Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Gmail not workin with SAFARI

Gmail not workin with SAFARI
brontobyte.1024
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2005, 07:16 AM

Hey all,
I have 2 small problems. Can sum1 help?

1. my Gmail account was workin fine with safari until one fine morning when suddenly the page gmail.com did not open at all. Its still not opening gmail for me. I cleared the cookies and emptied the cache also. But Safari is still not working for gmail.com.

2. theres this site called http://www.manupatra.com which uses JAVA. This is also not opening with Safari. I have a lot of work to be done on this site, but I am helpless now. I hav the latest version of Safari downloaded from http://www.apple.com.

Plz suggest me any rescues!!
Thanx!!

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 15, 2005, 12:56 PM

Works just fine here..

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 15, 2005, 03:23 PM

a friend and I BOTH have problems with this... mine are only periodic, I'm not sure if his are or not. Quick fix is to use Firefox to check your gmail... that's what I do if it is being finicky. I don't know any way to get it to work... I usually just use something else, then I'll try gmail again forgetting it doesn't work, and it'll work... for a while. Very strange... but yeah, it might be a Java problem, I hadn't thought of that. I don't know if gmail uses Java much, but is sure looks that way to me.

brontobyte.1024  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2005, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by Turnpike:
a friend and I BOTH have problems with this... mine are only periodic, I'm not sure if his are or not. Quick fix is to use Firefox to check your gmail... that's what I do if it is being finicky. I don't know any way to get it to work... I usually just use something else, then I'll try gmail again forgetting it doesn't work, and it'll work... for a while. Very strange... but yeah, it might be a Java problem, I hadn't thought of that. I don't know if gmail uses Java much, but is sure looks that way to me.
Yeah, i dnt know what has happened, but almost after 2 weeks or so my Gmail is workin fine with SAFARI.

But the problem still remains with http://www.manupatra.com. This site is givin me problems when i use it with SAFARI. but things r worst here with me. Neither is this site openin with IE MAC nor FIREFOX MAC. This site is great on my desktop, and other browsers that come for WINDOWS!!

I cant understand this sort of an uncertainty.

Apple Inc. should do sumthing.
There are atleast half a dozen of my friends facing this problem.

Sumbody can help??
Helloooo?

Ludovic Hirlimann
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2005, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by brontobyte.1024:
Yeah, i dnt know what has happened, but almost after 2 weeks or so my Gmail is workin fine with SAFARI.

But the problem still remains with http://www.manupatra.com. This site is givin me problems when i use it with SAFARI. but things r worst here with me. Neither is this site openin with IE MAC nor FIREFOX MAC. This site is great on my desktop, and other browsers that come for WINDOWS!!

I cant understand this sort of an uncertainty.

Apple Inc. should do sumthing.
There are atleast half a dozen of my friends facing this problem.

Sumbody can help??
Helloooo?

Mail the webmasters of that site telling them you can't access it from within mac os. They are the ones that need to fix things.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2005, 12:52 PM

gmail has stopped working for me too

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 17, 2005, 01:23 PM

Gmail is working fine for me.

I can load manupatra.com's front page, but I'm not logged in, and I don't know the nature of the problems you're having.

tooki

eatinwokout
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2005, 02:58 PM

both those sites loaded fine for me in safari. i don't usually use safari. now that i think about it. of all the times that i have used safari to check gmail it has worked flawlessly.

i recommend firefox though. guaranteed that both those sites will load in firefox.

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2005, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by eatinwokout:
guaranteed that both those sites will load in firefox.
might want to take back that guarantee, 'cause a few posts ago the OP already said this is not true.

Is everything in your system up-to-date? particularly Safari and Java

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2005, 01:59 AM

I use mail.app for my gmail. It's more convenient for me that way.

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2005, 06:58 AM

Originally posted by demograph68:
I use mail.app for my gmail. It's more convenient for me that way.
What's the point of using Gmail then?

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2005, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by nooon:
I dunno, 1 GB of free email space perhaps?

genevish
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2005, 10:26 AM

Mail.app is just a client application to read email. GMail is an email service provider. The poster has an account on GMail which he reads with Mail.app. They're two different, yet related, things.

The benefit is you can have all your email from multiple email accounts available in one application.
Scott Genevish
scott AT genevish DOT org

cambro
Senior User
Jan 18, 2005, 10:40 AM

Gmail works only sporadically with Safari.

