Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New 700-1gHz G3 + Pismo = Upgrade?

New 700-1gHz G3 + Pismo = Upgrade?
weinmatt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2001, 01:02 AM

Anybody hear anything about this?

I'm just wondering, I've got my Pismo and I'm stuck with it for a while... though I never have speed problems (yet), even in 10.0.4 (yea 768 megs of RAM, really helps), I'm sure I will someday. A 1gHz overall doubling in speed wouldn't be so bad, eh? Plus it would give new life to what I think is the best enclosure EVER for any notebook. (TiBook, too wide, too thin/iBook too small... Pismo=perfect).

Where are you Powerlogix and Sonnet!

Matt

pasha
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2001, 03:46 AM

Though I would seriously consider a faster G3 processor upgrade for my Pismo, I'd much rather have a G4 altivec upgrade..

I really like the Pismo and it's expansion capabilities, something that the definitely cool & thin G4 lacks.. along with good airport reception...

ANYWAY, I am going to be keeping this machine a long time as well, and want a G4 for it. (Heck.. maybe we can wait for a G5....) I've been searching far and wide and the only thing I came up with was an article on AppleInsider.com stating that XLR8 was looking into such a thing, but that was posted back in late 1999.

-Pasha

weinmatt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2001, 01:28 AM

Sure, I'd take a G4 anyday, and I think I pointed out, people talk about heat too much. The original Wallstreet ran at 78C and being that the pismo is similar i'd assume that it would have no problem in that department.

The question is are we going to get one... the new G3's might be a little more appealing, and apparently they are AltiVec happy so who knows...

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2001, 11:34 AM

I won't scream, but to tell you the truth, this is about the fifth post about this subject in the past month.

As I said time and time again, all you have to do is keep pestering upgrade companies to make a CPU upgrade for the Pismo. They need to know there is demand for an upgrade because they don't want to give the go-ahead on a production run only to find that the Pismo owners would rather get G4's and not buy the CPU upgrades. Their business is a risky one.

DNA man
Senior User
Nov 8, 2001, 02:47 PM

Why not wait for the G5 upgrade chip

Max8319
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2001, 05:47 PM

i'm waiting for a ghz g3.......then i'll upgrade

Forum Links
Forum Rules