Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Leopard on a 500MHz TiBook w/512MB...worth it?

Leopard on a 500MHz TiBook w/512MB...worth it?
fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2007, 02:15 PM

Worth it to try?

As I understand it, DVD Player will no longer work, Front Row doesn't run, etc. due to lack of ATI Rage Mobility support. I did upgrade the drive to 120GB.

Has anyone tried using the Tiger drivers?

Is it worth even trying this?

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2007, 03:32 PM

not worth it, unless you maxdaRam to 1.5GB or more, hack the installer to avoid the cpu speed check (easy to do, by editing a plist file) AND can somehow enable QE & CoreImage support........otherwise
fogetto'boutit.........

will it work, yea
will it be usable.....doubtful
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

OreoCookie
Nov 11, 2007, 05:28 PM

Well, no. If you don't mind to work with such an old machine, I don't think you mind sticking to Tiger either. All of the `new' features (even those introduced with 10.3) run barely or not at all.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Cold Warrior
Nov 11, 2007, 05:50 PM

don't do it

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2007, 12:10 AM

I'd say no. If this PowerBook is your primary computer, you won't want to worry about hacking the system and then breaking it with a system update. If it's not your primary computer, then it's not worth the trouble. I have a PowerBook G4/500 which plugs into my projector to play movies and TV shows. It won't run Leopard. C'est la vie. VLC still runs just fine for playing DVDs as well as files obtained from other sources. Even if it were my main computer, Mail, browsers, etc. would still do the job in Tiger.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2007, 01:56 AM

Please don't.

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2007, 01:14 PM

If its for a production machine, probably not the best idea with only 512 ram, but it will work. You will never know if it is going to work for you until you try it, so if you have the ability to backup your 10.4 install, I'd do that and give it a shot. Id' love to hear how it works for you.

I tried 10.5 on my iBook G4 1.2ghz with 512 RAM, but despite being within the specs, the installer said I did not meet the requirements. I do plan to add either another 256mb - 1gb ram to the iBook, but I do want to see what Leopard can do with only 512.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2007, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by mpancha View Post
If its for a production machine, probably not the best idea with only 512 ram, but it will work. You will never know if it is going to work for you until you try it, so if you have the ability to backup your 10.4 install, I'd do that and give it a shot. Id' love to hear how it works for you.

I tried 10.5 on my iBook G4 1.2ghz with 512 RAM, but despite being within the specs, the installer said I did not meet the requirements. I do plan to add either another 256mb - 1gb ram to the iBook, but I do want to see what Leopard can do with only 512.
That's very odd cuz, yeah, your iBook G4 1.2 with 512 MB definitely meets the specs:

* 512MB of memory
* DVD drive for installation
* 9GB of available disk space
* Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.
* Some features require Apple's .Mac service; fees apply.

Did you have enough disk space?

It installs fine with our G4 1.07 iBook, but I think I have 1 GB RAM in that one.

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 14, 2007, 12:40 PM

Eug >> that iBook has a 30 GB HD, and the only programs installed are OS X's default apps, minus all localization, printer drivers, iApps... its only purpose in life is to be a web browser on my balcony when I want to sit outside and just surf the web.

I had intended to do an erase and install seeing as how I just want a portable web browser, it took close to 15 minutes to get to past its hardware check and inform me I did not meet minimum requirements (even though technically I did meet the requirements).
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2007, 11:31 PM

I installed Leopard on my 867 MHz G4 PowerBook with no problems at all. I put 512 Mb back in it just to see how it did... it was sluggish but workable (better with 640 Mb). Also, I put Leopard on an external disk and booted my 533 MHz G4 from it with 640 Mb of RAM and a Radeon 9800 Pro. That did fairly well, was smoother than the PowerBook actually with the better graphics card.

neopolitant
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2007, 03:05 PM

mitchellg5,

how is it running leopard on your TiBook. I have a similiar setup (867MHz TiBook w/ 768MB). what say ye? after using it a while, was it worth it?

thanks!

mikemako
Senior User
Dec 8, 2007, 10:36 PM

Hi there. I'm surprised no one mentioned this yet, but your computer cannot run Leopard. It must have at least a 867MHz G4. Definitely stick with Tiger on your computer.

-Mike
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 9, 2007, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by mikemako View Post
Hi there. I'm surprised no one mentioned this yet, but your computer cannot run Leopard. It must have at least a 867MHz G4. Definitely stick with Tiger on your computer.
Lots of machines that "cannot" run Leopard actually can.
Unsupported Leopard Installation

freudling
Banned
Dec 9, 2007, 03:19 AM

Hi:

Forget the posters telling you it won't work, or not to do it. I have a 400 mhz Tibook with 1 GB RAM running Leopard (max the RAM, don't think twice about not doing it), and it runs fairly well. Of course, with no graphics support, iWork 08 does not work well, and coverflow is sluggish. However, the internet is great, mail works, most everything works. Do it.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2007, 05:56 AM

The Leopard installer will not install Leopard on a 500mhz G4 Mac. It refers you to the System requirements and quits.

freudling
Banned
Dec 9, 2007, 03:54 PM

Firewire Target Disk Mode.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 9, 2007, 05:02 PM

You can also use open firmware to temporarily fool the installer into thinking your machine meets the requirements. (For those that don't have a leopard capable machine to use the firewire option.)

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2007, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by neopolitant View Post
mitchellg5,

how is it running leopard on your TiBook. I have a similiar setup (867MHz TiBook w/ 768MB). what say ye? after using it a while, was it worth it?

thanks!
It's worth it I think. The speed difference between Tiger and Leopard is negligible. Time Machine was quite sluggish as well as an animation effects, but overall, not bad for a minimum spec machine.

neopolitant
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2007, 11:38 AM

imitchellg5 and others, thanks for the response. i'm gonna do the upgrade this week. i've got leopard on an old firewire ipod and plan to mount it for installation. do i need to update a plist or what not as people have recommended. any advice or heads-up is appreciated. otherwise, i'll let you know how it goes...

thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules