Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Official hacking Leopard's GUI thread.

Official hacking Leopard's GUI thread. (Page 5)
Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 14, 2007, 05:30 PM

Well I've been told that the scroll bars were done, they just didn't look right or something.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2007, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Well I've been told that the scroll bars were done, they just didn't look right or something.
Somehow I don't think that would have stopped them...nothing looks quite right! Have you seen the transparent menubar yet?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 14, 2007, 10:22 PM

The scroll bars were Different in one of the previous betas. They didn't look like the raster ones exactly but, they still looked aqua.

defsquad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2007, 03:00 PM

so i know that everyone has been completely focused on making leopard more unified, and i completely appreciate this. i was wonder though, that during your resource/file searching if any of you have come across any definitive ways to change system font sizes, including for window titles and especially for the menu bar font items?

thanks again for everyone's hard work.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 17, 2007, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
Somehow I don't think that would have stopped them...nothing looks quite right! Have you seen the transparent menubar yet?
I actually like the look of the transparent menubar. Even though it's not supported on my machine. Why? It's one of the things Apple has done that has made GUI sense to me. It makes the GUI so it's not distracting. The menubar matches with ANY desktop. It's the only visual effect that Apple hasn't "supported" on my machine that I wish I now had after looking at a Mac that did. Having said that, I wont go buy a new computer over it.

BTW, is there a way to turn off that water splash effect in dashboard?
Originally Posted by TheSpaz View Post
The scroll bars were Different in one of the previous betas. They didn't look like the raster ones exactly but, they still looked aqua.
Right. Not sure why they disabled them at the last minute.
Originally Posted by defsquad View Post
so i know that everyone has been completely focused on making leopard more unified, and i completely appreciate this. i was wonder though, that during your resource/file searching if any of you have come across any definitive ways to change system font sizes, including for window titles and especially for the menu bar font items?

thanks again for everyone's hard work.
Nope.. no way that I know of. And Windows has been able to do this for how long?

OS 9 you could to a point too.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2007, 07:04 PM

Here's what the old scroll bars looked like in a previous build.

http://i.pbase.com/o6/10/781410/1/80....picture07.jpg

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 21, 2007, 07:04 PM

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /o6/10/781410/1/80845379.LXfpXJ9H.picture07.jpg on this server.

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2007, 07:11 PM

That looks weird. The rounded parts don't seem to align properly with the rest of the bar.

Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2007, 07:11 PM

I can access it, and they really don't look that different from Aqua. Just a bit blurrier.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2007, 07:14 PM

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /o6/10/781410/1/80845379.LXfpXJ9H.picture07.jpg on this server.
Apache/2.0.58 (Unix) Server at i.pbase.com Port 80

I wanna see too?!!?!!

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2007, 07:17 PM

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2007, 07:18 PM

Ugh... still not working. Here's the gallery... it's Picture 07: os_105 Photo Gallery by apacsweb at pbase.com

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2007, 07:42 PM

I don't think his hosting allows linking to the image. Copy the link and paste it into a new window.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 24, 2007, 06:21 AM

They don't look at good as the originals no. Not that the originals make made sense when it came to scroll bars.

~bash $
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2007, 01:17 PM

So the old instructions for the login panel for Tiger don't quite work, but the basic idea is the same. Look in

/System/Library/CoreServices/SecurityAgentPlugins/loginwindow.bundle/Contents/Resources/

and change the applelogo.tif to any .tif 90x90 px. Don't forget to backup your old one. Transparency helps a lot.

Taylor C
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2007, 10:23 PM

I've noticed that PPC applications such as Word don't get the new scrollbars if you replace the resource file for Intel macs only. Has anyone tried replacing the file utilized by PPC Macs as well? If so, does this fix the issue?
15" MacBook Pro - 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo - 2GB - 7200RPM 160GB HD
20" iMac - 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo - 1 GB - 250GB
8GB iPhone

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 25, 2007, 07:12 AM

Taylor... there is no new scroll bars. The scroll bars in 10.5 BOTH come from the same resources as 10.4. both the scroll bars, thumbs, and track are all from the Extras.rsrc.

