Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iMac vs eMac (dammit apple)

iMac vs eMac (dammit apple)
Ca$h68
Banned
Apr 29, 2002, 01:49 PM

K. They have the same processor and horribly driver'd video card, the same HD, and the same o/s.

Hrm. My mom still needs a computer, but I was kinda hoping to push her towards the iMac with the superdrive so I can burn some DVDs. Think they'll put a superdrive in an eMac? I'm digging that vast 17" screen.

- Ca$h

el lindo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2002, 01:55 PM

It doesn't make a difference; the emac is for education only. Unless you are a school, you can't buy it.

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2002, 01:55 PM

The screen size is about the same 15 inc LCD <-> 17 inch CRT. But you get more desktop space / real estate with the CRt because it can do 1280 resolution, as opposed to 1024 on the iMac LCD.

Ca$h68  (op)
Banned
Apr 29, 2002, 02:08 PM

Mi madre es la teacher.

- ca$h

mr_sonicblue
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2002, 02:10 PM

So if cash has an opinion, a new thread must always be opened? Is that how it works? News to me...

Ca$h68  (op)
Banned
Apr 29, 2002, 02:31 PM

Or more like I dont have an opinion on which one is better so I'm asking for other people's opinions........

- Ca$h

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2002, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by mr_sonicblue:
<STRONG>So if cash has an opinion, a new thread must always be opened? Is that how it works? News to me...</STRONG>
Hey someone seems to like him as he has been banned a million times and someone at MacNN keeps kissing his *** .

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

mr_sonicblue
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2002, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by Ca$h68:
<STRONG>Or more like I dont have an opinion on which one is better so I'm asking for other people's opinions........</STRONG>
Doh, sorry. I completely misunderstood your post.

Has anyone actually seen one of these things in person? They don't offer education purchasing at the physical stores, so I wouldn't think they would display them there.

agentz
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2002, 02:38 PM

If I had the cash and I was buying the machine for use in my house I think I'd choose the iMac, I don't honestly think I'd need the extra screen real estate (geez, I'm mostly using an old iBook at 800x600 just now!), it'd take up far less room in an already crowded place, I'm sure it generates less heat, and well, it looks so cool.

Don't think the Superdrive will be an option in the eMac, but who knows, especially as the damn machine came right out of the blue anyway...
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

ringo
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2002, 02:42 PM

RE: Superdrive...Kind of related question:

Has anyone heard plans of there being an Apple-friendly external DVD-R drive? I'm mostly on portables lately and would like to be able to burn DVD on the go. Anyone?

palmberg
Senior User
Apr 29, 2002, 02:48 PM

<STRONG>Mi madre es la teacher.

- ca$h</STRONG>
Clearly, she's not a Spanish teacher.
I keep the Bible in a pool of blood so that none of its words can affect me.

Ca$h68  (op)
Banned
Apr 29, 2002, 02:49 PM

I know that the superdrive is a regular pioneer drive, so if you can find a firewire case for a cd drive Im prettty sure that would work.

- Ca$h

Ca$h68  (op)
Banned
Apr 29, 2002, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by palmberg:
<STRONG>

Clearly, she's not a Spanish teacher.</STRONG>
Nope. I took 2 years of spanish and sucked at it.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2002, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by el lindo:
<STRONG>It doesn't make a difference; the emac is for education only. Unless you are a school, you can't buy it.</STRONG>
if you log into the apple education store as a student you can buy it. you dont have to be a school. you just have to GO to school.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2002, 03:16 PM

why couldnt they just put a CDROM in the low end iMac and sell it for $999 ????? This just cripples the product line again. Apple needs to stick to the strategy of 2 Pro machines and 2 Consumer machines(i believe this model will be thought in text books five years from now), but apple keeps cluttering the product line so much, first with the cube, and now this.

Here is what they need to do..... get rid of the old iMacs(15" CRTs), focus on Consumers and Professionals, and then have a complete iteration of the education line with both a portable and a desktop (for institutions). Maybe having them with only CDROMS since most institutions dont want ppl watching DVDs.

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2002, 03:22 PM

<STRONG>I know that the superdrive is a regular pioneer drive, so if you can find a firewire case for a cd drive Im prettty sure that would work.

- Ca$h</STRONG>
iDVD will not work with an external drive. DVD Studio Pro will.

Anyway, the eMac might be a good choice, but other than bad design what does it offer that the iMac doesn't at the same price point?

The resolution doesn't make sense. I always run a 17" CRT at 1280x1024. Apple always manages to find a non-standard bastard resolution...

If money is an issue, go for the low end iMac. If not, go for the high-end iMac.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2002, 03:28 PM

<STRONG>I know that the superdrive is a regular pioneer drive, so if you can find a firewire case for a cd drive Im prettty sure that would work.

- Ca$h</STRONG>
There was a hack a while ago in the OSX - General area about getting DVD features to work on non-supported Macs. I would go for the eMac for the higher resolution. OSX is a Desktop realestate pig.
weird wabbit

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2002, 04:01 PM

I would go with the eMac because I don't need a SuperDrive, and If I configure the eMac the same way I configure the iMac, I save $200 and gain 2" when I get the eMac. (And being a college student I actually can buy one.)

TheJoshu
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2002, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by el lindo:
<STRONG>It doesn't make a difference; the emac is for education only. Unless you are a school, you can't buy it.</STRONG>
Seriously, all you need to know is the name and address of a school, and have the ability/will/desire to lie.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2002, 06:32 PM

I know I wouldn't have though about it at first but there is a lot to be said for the ability to move the screen where you want it to be. If only the iMac offered a 17" LCD or at least a higher rez until such a time I will just have to get a high end tower
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Apr 29, 2002, 06:33 PM

Belongs in the forum formerly known as iMac. Moving...
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Forum Links
Forum Rules