Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Apple service going down the drain...

Apple service going down the drain...
Veltliner
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2007, 01:47 PM

I repeatedly tried to contact apple care.

No matter when I call, weekend, weekday, the wait is "15 minutes".

It used to be 2 minutes at most.

If I combine this with the high amount of lemons apple is churning out, I wonder why I'm still paying premium prices for their computers.

Yes, lemons.

My research about my loudly humming iMac has shown, that this problem has existed for a year or more, especially with the 24" iMacs.

Did they do anything about it? No. (My iMac was one of the last 24"s produced, my serial number tells me).

Or the story with the freezing glossy iMacs.

Or the story with the glossy iMac screens, that are unevenly lighted.

If apple were a car company, they would have callback after callback.
( Last edited by Veltliner; Nov 27, 2007 at 01:54 PM. )

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2007, 02:19 PM

The freezing issue has been fixed.

I've never heard of the humming issue before your other thread, and I work at an authorized repair center.

And Apple's percentage of lemons is still, AFAIK, the lowest in the industry, and pretty much at the level it's been over the past five years or so. The *absolute* number of lemons has grown tremendously, of course, but that has to do primarily with the fact that their products are recently selling in utterly silly numbers.

The phone support issue might have to do with the fact that their products are recently selling in utterly silly numbers.

Not to lessen your apparently less-than-ideal support experience, but this stuff takes time to ramp up.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2007, 02:43 PM

Well, I hope Apple, selling computers at utterly silly numbers, will also hire customer reps at utterly silly numbers, so we won't get waiting minutes in utterly silly numbers.

Sure, the freezing has been fixed, but not the uneven lighting of the screens.

As of the humming thread, when I researched the humming, I found one on MacNN via google, and brought it to the top in the hope one of these guys who had the problem, too, would respond and tell me how they fixed it.

The thread is over half a year old and I bumped it up, and you can see it here. It's called " noise coming from my iMac screen".

I hope very much Apple is not letting standards slip with increased volume of their business.
( Last edited by Veltliner; Nov 27, 2007 at 03:08 PM. )

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2007, 01:23 PM

Considering your evidence of service and quality going down the drain includes an issue where some guy out of millions of iMac owners had a similar problem with a completely different model from the one you own - half a year ago...

Have you tried the, um, "obvious" - taking it back to the point of sale?

Because, from the thread you bumped from half a year ago, it would seem that *that* is how they fixed it?

macintologist
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2007, 02:11 PM

My iMac works perfectly and I love it.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 28, 2007, 07:20 PM

I found the uneven lighting contrast of my iMac screen only after carefully looking for it using a technique that stresses my eyes.

<boilerplate #7>People seldom post "I'm loving every minute of this new machine, and everything is completely perfect in every way" because they're enjoying their perfect computer. What gets posted is in something like 99% of cases, negative feedback only. This is NOT an indication of either a high lemon rate or massive numbers of problems affecting thousands of machines. It is an indication that users expect working, fully functional, and attractive products from Apple, which reflects WELL on Apple, not the reverse.</boilerplate>

While I agree that Apple Care needs more people on the phones, this is actually a sign that more people are adopting the Mac platform, not that Apple's customer service is flagging.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2007, 11:19 PM

Of course I set up an appointment at the apple store.

I'll see where it goes. The fact that only three or four people reported this problem, doesn't mean only three or four people out of millions of mac users experience this problem.

Because not everybody posts problems.

Posting problems is not always venting emotions, even if it looks like that from the outside. You can also point out problems, because you don't want a certain company to lower its quality standards. I can see that some people find outcries outrageous.

And many people post positive remarks on their computers, and I did so, too.

This is why I hope that the problem is fixable, as an exchange will be difficult, as the white 24" is no longer produced (and who knows if they have still some in stock for this occasion).

Ghporter, I found that little line through "lighting" refreshing. Of course it's more illumination. Or maybe there's a better word for how a screen image is produced.

Chinasaur
Senior User
Dec 1, 2007, 06:24 PM

You can't ramp tech support up at "utterly silly" rates unless you want "uttlerly incompetent" tech support. Doesn't work that way.

An old adage in Project Controls is "Throw lots of people at a late project and you just make it later..." Same goes with tech support. Who do you think would be training all those new people?

Existing tech support which would only deprive everyone of competent tech support thus making your wait time longer.
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 1, 2007, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
Ghporter, I found that little line through "lighting" refreshing. Of course it's more illumination. Or maybe there's a better word for how a screen image is produced.
I did the strikethrough because I'm not convinced that the issue is as much uneven backlight as inconsistent contrast in the LCD itself. And as "contrast" is a function of both the backlight and the LCD together, I felt that was a better term. Functionally, for me anyway, this is a non-issue. My iMac is beautiful and I get beautiful pictures on the screen.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2007, 11:01 PM

The fact that only three or four people reported this problem, doesn't mean only three or four people out of millions of mac users experience this problem.
Your logic is a little hinky here.

It also doesn't mean millions have and just haven't gotten around to complaining.

I've had both models of Intel iMacs, the white and the aluminum, and while I did have some small issue with freezing (long since fixed), that's the only problem I've had with either machine. Doesn't mean no one else has had any problems, of course, but I think ghporter's "boilerplate #7"is closer to the truth.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2007, 04:04 PM

Because not everybody posts problems.

Posting problems is not always venting emotions, even if it looks like that from the outside. You can also point out problems, because you don't want a certain company to lower its quality standards. I can see that some people find outcries outrageous.
You will find, if you deal with end users a lot, as I do, that almost nobody ever visits a support forum such as this one UNLESS they actually HAVE a problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules