Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > MS Office 2011 update 14.1.3 has problems

MS Office 2011 update 14.1.3 has problems
pyrdek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2011, 02:48 PM

I have run into a bunch of problems trying to install Microsoft's latest update to Office 2011 "Office 2011 14.1.3 Update. The systems I am trying to update are all at 10.6.8 and Office 2011 14.1.2.

It does not matter if I try to install the update (downloaded from Mactopia) by using the "Install" function of Apple Remote Desktop, or download it direct via Office's Software update, or if I have it downloaded and transferred to client computer via the campus Ethernet. In the past I could always download any Office 2011 or 2009 update from Mactopia and simply install via ARD. A restart may or may not cause a change in the way the problems presents itself.

This latest update, no matter the distribution method used, more often than not results in the install starting but then terminating with the message that it can not find any software on the volume that "A version of the software required to install this update can not be found on this volume." That happens even when I have Word open and use the check for update function right from the Word program. This is on a number of different OS 10.6.8 systems, both desktop and laptop. However, ONCE IN A GREAT NUMBER of tries, the software will install the update.

I had a couple of systems that were still at 14.1.(0) and I installed 14.1.2 using the same method as I always do and there were no problems.

I had a couple of systems at 14.1.1 and I then upgraded, via ARD to 14.1.2 and then immediately to 14.1.3 with no problem. This was either aa a separate install for each or when I did both updates going in on the same install. Again no problem.

Then I tried some systems that have been in use and are at 14.1.2 and tried the ARD method to install 14.1.3. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM FAILED!

It seems that as soon as you actually use Office 14.1.2 it "pollutes" something that prevents 14.1.3 from installing. I have no idea of what it might be.

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2011, 07:38 PM

I just updated my Office 14.1.0 to 14.1.3 and it works perfectly. I've heard of folks having trouble if they don't have a legit copy...I actually got my Norton 2009 (Windows version) blacklisted even though I bought it from Amazon.com and that prevented me from updating...same thing goes for Office for Mac.

ChrisF
Senior User
Sep 14, 2011, 08:51 PM

I have had no trouble with updates so far, but haven't sent the updates out to all of my lab computers yet. Any chance you have a Bootcamp or other external drives attached? If so, try ejecting those then running the updater.

pyrdek  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2011, 09:38 PM

Copy is legit. This is a medium size university with MS site license.

The computers that do not respond are both faculty systems which may have an external HD (running Time Machine) and lab systems that do not have any external HD.

The systems that I took up to 14.1.2 and then immediately to 14.1.3 had no problem. The problem is in systems that have been at 14.1.2 for some time and then were being updated to 14.1.3

pyrdek  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2011, 02:18 PM

Additional information:

I uninstalled Office 2011 using the Microsoft recommended file removal route. This includes not only removing Office 2011 from the Applications folder but also Sharepoint files from the Library/Internet Plugins folder, and the com.microsoft.office.licensinghelper.plist from the Launch Daemon folder and the com.microsoft.office.licensing.plist file from the Preferences folder and the com.licensing.office.licensing.helper file from the Privileged HelperTools folder. (note: some of the exact file names might not be absolutely correct but if you open the folders listed you can see the files I am referencing.)

Obviously Microsoft left out something else that has to be removed!

When I re-installed Office 2011 (from disk) it installed but it did NOT show the setup assistant file as it normally does on a clean install. Then, after it installed, and opened normally, Microsoft AutoUpdate showed that it needed the Office 2011 14.1.0 update. This is what I would expect BUT when it came to install the update, it gave the same error as the 14.1.3 update did at the beginning of this thread. Namely it told me that it could not find the software needed to install the update.

It sure looks like Microsoft screwed up BIG TIME when it put this latest update out and that they do not even know all the things that have to be removed to allow a good clean install of Office 2011.

dechy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2011, 02:36 PM

Hi all,
I had the same problem and I fix it with parcifist, CharlesSoft - software you always wished someone would write
open the update with parcifist and install at the original place.

Cheers Ralf

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2011, 08:23 AM

FWIW: I was having font problems after the initial install of Office 11. So when I reinstalled Office 11, I went the Custom Install route, thus forgoing Messenger, Remote Desktop, Visual Basic, Proofing Tools (except English), MS Document Connection, and Office Fonts.

This occurred about 45 days ago, and so far, no Font Book issues or other problems for that matter.
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

cow_duo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2011, 12:10 AM

Every single week, Microsoft Update says, "Critical Update!" Every single update, the installation fails, with a ludicrous "contact the software manufacturer for assistance" message. Is this you Microsoft ?? Are you truly this staggeringly incompetent? Do you really want to put yourself below the service level of the US post office. No wonder Apple and Google have eaten your lunch every day for the past ten years. Do you not bother to test your updates? Ever ? At all ? Is there anybody who actually WORKS at Microsoft anymore? No wonder Bill bailed. Hopeless. Hopeless. Hopeless.

Current MAC OX X 10.6.8 on iMac. 27" Clean install. Current Office 2011.

microsoft_mouthbreather
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2011, 09:55 PM

Is this you Microsoft ??

yes! i'm a microsoft certified mouthbreather!

Are you truly this staggeringly incompetent?

well... yes! but what's your point?

Do you really want to put yourself below the service level of the US post office

ah -- that's probably optimistic, don't you think?

No wonder Apple and Google have eaten your lunch every day for the past ten years.

judging from my fat pants, i'm not so sure about that...

Do you not bother to test your updates?

that's what customers are for.... duh!

Is there anybody who actually WORKS at Microsoft anymore?

mouthbreathers work lots, cow_duo -- we just don't accomplish anything!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2011, 01:46 AM

haha, hilarious

lfalbo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2011, 11:58 AM

cgc
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2011, 01:44 PM

I don't like MS Office but the 2011 release works much better in OSX than ever before. The funny thing is, I resort sometimes to running Office 2007 in Windows Vista Business 32-bit via Parallels 7 and it is much faster than the native OSX app. WTF?

MrNo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2011, 03:46 PM

could it be that you are trying to install the update while a faculty user is logged on?
i've had updates fail if the user has a network account.

theo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2012, 08:11 AM

I tried Pacifist but don't understand what it does. I tried everything. When I opened the update i got a long list but didn't understand if I could use anyone of those files or whatever to use for install. Also don't understand what you mean by "install at the original place" (unless you mean the customary Application folder where my Office version 14.1.2 is located, but that goes without saying). Anyway, I never even did get close to installing anything. And in case ehere I used th original MS Install Update program, I got the message (as with others) that "a version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume." How very frustrating. Any help out there?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2012, 08:12 AM

Try the 14.2.4 update, the latest?

Forum Links
Forum Rules