Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook sound issues

iBook sound issues
manofsteel300
Sep 20, 2005, 10:50 PM

My iBook is brand new.. maybe 1 week old.

I am having a strange issue with the sound output. In normal use when i hit the keyboard volume adjustment keys it takes a good second and a half to register that i hit it. Then the bezel will display and only then will i hear the volume adjustment, sometimes with a small crackle sound. If i continue to adjust the sound.. it works consistently as one would expect. Now if i wait 20 seconds and try and adjust the volume again, the issue repeats itself. It takes the ibook a good second to register that i pressed the key, another second for the bezel to display and only then will i hear the sound (after it makes a small crackle). It does not make a difference if i use the keyboard volume adjustment keys or if i adjust the volume with the mouse.

This only seems to occur when i change the volume on the ibook, if i play a song in itunes there is no delay or cracking noise.

Otherwise the ibook is functioning perfectly.
DOS Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq, Tandy, and millions of others are by far the most popular, with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans, on the other hand, may note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans, and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -- New York Times, November 26, 1991

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2005, 11:22 PM

send it in for service. that's wack.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 21, 2005, 11:18 AM

I think it's just lag in the OS.
Mine does it too and it's a 1.2ghz iBook G4.

krx
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2005, 12:35 PM

That crackle sound is what I'd be worrying about.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 21, 2005, 01:06 PM

It's not really a crackle just a garbled sound IMO.
Mail also has the garbled sound/no sound problem.

IMO purely software problems, not hardware.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2005, 07:52 PM

I noticed it on my 12-inch iBook (1.33Ghz) as well. It happens when I woke it up from sleep mode.

manofsteel300  (op)
Sep 22, 2005, 01:26 AM

the thing is i haven't seen this on any other machine made by apple.. ever. including a 5 year old g3 400 pismo
DOS Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq, Tandy, and millions of others are by far the most popular, with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans, on the other hand, may note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans, and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -- New York Times, November 26, 1991

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2005, 10:32 PM

send
it
in,
man...
it's still under warranty, you have nothing to lose.
the stock models now, with their default specs, are fast enough so you shouldn't get any lag. apple mucked up somewhere with your ibuq.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

Pao|o
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2005, 11:38 AM

I'm also experiencing this exact same problem with my 12" iBook 1.33GHz w/ 1.5GB of RAM. I just rebooted my iBook and it still experiences this problem.

Pao|o
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2005, 11:40 AM

I tried adjusting the sound again with VLC running and the problem dissappears.

Pao|o
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2005, 11:43 AM

I tried adjusting the sound again with VLC running and the problem dissappears. After quiting VLC the problem returns... this bites dirt... grrr

Harry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2005, 10:45 AM

I filed a bugreport about this problem to Apple.

I need to know if more people (ibook owners) have this problem.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Turn off all interface sounds from OSX, including the volume adjusting bleep.
2. Restart OSX
3. When the computer is restarted do not do anything, wait untill the computer has loaded everything (do not preload anything, just Finder), so wait for about 30-50 seconds.
4. After that you have to adjust the volume either via the menubar or the volumebuttons
5. Now you will hear the sound everytime you adjust the volume, you will hear this sound untill you play a sound or music or whatever, after you play a sound you will have to wait another minute or so to hear this popping sound again.

remember, you must do this test without the laptop being connected to the poweradapter!

I think the problem has to do with the soundsystem being unloaded, the ugly sideaffect of this is that there is a garbled/popping/cracking sound when you adjust the volume. The soundsystem is loaded whenever you play a sound or something, the soundsystem also gets loaded when you open up the soundpreferences. So if you have the soundpreferences open or you have connected the laptop to the power you will not hear this sound.

if you have this problem, post it here, with your OSX version.

marriedmyibook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2005, 01:20 PM

hi, I got my ibook 14'' just a month ago and it is until now that I am experiencing the same
problem. there is this digitalized sound when moving the mouse also, and the delayed on
the sound of turning up the volume some times. but not always this happens.
hmmm!... have the feeling that it is the OS.

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2005, 11:16 PM

I've never had this issue with my iBook 12" 1.07ghz. Sure I get a laggy response to the keyboard sometimes when changing volume if the system is doing lots of other things, but I put that down to me not having a lot of ram and only 400mb HD space free
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

Sveen
Oct 29, 2005, 11:09 AM

The same 'problem' occurs on my iBook too. I think the loudspeakers are turned off to save power. That could explain why the lag and the crackle don't occur if you hit the button the second time right after the first time but not if you wait some 20 seconds.

Harry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2005, 12:14 PM

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Apple still has not commented on my bugreport. At least we know now that this happens with all new iBooks, and that we should not worry about this.

What we should do about this, is report it to Apple as many of us possible, this is something that can be fixed, let's hope Apple fixes this.

marriedmyibook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2005, 04:28 PM

yeah, it is very anoying! this almost "digitalized" noise happens sometimes... I came
up with various theories...but not sure what is... it comes from one speaker, that I know...
I am thinking about just taking it in for a check up...won't loose anything!
it is a bit dissapointing that a brand new (very expensive) computer gives problems, even though
I am generally happy with it. But apple should be faster in responding to their obviously faithful
clients... hmm! maybe that is the thing, they are taking us for granted!
anyway... all for now!

marriedmyibook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2005, 04:29 PM

yeah, it is very anoying! this almost "digitalized" noise happens sometimes... I came
up with various theories...but not sure what is... it comes from one speaker, that I know...
I am thinking about just taking it in for a check up...won't loose anything!
it is a bit dissapointing that a brand new (very expensive) computer gives problems, even though
I am generally happy with it. But apple should be faster in responding to their obviously faithful
clients... hmm! maybe that is the thing, they are taking us for granted!
anyway... all for now!

Forum Links
Forum Rules