Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Morpheus For Mac!

Morpheus For Mac!
electroJerm
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2001, 05:12 AM

Morpheus for Mac? Will we ever see such a thing? In the napster days, there were a number of napster clones being developed, (Macster and Rapster are most notable) and Napster in the final days actually rebranded Macster as its own. Yes yes... there's gnutella clones for the mac and there's Aimster for the mac... I know I know... but lets face it, Morpheous is just plain better (and PLEASE lets not turn this into a copyright / property rights debate). I'm just curious if others out there have heard anything or if there's more people like me who want Morpheous coming to the Mac. Oh, BTW: I already wrote an email to MusicCity.com (makers of Morpheous) regarding this... haven't gotten a response. On a side note: If it was possible for an idependant mac developer to clone the Morpheous network PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make it a carbon app (I'm using 10.1 close to 97% of the time now).
My name is Jeremy Cogan, and my thoughts are here: JeremyCogan.com

Avenir
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2001, 02:24 AM

well, there is the mac audiogalaxy client (search versiontracker.com for "macsat") and for now, that's enough for me... when their servers aren't overloaded that is

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2001, 03:46 PM

So true....I too wish there were a Morpheus for the Mac. Running it out of virtual PC is for the birds.

pete.z
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2001, 05:49 AM

Rumour goes that Kazaa will release a Mac version in November/December.I'm on the mailinglist,I will post it whenever it happens.
Btw,did you tried Limewire 1.7? It finally works good on a Mac!
MOSTLY HARMLESS

http://www.macfreak.nl

electroJerm  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2001, 04:48 PM

Apparently Kazaa is based on Fast Track P2P technology (the same system morpheous uses)... and from the look of its screen shots, the app looks like a direct clone of the Morpheous app. So sad that they have released a linux client before a MacOS X client. HELLO PEOPLE: Apple is the WORLD'S LARGEST distributor of unix based products (OS X). Oh well, I can't expect all companies to follow my logic

I looked all over the site and didn't find the mailing list... oh well.

And one more thing... if Kazaa is based on licenced technology from Fast Track, couldn't some brave Mac programmer out there write up a port for the mac (if for some reason Kazaa sucks) ?

Feature request in any new media sharing app: Integrate the Quicktime API so you can have one click preview access of any of the files you are downloading (aka WMP integration into Window's based P2P programs). Anyone who says this is a waste of time or will make the app ugly can just ignor it... for developers the API's are there so its no big deal... and for the rest of us, its kinda convenient.
My name is Jeremy Cogan, and my thoughts are here: JeremyCogan.com

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 17, 2001, 09:42 PM

Morpheus/KaZaZ/Grokster all operate on the Fasttrack network. You can share files between kazaa and morpheus i know and perhaps grokster as well. For a while there was an option for mac os x users called giFT which was an opensource project (check sourceforge.net) which allowed you to access the network from a web browser using the giFT daemon, but last time i checked 1.3.3 of morpheus/kazaa broke giFT, but they were working on "maybe" breaking the new encyrption and if that wasn't possible starting a new completely open source network based on the same supernode principle that fasttrack that they were calling OpenFT. Looks promising and we'll have definite access to that network once they get it started since it will be fully opensource. This may be the next phase as it looks like the RIAA is after Fasttrack. Damn those !%#@^&&

Forum Links
Forum Rules