The rest of the GUI for the most part, is being drawn using something else entirely. And for now, no one knows how to change these elements.

As far as Word goes. It probably uses it's OWN scroll bar resources that don't match Apple's. MS has a history of doing this. Not getting it. That is why most MS Applications for the Mac look like Java applications.

guidoctor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2007, 09:07 PM

roosta
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 25, 2007, 11:48 PM

any chance anybody knows where to find the list header files in leopard? i know there are pieces in the extras2 file but modifying them seems to do nothing. its odd the scrollbars and related parts are editable but nothing else in extras2 seems to stick when changed.

and while i'm at it, is there a way to make this:

look like this

i'm referring to the toolbar background. it's too dark for my liking and if i'm going to be using apple's idea of an attractive gui then i'd like to make it look a little less overdone..

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 26, 2007, 06:15 AM

roosta the scroll bars and scroll thumbs ect are about the ONLY thing within 10.5 you can change. It's what we've been talking about.

The rest it done by their new xml formatted GUI using their new revamped GUI tool. They might as well be hard coded in for now. As no one has figured them out.

It would be cool if Unsanity reverse engineered it and made it so you could just use Apple's built in themeing engine instead of their own on the fly RAM hacks.

But to answer your question no, there is no way to change those. This was tried about a month ago by me and swiz. That is why we gave up on the idea long ago.

Not only that, the new scroll bars thumbs don't look great in all views the Finder gives us.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 26, 2007, 06:19 AM

Don't like either one. And those dark scroll thumbs look silly in say, Text Edit and other applications.

Again, me and swiz were the two first people to change these things in 10.5. We both came to the same conclusion.

I'll just live with Leopard's clusterfudge of a GUI till Apple either releases something that lets us change it, or they themselves fix it.

It's a pretty stagnate time for themeing right now. More so than any other version of OS X.

roosta
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2007, 08:11 PM

the new scroll bars thumbs don't look great in all views the Finder gives us.
who said i'm using apple's scrollbar thumbs?

all i'm looking to do is find the files that comprise the metal windows in the various states and edit them. and i think i may have figured out a way.

wingchun
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2007, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by roosta View Post
... and i think i may have figured out a way.
don't forget to tell us if you find something

regards

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 29, 2007, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by roosta View Post
who said i'm using apple's scrollbar thumbs?
Ok, the scroll thumbs you are using wont look good to me in all window variations OS 10.5 has to offer to it's users. Better?
all i'm looking to do is find the files that comprise the metal windows in the various states and edit them. and i think i may have figured out a way.
You'll have to edit the xml files. And they are in a format that no program can read "properly" to edit as far as I know.

But if you've figured it out, you'd very well be a rich man. Until Apple legal went after ya.

I figured Apple would have made he Finder look like iTunes in 10.5. But after doing it myself (To a point) there was a lot more editing needed to be done for it to look even more messed up than original.

There are certain window states it really looks nice in. And certain ones it doesn't.

For example the thumbs stuck out in TextEdit poorly and just looked unprofessional.

I think it would be neat to be able to have two separate SHADES of the same thumb for the different GUI window options.

I am about consistency, but that wouldn't really be inconsistent.

Curiosity
Senior User
Nov 30, 2007, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by defsquad View Post
i was wonder though, that during your resource/file searching if any of you have come across any definitive ways to change system font sizes, including for window titles and especially for the menu bar font items?
Can you not change the Finder font sizes as in Tiger - from the View menu > Show view options?

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 30, 2007, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Curiosity View Post
Can you not change the Finder font sizes as in Tiger - from the View menu > Show view options?
Not for the titlebars and menus no. Those just effect folder and file names. etc.

Rawmassen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2007, 07:15 PM

Could you imagine if Apple's GUI was entirely black translucent like some of their windows are? I would LOVE IT. Cool looking, while not distracting. Ultimate usage.

http://orange.quickshareit.com/share...1copy2607b.png
Where can one obtain that folder icon set? They look excellent.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Dec 2, 2007, 09:59 PM

Ask in the screenshot thread. That is where i think I found that pic.

