Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 5500/275 no fan?

5500/275 no fan?
Mutant
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2002, 04:45 PM

I've got a 603e based 5500/275 PowerMac (black man!) and the CPU fan just died with a huge banging sound!

I popped the box open, and can remove the fan to verify it is indeed the little blower that is causing the problem, but my query is this -

would it be ok to run the 5500 without the fan? I'll leave the heat sink over the CPU in place, but remove or disconnect the fans power?

I'd rather not spend the money if at all possible. This is not my primary Mac, and in fact I use it solely to run a QuickCam that looks out over my backyard at night.

Any ideas?
TiBook (400Mhz, 256MB, 30GB, Airport) / iMac 350 (350Mhz, 384MB, 4B, AIrport) / iMac DV+ (450Mhz, 320MB, 20GB, Airport) / PowerMac 5500/275 (64MB, 20GB) / Mac TV / Mac SE / iPod (5GB) / iPaq 3850 / Sony AIBO (just for fun)

finboy
May 29, 2002, 01:14 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Mutant:
<strong>I've got a 603e based 5500/275 PowerMac (black man!) and the CPU fan just died with a huge banging sound!

I popped the box open, and can remove the fan to verify it is indeed the little blower that is causing the problem, but my query is this -

would it be ok to run the 5500 without the fan? I'll leave the heat sink over the CPU in place, but remove or disconnect the fans power?

I'd rather not spend the money if at all possible. This is not my primary Mac, and in fact I use it solely to run a QuickCam that looks out over my backyard at night.

Any ideas?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">You can probably get a replacement fan (or one that might fit) at an electronics supply house, or maybe even someplace like Radio Shack. At a minimum, you should get a 120VAC powered fan and a wall cord and hook something up to blow through the case near where the original fan was. Actually, pulling through the case might be more effective. There's a lot of heat in there -- you need something to cool it off.

<small>[ 05-29-2002, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: finboy ]</small>

saxman
May 30, 2002, 11:34 PM

Hi there

I ran my 5500 (603ev) for ages with no CPU fan without any problem. If you take the PCI slot cover off the back of the mac then the main fan will pull cool air through the back, over the chip and out the top of the case past the CRT. If you have a PCI card in the slot then you should definitely replace the fan.

Eventually under advice from these forums I did replace the fan with some generic PC fan I got from an electronics shop for $5. ( I put a PCI card in and started to do some pretty heavy audio work) Make sure it is the right voltage.

If you are doing work that is not too processor intensive then you should be OK for a while at least. The heatsink is very effective, remember Apple are geniuses at heat dissapation..........

Good luck
Scotty
NZ

Classic 4/40
LC575 36/330
PB 5300c 64/750
PB 1400c 32/1GB
PM 5500/250 AIO 128/4 "blackmac"
iMac original G3 233 288/6
Power Mac G4 400 768/10+18
iMac G5 2.0 17" 1GB/180GB

I told my Dad that I wanted to be a musician when I grew up, and he said "Son, you can't have it both ways."

Forum Links
Forum Rules