Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > So how does this work?

So how does this work?
Mutant
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2002, 03:22 PM

Hey

I've got three Macs running 10.2; a G4 Cube, an iMac DV+ and a TiBook.

All three have Airport cards, and I've got a white ABS upstairs in my flat, which provides 'Net coverage throughout.

Anyway, the TiBook is a Rev A, meaning the Airport reception just ain't that good; frequently I have problems getting a decent signal when I use it upstairs, maybe 15' from the ABS.

So today I just happened to notice that the TiBook upstairs in my bedroom can see the other two Macs, even though they are downstairs at the other end of the flat.

Now I'm not complaining - its great! But how does it work? Are all three boxes talking directly, or going through the ABS? I suspect the latter since the TiBook has lousy reception, but I'm not sure and thought I'd post this query.

Does anyone have an idea?

Man, the more I use 10.2 the more I just love it! I'm even begining to feel guilty for purchasing a single copy, and installing on on three Macs. Might just buy another copy or two.....nice job Apple!
TiBook (400Mhz, 256MB, 30GB, Airport) / iMac 350 (350Mhz, 384MB, 4B, AIrport) / iMac DV+ (450Mhz, 320MB, 20GB, Airport) / PowerMac 5500/275 (64MB, 20GB) / Mac TV / Mac SE / iPod (5GB) / iPaq 3850 / Sony AIBO (just for fun)

Vash
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2002, 09:12 PM

I'm pretty sure all the macs go through the ABS, the only way to make them direct is to create a network from the airport menubar.
Revenge is a meal best served cold.

Forum Links
Forum Rules