Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > HDD replacement in 2007 white macbook

HDD replacement in 2007 white macbook
dpicardi
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2010, 12:38 PM

Would love some advice/input in the following.

I'm replacing the HDD in my wife's white macbook (currently 80GB with 320GB) because she is running out of space and, as importantly, has been having random issues that I think are software related. Therefore, I want to do a clean install on the new HDD rather than a time machine restore of the old system. My questions are as follows:

1. I have the Snow Leopard OSX Family pack. Do I have to install the original OS that came with the machine before I install SL?Does that original disk have laptop specific files/things that a generic OS disk wouldn't have?

2. In order to maximize my time (I'm still waiting for some memory upgrades as well) I thought about installing SL on the new HDD before I actually install it into the laptop so that when I do install it we are ready to roll. Is there any danger/downside to doing so? Any additional advice you might have for me knowing what I'm trying to accomplish?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Dave

P
Dec 8, 2010, 12:49 PM

1. You can install Snow Leopard directly. Any machine-specific files are integrated into the next main release, so if the white Macbook came with something less than 10.6, 10.6 has all you need.

2. If you install from the same computer but onto an external drive (USB or Firewire, even target disk mode should work), I can't see that there is any difference at all. Installing on another Intel Mac that came with something less than 10.6 originally should also be fine. Anything other than that and I'd be wary.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2010, 03:51 PM

P is correct, but if you are only waiting for memory upgrades you can go ahead and install the drive anyway. Unless you just want to avoid opening it twice, but its only 3 screws to get into memory and HDD bay.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

dpicardi  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2010, 08:00 PM

Thanks for both of your replies.

Yes, I'd rather not have to open it up twice...also, I was planning to install the OS on the HDD from my mac pro so as to minimize the time the laptop is non-operational.

Forum Links
Forum Rules