When you get the "loading" graphic and nothing happens, try refreshing several times.

Sometimes that does it. Sometimes not.

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2005, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by cybergoober:
I dunno, 1 GB of free email space perhaps?
Originally posted by genevish:
Mail.app is just a client application to read email. GMail is an email service provider. The poster has an account on GMail which he reads with Mail.app. They're two different, yet related, things.
Yeah, but since Gmail doesn't support IMAP yet, Mail.app has to download the mail to your own harddrive for you to read it. Thus making the 1GB storage obsolete.

genevish
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2005, 03:56 PM

Yeah, but since Gmail doesn't support IMAP yet, Mail.app has to download the mail to your own harddrive for you to read it. Thus making the 1GB storage obsolete.
Obsolete how? You still have 1 gig of mail storage...
Scott Genevish
scott AT genevish DOT org

Hoosier_1701
Jan 18, 2005, 05:18 PM

You can set Mail.app to leave a copy of your email on the server indefinitely. That way, you have the messages available locally in Mail.app and on Gmail through the web interface. Granted, this isn't as good as IMAP, but I imagine it is good enough for some.

brutal
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 19, 2005, 07:02 AM

Well, I don't see the point in storing my mail two places, so I'll stick with the web-interface until Gmail starts supporting IMAP.

brontobyte.1024  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2005, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by Turnpike:
might want to take back that guarantee, 'cause a few posts ago the OP already said this is not true.

Is everything in your system up-to-date? particularly Safari and Java
Yeah thats wat i am also willing to find out.
I dont know if SAFARI anf JAVA are workin fine on my iBook?
My system is upto date. If u r talkin about the Software update, yes i have done that many a times. It says affirmitive.

All other sites hav been workin fine with SAFARI till now atleast.
About the JAVA problem, i am a bit suspicious.

Is there any site on the net, where i can download and then run JAVA for SAFARI, or for the computer itself?

Like for Windows u have ths facility, and one can goto SUN microsystems, and download JAVA 1.4.2.1 sdk.

brontobyte.1024  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2005, 08:38 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
Gmail is working fine for me.

I can load manupatra.com's front page, but I'm not logged in, and I don't know the nature of the problems you're having.

tooki
Exactly the thing.
I am not talkin about the front page of http://www.manupatra.com.
I am referring to the logged-in page of this site which heavily relies on JAVA.

Its a paid site, and I dont think I am allowed to release the password.
I know that will make things difficult, but......

Anyways, JAVA is certainly not workin for SAFARI.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2005, 01:19 PM

Gmail does work in Safari, with a periodic minor hiccup. If you get the red "loading" graphic on the top right hand side and it fails to load, go to the location (URL) field, click on it and then press return. That's all that needs to be done. This is a mildly annoying issue and nothing more.

Some other opinions about this thread:
1. brutal is correct - using Gmail with POP really does not make a whole lot of sense - Gmail should be offering IMAP rather than POP. If the purpose of Gmail is to store and manage a large amount of mail, then POP makes no sense.

2. Neither Java nor Safari are acronyms, so they should not be in all caps.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

brontobyte.1024  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2005, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by Big Mac:

2. Neither Java nor Safari are acronyms, so they should not be in all caps. [/B]
Hahahahahahahahahahaha!! dont mind Big Mac, but i agree Safari and Java are not acronyms, but in his thread, I wanted to emphasise on these two things, and making something all caps takes your attention, and almost tells you the importance of almost everything without much being said.

No offence dear friend, but it was just a way of saying something, nothing more.

But yes, I do agree solely to what u said above.

ashtoash
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2005, 07:27 PM

Did any of you download and install Safari 1.3 dp5 or any beta or developer previews? Gmail support is broken with these builds.

brontobyte.1024  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2005, 06:06 AM

Originally posted by ashtoash:
Did any of you download and install Safari 1.3 dp5 or any beta or developer previews? Gmail support is broken with these builds.
Hey, i am seriously interested in knowing what is Safari 1.3dp5?

And what exactly are you pointing out whn u say broken with these builds?

brutal
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2005, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by brontobyte.1024:
Hey, i am seriously interested in knowing what is Safari 1.3dp5?

And what exactly are you pointing out whn u say broken with these builds?
Safari 1.3dp5 is the Safari 1.3 Developer Preview 5 that was seeded to developers back in November.
This particular build is the fastest browser I've EVER tried, but Gmail didn't work in it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules