Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9.0 and GV 56K Combo PC Card?

OS 9.0 and GV 56K Combo PC Card?
oeyvind
Senior User
Oct 15, 1999, 08:56 AM

Has anyoe managed to get the GV 56K Combo PC Card working? I'm still using MacOS 8.6 on this PB2400c/240/G3 because I can't upgrade yet without Ethernet!!...=(

agrey
Oct 15, 1999, 11:27 AM

It does work. I just started using mine in a 1400 with a G3 board in it. I'd been using it on a phone hookup for years but the network hookup took a while.
I went to GVs website and downloaded the 3.2 update and then the 3.6 update(must be loaded sequentially).
I had recently upgraded my GV card to the new ROM and to .90 version and eventually found that the old preferences were causing my inability to connect to the network.
Once I had the right setting and preferences loaded the card worked fine.
Good luck.

MSylvester
Oct 27, 1999, 06:14 PM

I have used the GV K56flex PC card modem with my PB3400c for at least a year without problem, but upon upgrading to Mac OS 9 I ran into an incompatibility. At first I could not use the modem software at all without the Finder crashing, but after trashing the modem pref file, I found that the modem is stable as long as the GV PC Card control panel is not installed in the Control Panels folder. I have not tried to open it outside the folder as I have no need to access it. The only problem is that without the control panel installed, there is no graphic in the menu bar showing me the modem's activity. I can live with this until the software is updated, which I hope is in the works.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 1999, 06:51 PM

OT/PPP strip will display modem activity for free, it's a control strip module: http://home.ici.net/%7Edjw/software/...p1.0.5.sit.hqx

small consolation for GV software that won't work, I know...

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 10-27-1999).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules