Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Just bought a new iMac and a few peripherals...

Just bought a new iMac and a few peripherals...
dennett
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2005, 10:15 PM

Just got back from a major splurge at the local Apple store. Picked up a standard config 20" iMac, 20g iPod, Canon Pixma 6000, MS Office, .Mac, and Applecare for the iMac. I really wanted to take advantage all the current offers before they ran out. As a teacher it was all a great deal, $179 rebate on the iPod, $100 on the printer, $50 on Office, and $30 off our .Mac renewal, not to mention the teacher discounts We now have four macs in the house, and couldn't be happier!

On a side note, I couldn't believe the crowds around the new iPod Nanos, they were selling them as fast as they could get them out. They kept telling people that the black ones were gone, but every so often they'd sell a black one, it was a bit strange. Not sure how they decided who got black, but they were being rather selective.

ghettochild
Sep 11, 2005, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by dennett
Just got back from a major splurge at the local Apple store. Picked up a standard config 20" iMac, 20g iPod, Canon Pixma 6000, MS Office, .Mac, and Applecare for the iMac. I really wanted to take advantage all the current offers before they ran out. As a teacher it was all a great deal, $179 rebate on the iPod, $100 on the printer, $50 on Office, and $30 off our .Mac renewal, not to mention the teacher discounts We now have four macs in the house, and couldn't be happier!
lol, this is why they make us poor students pay these outrageous tuition fees, so that they can pay you guys a nice salary.

j/k.
17" PB G4 1.67GHz DL

Commodus
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2005, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by ghettochild
lol, this is why they make us poor students pay these outrageous tuition fees, so that they can pay you guys a nice salary.

j/k.
Even being a grad student, I can imagine profs being very thankful for any good pay rates they get!
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

fleaplus
Sep 11, 2005, 02:18 AM

I was down at the Apple Store Cherry Creek in Denver today exchanging the iBook I bought last week for an iMac. There were quite a few people checking out the nano's, but it seemed like the other models were getting just as much attention (and they moved the store around now, the ipods take up almost one side of the store now!)

This iMac G5 is awesome. Its the first G5 I have had, and at 1.8ghz its easily the fastest Mac I have ever owned. Up until now the switch to intel had kind of made sense to me. Now it seems dissapointing because the next iMac is almost guaranteed to be running a Celeron + integrated graphics solution.
MacBook Pro (Mid 2007), 2.4Ghz, 2GB DDR2-667Mhz, 160GB, Superdrive, Nvidia Geforce 8600M GT w/256MB, 15.4" WXGA+ LCD

jaydon34
Senior User
Sep 11, 2005, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by fleaplus
Now it seems dissapointing because the next iMac is almost guaranteed to be running a Celeron + integrated graphics solution.
I kinda doubt that as well as hope not. Celeron = trash
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

dennett  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2005, 03:02 PM

We're loving the new equipment so far, although we haven't even taken the printer out of its box yet. We're also experiencing some issues in transferring our huge iphoto library from our Ti PB to the new iMac. I'd like to upgrade the base 512 ram, where can I get the best current ram prices? Also what would the pros and cons be of buying a 1gig chip vs another 512 chip? I'd really appreciate any input on this decision.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 11, 2005, 03:06 PM

j/k.
Teachers should be so lucky! Most college profs aren't paid much. (And let's not even talk about grade school teachers...)

I would love to know where all my tuition money goes. I could practically afford one-on-one tutelage for the cost of this in-state tuition at a public university... :sigh:

tooki

dennett  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2005, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
Teachers should be so lucky! Most college profs aren't paid much. (And let's not even talk about grade school teachers...)

tooki
I'm an elementary school teacher, so this truly was a major purchase for us!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 11, 2005, 08:16 PM

Yeah. In this country, we show such great appreciation for one of the pillars of society... :sigh:

tooki

ghettochild
Sep 12, 2005, 06:03 AM

I'd like to upgrade the base 512 ram, where can I get the best current ram prices? Also what would the pros and cons be of buying a 1gig chip vs another 512 chip? I'd really appreciate any input on this decision.
I don't own an imac but will order one next week. From what I've read in dozens of threads about RAM, ppl. seem to get their sticks from Crucial , NewEgg , and MacSales , to name just a few.

as far as the RAM capacity is concerned, I guess that would largely depend on what you plan on doing w/ the machine (e.g., RAM intensive taks like video editing, etc.). I remember having read a thread here or on some other forum in which a user said that he had maxed out his G5 imac 2.0 GHZ w/ 2 GB RAM and his buddy who has the same machine upgraded to 1 GB. he stated that in normal usage he could not note any difference in speed between the 2 machines.

keep in mind, that's just what I've read.
17" PB G4 1.67GHz DL

PBG4 User
Senior User
Sep 12, 2005, 09:05 AM

On a side note, I couldn't believe the crowds around the new iPod Nanos, they were selling them as fast as they could get them out. They kept telling people that the black ones were gone, but every so often they'd sell a black one, it was a bit strange. Not sure how they decided who got black, but they were being rather selective.
They could've had 2GB black nanos, but not 4GB ones. It seems the 4GB model is the hot seller in this bunch.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

dennett  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2005, 09:35 AM

I don't own an imac but will order one next week. From what I've read in dozens of threads about RAM, ppl. seem to get their sticks from Crucial , NewEgg , and MacSales , to name just a few.

as far as the RAM capacity is concerned, I guess that would largely depend on what you plan on doing w/ the machine (e.g., RAM intensive taks like video editing, etc.). I remember having read a thread here or on some other forum in which a user said that he had maxed out his G5 imac 2.0 GHZ w/ 2 GB RAM and his buddy who has the same machine upgraded to 1 GB. he stated that in normal usage he could not note any difference in speed between the 2 machines.

keep in mind, that's just what I've read.
Thanks! I seem to remember hearing something about having matched RAM chips improves performance, is that true? If so then going with the stock 512 chip and adding a 1 gig chip would be a mistake, or would I be better off having 1.5 total??

fleaplus
Sep 12, 2005, 06:13 PM

If you can afford it, shoot for 2GB or 1.5GB for now and an additional 1GB later. My friend had a 512mb Patriot brand DDR400 stick sitting around, so I put it into my iMac. Somehow OSX has _still_ managed to find a use for all 1GB of memory since Page ins/outs sits at 33000/500 as I sit here. Apparently the iApps + a few games like halo ut2004 and bf1942 are enough to take up that ram..

As far as I know, the iMac doesn't take advantage of dual-channel ddr. even if it did, the performance increase on the PC side is only a matter of 0.5%. Certainly less advantageous than having a larger quantity of ram.
MacBook Pro (Mid 2007), 2.4Ghz, 2GB DDR2-667Mhz, 160GB, Superdrive, Nvidia Geforce 8600M GT w/256MB, 15.4" WXGA+ LCD

dennett  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2005, 07:51 PM

Cool, thanks! I think I'll add a 1gb chip for 1.5gb total...

PBG4 User
Senior User
Sep 13, 2005, 02:45 PM

The whole iMac G5 RAM matching stick advantage is that if you have 2 sticks of matched RAM you get 2 64bit busses, one to and one fro. If you have unmatched sticks then you only get one 64 bit buss, working both to and fro. The gains from this have been questionable, with some benchmarks showing up to a 38% memory system performance increase while other benchmarks show no increase at all.

In the end having enough RAM is more important then having matched RAM. If you're paging to disk you're running 100,000 times slower then if everything was in RAM.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

manofsteel300
Sep 17, 2005, 04:00 PM

I bought an ibook, ipod, and printer as well.

How did you go about the rebates and UPC codes. Which rebate did you send them to? did you make photo copies?
DOS Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq, Tandy, and millions of others are by far the most popular, with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans, on the other hand, may note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans, and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -- New York Times, November 26, 1991

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2005, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by manofsteel300
Name one nice thing about Windows? It doesn't just crash, it displays a dialog box and lets you press 'OK' first.

Your mouse has moved. Windows NT must be restarted for the change to take effect. Reboot now? [ OK ]

DOS Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq, Tandy, and millions of others are by far the most popular, with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans, on the other hand, may note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans, and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -- New York Times, November 26, 1991
Is that your sig? Way too big!

dennett  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2005, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by manofsteel300
I bought an ibook, ipod, and printer as well.

How did you go about the rebates and UPC codes. Which rebate did you send them to? did you make photo copies?
When we bought everything they gave us 4 original receipts. The $50 Office rebate only needed a receipt, but the $179 iPod and $100 printer rebates both want the original UPC from the computer box. We called the info number and asked about it, they said to send the UPC with the iPod rebate and to make a photocopy of it for the printer rebate. We were in the Apple store this weekend, and they told us to do the same thing, in fact they said if you read the fine print on the printer rebate form that it says a photcopy is alright, but I didn't actually do it yet. I'll be putting everything in the mail today.

Forum Links
Forum Rules