONE TIME to get a right click (I know, it's old news, don't yell) I want to click ONE TIME to get a new tab.I don't want to have to Apple Click on the header of a window just to see a filepath. Those thing should be one or no click things

And this is off topic, but does it bother anyone else that Apple puts a red line under "dont" but doesn't offer "don't" as a spell-check option? What do they thing I'm trying to write when I write dont?

concavelab
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2007, 02:11 PM

sorry adam ... we grew up on single button mice ..old skool
-----------------
www.allmightys.com

Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2007, 02:15 PM

I did too. Back in the System 6, 7, OS 8 and even 9 days it wasn't bad but OS X needs to stop relying on the ctrl or Apple keys.

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2007, 05:32 PM

Would people please stop talking about how holding down Apple and doing something works. Yes it does. No, I don't want to use it. I want to be able to click ONE TIME to get a right click (I know, it's old news, don't yell) I want to click ONE TIME to get a new tab.I don't want to have to Apple Click on the header of a window just to see a filepath. Those thing should be one or no click things

And this is off topic, but does it bother anyone else that Apple puts a red line under "dont" but doesn't offer "don't" as a spell-check option? What do they thing I'm trying to write when I write dont?
It's not like using apple click slows you down, it's not like a laptop track pad is extremely quick and responsive anyways. It's very simple to do one handed. Or get a mouse.

Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2007, 05:40 PM

Apple click does slow me down. I rarely use 2 hands while browsing. My mouse hand moves the mouse, and my other hand does nothing until I need to type something. I don't want to have to have my hand at the ready to click the Aple button so I can do some basic function.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2007, 06:43 PM

Do you have small hands?
I don't seem to have any trouble keeping a finger hovering near the apple button while one is on the trackpad on my 14" iBook. Don't recall struggling on a 15" PowerBook either. My PowerBook G3 was a different matter, because I'm right handed and it only had the one apple key on the left. That used to annoy the hell out of me, so I kinda know what you mean.

Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2007, 06:47 PM

I can do it, but why take your hand off the pad to click the button and the apple button if you could just drop 2 fingers. It's the same as the fact that no-one wants to ctrl click so they let you just drop one finger and voila, right click!

ibook_steve
Aug 5, 2007, 03:20 AM

Is two clicks (right click -> Open link in new tab) really that much of a hassle? I seriously doubt Apple would ever add such a gesture with such limited use. Is this something you've seen on a PC trackpad somewhere?

Steve

Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2007, 01:06 PM

No, I'm not saying its any big deal and no its never been on a PC trackpad AFAIK, but Apple did go for the 2 finger right click... and I'm only going to say this one more time. Yes, it is a hassle, with the amount of links I open in a new tab. I want to click ONCE!

Zaurus  (op)
Aug 5, 2007, 02:29 PM

Is two clicks (right click -> Open link in new tab) really that much of a hassle? I seriously doubt Apple would ever add such a gesture with such limited use. Is this something you've seen on a PC trackpad somewhere?

Steve
you can do that with a double-click on PC notebook
---

mattco72
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2007, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by concavelab View Post
I thought Apple+click on a link does that...no?
A. This made me laugh for some reason. Something stupid and so simple that I didn't know..

When you are on a laptop, what are you doing with your other hand that you can't just click the apple key and click the link? Or maybe I shouldn't ask that... hmm... probably not.

Zaurus  (op)
Aug 7, 2007, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by mattco72 View Post
A. This made me laugh for some reason. Something stupid and so simple that I didn't know..

When you are on a laptop, what are you doing with your other hand that you can't just click the apple key and click the link? Or maybe I shouldn't ask that... hmm... probably not.

sometimes i prefer only use one hand if a mouse can do it all
---

jtrwallace
Aug 8, 2007, 03:36 AM

well, as I was reading this thread, people were asking what are you doing with your other hand? well, my other hand was under my chin... not really doing anything, but, it wasn't on the laptop. I would love to have a middle click too. My middle click on my mighty mouse is for expose and if I could have a middle click on the trackpad that would be great. of course I have one of my hot corners set but it would be even easier and more customizable to have a dedicated middle click gesture on the trackpad. The only time I ever have both hands on the laptop is when I am actually typing something. Otherwise.... it's doing something else innocuous.
2.4 GHz MacBook Pro | 256 MB VRAM | 3.0 GB RAM | 160 GB 5400 RPM HDD
Airport Extreme Base Station (n) | Airport Express Base Station (g)
Bluetooth Mighty Mouse | (And an iPhone SOON *crosses fingers) GOT THE IPHONE!
iPod Nano Product (RED)

Forum Links
Forum Rules