Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > 5G 80GB iPod will not charge - please help

5G 80GB iPod will not charge - please help
dpicardi
Forum Regular
May 15, 2008, 11:33 AM

Yesterday my ipod died. It appears I ran my battery down to the point that when you connect it to the computer it gives you the dead battery picture. It should however within 30 minutes be recognized by the computer after it has gotten enough of a charge...but no dice.

When I connect it to the wall charger it shows within a matter of minutes that it is fully charged. I disconnect it and begin to play a song and within a matter of seconds I get the "no battery charge left" message and the ipod dies.

Prior to this I was getting several hours of play time on my ipod so I don't think the battery all of a sudden lost it's ability to charge.

I've also tried resetting the ipod by pushing down the menu and the center button...no change.

As I sit here and type this my ipod is connected to my computer and is cycling up and down between the no battery charge icon and the black screen white Apple logo.

I have tried different cables so I don't think that is the problem.

I'm at a loss here.

I'm going to try to charge it with the wall charger and then plug it into my computer and see if I can't get it to either keep charging or reformat the ipod...but if that does not work...I'm stumped.

Any and All help would be appreciated.

Dave

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2008, 11:44 AM

It sounds like the battery died. It happens.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

dpicardi  (op)
Forum Regular
May 15, 2008, 12:07 PM

Really Big Mac? After only 2 years of use? Is this other people's opinion. Is this what a dead battery exhibits?

That rubs the wrong way...

Well I was able to get it connected to my computer by quickly transferring it after using the wall charger. It then went on to show that it was fully charged after syncing with my computer. So I did a restore...

Don't think it is going to have any effect however as during the restore the battery died...I now have it plugged into the wall charger...

dpicardi  (op)
Forum Regular
May 28, 2008, 06:16 PM

Ok...it was the battery.

Got a replacement from ifixit.com for $19 including shipping and it is as good as new.

Phew! I really did not want to buy another ipod...this one need to last until the 64GB iPhone...then I can have "1 iPod to rule them all..."

Forum Links
Forum Rules