PimPamPet
Dec 3, 2007, 06:48 AM

@ Rawmassen:
If you talk about the black ones on the desktop, it's called: Zvend by Henri Liriani

Rawmassen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2007, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by PimPamPet View Post
@ Rawmassen:
If you talk about the black ones on the desktop, it's called: Zvend by Henri Liriani
Thank you very much PPP :¬)

cgc
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2007, 12:35 PM

Haven't read the entire thread but I just found a way to make Leopard's menubar not transparent.
sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.WindowServer 'EnvironmentVariables' -dict 'CI_NO_BACKGROUND_IMAGE' 1
If you type in the above command in the Terminal (and restart), the menubar will be bright and opaque. You can change the number (1) at the end of the command to alter the background tone. I use .5 and get a tone that matches Safari fairly closely. Got this from MacOSXHints.com.

Edit: If I had read further down the thread I linked to I'd have seen a link to Leopaque which is a program to do the same thing mentioned above.
( Last edited by cgc; Dec 9, 2007 at 01:37 PM. )

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Dec 10, 2007, 04:34 PM

Yeah it's been shown and talked about many times in here.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2007, 02:58 AM

I think a better option would to be able to adjust the menu bar transparency/opacity with a slider-type UI. Like when you're choosing colors with a color palette.
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

bstock86
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2007, 12:53 AM

I agree. I would love to just have the ability to "slide" how opaque I want my menubar. That'd be badass, therefore, it probably won't happen. Oh well.

vertigociel
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2008, 08:24 AM

So, in the past few days I've made up my own supplement to the Leopard GUI. It replaces the Aqua scrollbars and progress bars with more iTunes style ones.

Here's a few pictures:

I've thrown the Extras and Extras2 resource files into an installer package, which you can download here, if you're interested. It also comes with an "uninstaller", which just writes over the modified .rsrc files with the originals.

Please let me know what you think!
15" MacBook Pro C2D, 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Matte Display.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2008, 09:33 PM

I think you linked to a bad disc image file. At least that's what my computer says when i download it. Looks cool tho.

Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2008, 09:35 PM

I would dl it but I dont like the polkadot progress bar. Could you change that?

vertigociel
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2008, 10:45 PM

I think you linked to a bad disc image file. At least that's what my computer says when i download it. Looks cool tho.
I don't know why that warning pops up, but it does for me too, even though the installer still works fine. It won't harm your computer, promise!

I would dl it but I dont like the polkadot progress bar. Could you change that?
I might be updating it with a diamond shape, or gradient transition, but only if I can figure out how to make those optional installs in the package. I'll post here if I do.

Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2008, 11:03 PM

Couldn't you just make it stripes like the other one?

sogbrightlight
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2008, 12:20 AM

Ran the installer. Logged off. No change though.
Bla Bla Bla

vertigociel
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2008, 03:45 AM

Updated! Since the circles are really unpopular, I changed it to a gradient transition.

Preview:

Originally Posted by sogbrightlight View Post
Ran the installer. Logged off. No change though.
I've updated the installer so it should work fine. If it still doesn't, you can grab the resource files, along with some instructions for copying them manually.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2008, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by vertigociel View Post
Updated! Since the circles are really unpopular, I changed it to a gradient transition.
I've updated the installer so it should work fine. If it still doesn't, you can grab the resource files, along with some instructions for copying them manually.
Yeah I like the idea of a manual install better since you're obviously not quite a pro yet! But the second line downloads instructions for manually installing the Extras files alongside the installers, not the files. Dude. Come on.

vertigociel
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2008, 04:09 PM

Yeah I like the idea of a manual install better since you're obviously not quite a pro yet! But the second line downloads instructions for manually installing the Extras files alongside the installers, not the files. Dude. Come on.
I don't know what's going on with the installer. I've got the paths right, and the permissions, and it always works fine on my computer. I'll figure that out another time.

Sorry about the mix up with the installer files. I've re-uploaded the zip archive with the resource files.

Forum Links
Forum Rules