Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > OSX DVD -36 error?

OSX DVD -36 error?
Mutant
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2002, 02:19 PM

First, I'll mention that I have upgraded to DVD Player 3.1.1.

It seems a lot of the newer DVD's that I rent crash DVD player after an indeterminable, and apparently random of time.

I've duplicated the problem both before and after upgrading DVD Player, and last night I got the same error, but JUST HAD TO FINISH watching a movie, so on a lark I rebooted into OS 9 where it played quite nicely.

Any tips? I'd surely like to use OSX for *everything* (I even synch my iPaq under VPC and it works fine, Avantgo and all!), but it seems from now on I'm watching DVD's under 9, and X the rest. PIA really.

I've tried everything that might even be remotely related (quitting all non-essential apps, loggging out and logging in before playing) and even rebooting (as an old Unix hand I'm of the opinion that none of this should be necessary with a properly implemented kernel and I was actually sorta glad that this fixed nothing), but no joy.

Some DVD's still crash DVD player under X, but the same DVD's work fine in 9.

FWIW, I've duplicated this problem on a Rev A TiBook, as well as a Sage iMac DVD+.
TiBook (400Mhz, 256MB, 30GB, Airport) / iMac 350 (350Mhz, 384MB, 4B, AIrport) / iMac DV+ (450Mhz, 320MB, 20GB, Airport) / PowerMac 5500/275 (64MB, 20GB) / Mac TV / Mac SE / iPod (5GB) / iPaq 3850 / Sony AIBO (just for fun)

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2002, 02:34 PM

The only DVD problem I have ever had after the upgrade to 3.1.1 is that it just won't launch when you are using the "Graphite aqua" theme. If this is the case just try going back to the default aqua colors and launch DVD player again.

I hope this helps you out.

MarcusL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2002, 11:33 AM

Hi,

I have the same problems with the dvd X player... That is for all versions: Right in the middle of the film, DVD Player stops working and says goodbye with error -36. As you said the same dvds run flawlessly in OS 9. Dont know what it is, but I have seen this problem on a cube450/768 and a TiBook550/768. Strange behaviour and I cannot kill classic unless I go and get an external dvd player.

hope problems are going to be fixed in future releases.

Marcus

dj247046
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2002, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by MarcusL:
<STRONG>Hi,

I have the same problems with the dvd X player... That is for all versions: Right in the middle of the film, DVD Player stops working and says goodbye with error -36. As you said the same dvds run flawlessly in OS 9. Dont know what it is, but I have seen this problem on a cube450/768 and a TiBook550/768. Strange behaviour and I cannot kill classic unless I go and get an external dvd player.

hope problems are going to be fixed in future releases.

Marcus</STRONG>
I have the same problem on my Pismo 400 with 384mb RAM. In about the middle of the movie it freezes and I have to force quit DVD Player 3.11. This has only occurred since I upgraded to 3.11, so I'm going to try to find v3.1 and see if it still happens.
12" Powerbook/1.5GHz/768MB RAM/60GB HD/Combo
OS 10.4.1

Forum Links
Forum Rules