Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Zif Upgrade on a G3 Beige Desktop

Zif Upgrade on a G3 Beige Desktop
deaconMPG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2001, 04:50 PM

Has any one added a IBM 500/250/1MB ZIF Processor - Copper to a Beige G3/266mhz desktop and had success. It is on sale at http://www.macselect.com/ for $279

One fellow on the post added it to a G3 BW I am curious as to the Beige desktop models

Matt

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2001, 06:25 PM

It *should* work just fine, although some rearranging of the jumpers will be needed.

I'd recommend having a look through the CPU upgrade database at xlr8yourmac: xlr8yourmac
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

cshuman
Aug 11, 2001, 12:26 AM

That is so cool. I started some other threads along this same line with little response, so I am glad to see someone else wanting to do the same thing.

Maybe together we can figure out how to do this. I found a place at xlr8 that has jumper settings for beige motherboard. Maybe it can be done that way.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2001, 12:37 AM

I bought a 450mhz ZIF from OtherWorld about 18 months ago for my beige desktop....worked just fine and they included the jumper settings chart. As long as you follow the simple instructions it's an easy upgrade....and most of the chips can be overclocked a bit higher than rated....my 450 is at 466 now and probably will do 500 just fine.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

cshuman
Aug 11, 2001, 12:38 AM

Macselect's website says that they send all the jumpers and instructions needed to do the installation.

They also say it can be overclocked to 600Mhz! Saaaweeet.

<Mad_Hatter>
Aug 11, 2001, 10:05 AM

Yes, xlr8yourmac.com has a searchable database (CPU Upgrades) so you can see 1000's of entries (Beige, cpu upgrade type, etc) and problems, whether they upgraded, how stable.

I bought xlr8 G4/500 and annoyed/ticked that it won't �C to 550 even! on my b&w.

Forum Links
Forum Rules