Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > No Sound Ipod

No Sound Ipod (Page 8)
issy51
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2012, 10:42 AM

took it out of freezer sound lasted 30 minutes......

issy51
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2012, 10:43 AM

lasted 30 mins then went off

Trey Monroe Music
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2012, 01:07 AM

issy51,

see my post from a couple posts before yours. I'm telling you, it works! got a free 160GB replacement out of it. follow exact instructions.

hope this helps,

- Trey

PG1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2012, 11:34 AM

Had a similar thing happen to my 5th generation 80Gb iPod (purchased June 2007). Called support in Braga, Portugal as it turns out (I'm in Luxembourg) and spoke to a Senior Advisor and she advised that she was not at liberty to make a decision on this, but referred me to a Customer Care Center in Cork, Ireland.

Couldn't call them or e-mail them; I have had to snail-mail them! Can you believe that? Snail-mail to Apple.....I thought I'd seen it all. Anyway, explained the issue as per multiple posts in this forum, reiterated the fact that it is not wear-and-tear but a manufacturing issue and that with pressure applied on the bottom-right it produced some sound, be it with a lot of static.and that Apple has replaced units for a large number of clients and that they're aware of the issue. etc etc.

I sincerely hope that the reward for actually, physically writing and posting a letter is a free of charge replacement!

I'll keep you all posted on the progress.

snowconesandwich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2012, 07:52 AM

Anything happen yet? or did it get lost in the mail?

faithnomore
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2012, 04:51 AM

Am owner of 5 year old i pod classic 5th generation - the 'no sound - special edition' model.
After two visits to Apple stores and two visits to Apple approved repairers, conversations with Apple care supervisors, e mails etc etc the final result from Apple 'care' - (who clearly don't) was they had ceased all spares and repairs for this model and that despite all my representations, my best option was to buy a new one. I couldn't even pay them to repair it.
They did offer me a free shuffle due to them giving me conflicting advice - hence the wasted trips as per above - but that doesn't really help.
Tried all the magic words as per the other posts - but they were not budging. Its 5 years old, you can't expect it to last forever and we don't want to mend it.

Jabien
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2012, 04:23 PM

Alright so here is me experience today:
The "no sound" thing just happened to me yesterday and got so frustrated!
I came across this thead and was relieved that I might have found the solution. But indeed like you guys mentioned, the key is to speak to a "Costumer relations person"
First call I made I was directed only to a technicien supervisor (after refusing paying $29.99 of course). And he just got my frustration going bigger and bigger, asking me where did I found such information about deficiency of the ipod. He was telling me that there were no costumer relations person to talk to and that there was no-one higher than him to grant me permission to ship it back to apple. So needless to say that this guy got me real angry and I told him, that I understand if the battery gets weak after a few years or if the screen doesn't lit anymore but denying this problem got me mad. (he got the nerve to tell me that I shouldn't expect my ipod to last forever and that it was too old and they don't make that model anymore. (seriously! I don't care...if I send something to any store for whatever product - even for a sauce pan or whatever...-, they will replace it or give me a newer model if not available anymore for the same value)
Everytime he finally aknowledge facts I refered to, he was asking where i got the information. I told him that this what not acceptable, he kept denying,, I called him a lier and that I still want to speak to a costumer relations person....and he is actually the one who hung up on me after I told him that after considering buying an ipad i might just go with the kindle. So just wasted almost 2 hours of my time and got me SO frustrated!
So in brief, he was just an ***hole.
I took a couple of minute to calm down and called again once I got my nice tone back (kind of). Ended speaking to an "Alex" who was very friendly and nice and happily transfer me to an actual "Costumer Relations Person" (Weird right!.....I thought these people did not exist according to the ***hole supervisor).
I got put on hold for a little bit which was okay, then was granted the famous Repair ID to go to UPS to send my Ipod back for either repair or swap.

Not sure how everything will end but hopefully I can get a new Ipod (even if it's just a repair and don't really care as long as I can listen to my Ipod again). And as mentioned above by others, it really will depend who will take your call and if they can transfer you directly to the right person. If they don't, I would suggest to simply hang up and try again otherwise they will got to your nerves and you'll spend at least 45 minutes for nothing.

I am glad I ended up speaking to the right person because otherwise apple would have lost a lot of repect from me.

I'll keep you all posted on what I will receive back from them.

Best of luck to other ones that are in the same case than me and everyone here.

JuJu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2012, 04:51 PM

Well, to my surprise putting the ipod in the freezer for approximately 5 minutes made it work. It only lasted for a few minutes, however, this is the first time my ipod has worked in over a year! At this point I am going to do as the others have. I will open it and look for the lose connection. I don't have anything to lose at this point. I have been without my great collection too long!!!

cgc
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2012, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by drakunis View Post
Ok, to make things more bizarre, it works now. I have no idea why, or how long it will last, can anyone help?

-- Ok, so on a whim I put the Ipod in front of my cars A/C vent and when it got cold it started playing like nothing was wrong, but when it warmed back up the music stopped. If the other people with this problem wanna try getting it cold it would be interesting to see the results. It could be a manufacturer defect.
I've experienced a similar problem w/ my iPod nano (1st gen) but it was in my hot truck in Virginia summer so it was HOT (my fault). Not a design issue but operator error IMO. Don't leave VHS tapes in your car either...not a design error, cars get hot.

Forum Links
Forum Rules