Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Study finds Android overtaking Apple's iPad in tablet segment

Study finds Android overtaking Apple's iPad in tablet segment
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 28, 2013, 06:48 PM

Tablets running Google's Android operating system have overtaken those running Apple's iOS in terms of shipped devices, according to new figures from ABI Research. ABI finds that, during the second quarter of 2013, Android-powered tablets also approached Apple's iPad in terms of total revenue per unit. The Android platform's success in the tablet market is likely an outgrowth of the increasing popularity of devices manufactured by Apple's chief rival, Samsung.

ABI found that overall tablet shipments dropped 17 percent sequentially, but they grew 23 percent year-over-year. The study also found that seven-inch tablets now make up the majority of tablet shipments. ABI measured the iPad mini at 60 percent of Apple's total iPad shipments, and 49 percent of iPad-related device revenues for the quarter.

That latter figure represents a shift in the tablet market and in Apple's fortunes. The smaller iPad mini, while still sold at a premium price point, pulls in less revenue for Apple per unit. Apple's average selling price (ASP) for tablets, ABI found, is rapidly approaching the market average, dropping 17 percent, while the rest of the market's ASP rose 17 percent.

Apple continues to dominate the tablet market, which was stagnant before the introduction of the iPad. The past year, though, has seen Apple's market share in the tablet segment continuing to decline in terms of shipments, even though the company still appears to have significantly higher sell-through to end users, and makes by far the most money off of the segment.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Oct 1, 2013 at 02:11 AM. )

LenE
Sep 28, 2013, 07:54 PM

This doesn't square with various web-usage statistics or the collective anecdotal sampling of most people here who pay attention to this sort of thing. Perhaps this is a global study and counts the mysterious India and China markets flooded with white-box tablets? There has to be an enormous population buying these things, and not surfing the web with them, for this study to be even slightly credible.

Seriously, I know quite a few of my acquaintances who jumped at getting Kindle Fires or Nexus 7's last Christmas. I don't know any of them who still use any of those devices. What would the catalyst be for a big Android gain now, except for decreased demand for iPads by people who are waiting for the next generation to be released?

billmboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2013, 08:22 PM

This is what they say on there home page.
"Why ABI?
Objective
Unbiased status as a privately held enterprise allows us to "call it how we see it.""
or who paid them for there research.
"Tablets running Google's Android operating system have overtaken those running Apple's iOS in terms of shipped devices, according to new figures from ABI Research?"

Apple deals in sold units, not shipped.

Everyone I know who owns an Android device ask's me "how can I do _________ {Fill in the blank)" I tell them, "Get an iPad" Computer illiterate people should stay away from Android......

As LenE wrote "Seriously, I know quite a few of my acquaintances who jumped at getting Kindle Fires or Nexus 7's last Christmas. I don't know any of them who still use any of those devices."
All the people I've helped set up there Android device, only two still use it and one is my wifes Nook Tablet for reading books.

How do these research firms make any money?

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2013, 02:02 AM

This story is true ... if you believe that shipped = sold to end users. Taking a look at actual usage stats (ad results, developer returns, Internet usage and so forth) ... I remain skeptical of reports like this.

That's not to say Android tablets aren't finding a little niche ... but even if I believed these figures, what percentage do you think dedicated e-readers make up of those "shipments"? Or forked Chinese Android that has no connection to Google?
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Saint_Stryfe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2013, 10:39 AM

If it's anything like my store, it's we're 10 Samsung tablets sold - because their 199$+ ones are sitting here while the 99-149$ tablets sell.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2013, 03:00 PM

At those prices, I have no doubt quite a few are getting sold. But usage stats tell the story ... they aren't being used (well, not on that Internet thing, anyway).
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

JohnD
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2013, 05:16 PM

Samsung is giving away tablets in any way they can. Buy a Samsung TV and get a tablet for free..

revco
Sep 29, 2013, 09:55 PM

I really like Apple's tablet hardware. But it was because of iOS7 and iTunes 11 that I chose to jump ship and by a Nexus 7 (2013). Android definitely has a "designed by engineers" feel to it but I can customise the hell out of it. I'm loving it.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2013, 11:07 PM

revco, cool story. Have fun customizing because everyone else will be actually "using" their iPads to surf the web, read and write email, write documents and run games/apps that are not available on android.

When you get bored with your "customizing", you can wait in line for the iPad 5.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

wrenchy
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2013, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by aristotles View Post
Have fun customizing because everyone else will be actually "using" their iPads to surf the web, read and write email, write documents and run games/apps that are not available on android.

When you get bored with your "customizing", you can wait in line for the iPad 5.
Oh aristotles, as the kids say these days... You sound "butthurt". Once the Apple hype has worn off, many do not see the Apple Tax as being a good enough reason to pay the extra when you can have better for less. iOS7 is Android 2 years ago. Apple is too busy playing catch-up and everyone knows it. It happened with phones, it will happen with tablets. The numbers don't lie. Accept it.

markbyrn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2013, 12:32 PM

Even if the 'study' is true, it's like saying that all models of Ford, Chrysler, and GM cars outsell the Mercedes-Benz SL-Class and the Mercedes-Benz E-Class models. Let's try comparing one to one sales.

Forum Links
Forum Rules