Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Wow!

Wow! (Page 3)
Thread Tools
Zimphire
Baninated
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Moon
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 01:30 AM
 
Originally posted by Adam Betts:
No, I mean the "I prefer to install it manually instead of using any theme changer software" part. That's pretty dangerous and time-consuming

Takes me a few minutes, I don't have to run any third party software. And it's never messed up my machine.

I used to swap themes 10 to 20x a day just messing with my own

If $20 is what it takes to ensure system stability and include fail-safe protection then I'm all up for it
I've never had a problem. If you know how to do it, there SHOULDN'T BE a problem.
     
Zimphire
Baninated
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Moon
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 01:31 AM
 
Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Have you tried guiKitty?
Cool

First I have heard of it.

I have no complaints. So using this, you will be able to manually install the themes without SS.
     
Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North Hollywood, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 01:42 AM
 
Originally posted by Zimphire:

Takes me a few minutes, I don't have to run any third party software. And it's never messed up my machine.

I used to swap themes 10 to 20x a day just messing with my own


I've never had a problem. If you know how to do it, there SHOULDN'T BE a problem. [/B]
Yeah but it'll take forever to change every group such as app skins, menu extras, etc.

I just want something that can do it all instantaneously so I can focus on something else.
     
Zimphire
Baninated
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Moon
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 01:45 AM
 
Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Yeah but it'll take forever to change every group such as app skins, menu extras, etc.

I just want something that can do it all instantaneously so I can focus on something else.
Eh, I don't mind manually doing it. It only really takes a few minutes.

And this way, I can just install what I want.
     
llee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Aug 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 03:33 AM
 
Originally posted by Zimphire:
Eh, I don't mind manually doing it. It only really takes a few minutes.

And this way, I can just install what I want.
I'm with YOU!

llee
     
dru
Senior User
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 06:26 AM
 
Originally posted by kwyjiboy:
In the pre-Shapeshifter era, I have had themes hose my system beyond repair. However, I have never had Shapeshifter crash on me, and definitely never render my machine unbootable. That's enough for me to choose Shapeshifter and never look back.
Pff. I never had any trouble with Duality or ThemeChanger but that's me. I even replaced the Extras file by hand once. BFD.

With the ShapeShifter 1.0, the UI was awful and the Finder got caught in an infinite crash/restart loop. That's why I trashed it. And because I wasted time trying it I'm somehow forbidden from ever trying it out again. Ridiculous. Some have compared it to Kaleidoscope which requested registration (and I did, was even one of Greg's testers) but Kaleidoscope never ever prevented you from trying it later when there was a new release. That is the kind of narrow-minded, myopic and outright moronic policy that makes me sorry I supported Unsanity's other products with registrations. We just had a QuickTime/iTunes update which initial reports suggested APE & ShapeShifter caused havok with the iTunes Music Store if you've been reading the MacNN front page. As memory-based hack ShapeShifter, and APE, will never ever be as reliable as replacing the Extras.rsrc file with a non-corrupt yet modified version.

It's ThemePark, not SS, which has made theming more accessible. And ThemePark can export .DLTA. If you don't use a SS specific feature in a theme, why not just release a .DLTA (and .guikit) thanks to ThemePark? Hmm? Unless you're somehow getting a kick back from Unsanity for pimping ShapeShafter, there's no rationale.

Not everyone wants wild and crazy, cornea-scorching themes. Some really do just want well crafted AQUA modifications. If that wasn't so, would Max's AQUA Extreme series (only theme I use with Panther since Milk, Rhapsodized and Gershwix are SS only now) be such a huge success?

I detest the lock-in that was thrust upon theme users by Unsanity, and hand-picked themers through the super secret beta process. I detest being prevented from ever retesting this product before purchase. What kind of sane policy is that? I had themes that worked perfectly before SS and suddenly updates weren't unavailable just because of Panther. Seems to me code could've been created to make the Jaguar to Panther transition almost automated not unlike what Apple demonstrated with its own Kaleidoscope to Allegro Theme converter at one WWDC. This could and probably should be part of a ThemePark update.

There are many, many efforts to create a universe theme format. It's tacky that Unsanity eschewed all those efforts for their proprietary theme format.

As a skilled Kaleidoscope schemer and Windowblinds skinner, as well as a registered owner of most other Unsanity products (Silk, WindowShade X, Mighty Mouse & XSounds), I can't support SS under the current policies and acrimonious climate. Some of you give new meaning to the term zealot.

It speaks ill of the community that any reasonable decension is met with inflamatory and bogus retorts.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)
     
Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North Hollywood, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 10:28 AM
 
Originally posted by dru:
It speaks ill of the community that any reasonable decension is met with inflamatory and bogus retorts.
Your inability of accepting other people's opinions shows how unfair and close-minded you are.

Not to be asshole or anything but you need to grow up a bit.
     
Zimphire
Baninated
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Moon
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 11:36 AM
 
I have no problem with SS now that I see they have offered a way to "unstuff" their file. They have given you a way to use SS files without having to actually buy SS.

This would be like MS giving you a option to open Word file in other applications.

Now If SS gives themers a way to modify themes in a way that OS X alone wont let them, then good on SS. They have provided a feature that OS X alone cannot or wont provide.

I see no problem here.

Seems as if the SS people have gone out of their way to make everyone happy.
     
Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North Hollywood, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 12:59 PM
 
Originally posted by Zimphire:
I have no problem with SS now that I see they have offered a way to "unstuff" their file. They have given you a way to use SS files without having to actually buy SS.

This would be like MS giving you a option to open Word file in other applications.

Now If SS gives themers a way to modify themes in a way that OS X alone wont let them, then good on SS. They have provided a feature that OS X alone cannot or wont provide.

I see no problem here.

Seems as if the SS people have gone out of their way to make everyone happy.
Agreed
     
llee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Aug 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 02:00 PM
 
Originally posted by Zimphire:

Seems as if the SS people have gone out of their way to make everyone happy.
While making GUIKitty available is a gracious gesture on the part of Unsanity, you can't simply substitute the files outputted by GUIKitty into their corresponding live locations in your system and have a working version of the theme that you extracted with GUIKitty. If you attempt to do so, your system will not successfully boot. The Extras.rsrc and Finder.rsrc file that will be extracted from most GUIKits by GUIKitty are incomplete. Workarounds for that particular problem with transcribing GUIKit based themes as well as workarounds for other shortcomings (not all of them) of a file replacement based method of theme customization are available here.

llee
     
Zimphire
Baninated
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Moon
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 03:47 PM
 
Originally posted by llee:
While making GUIKitty available is a gracious gesture on the part of Unsanity, you can't simply substitute the files outputted by GUIKitty into their corresponding live locations in your system and have a working version of the theme that you extracted with GUIKitty. If you attempt to do so, your system will not successfully boot. The Extras.rsrc and Finder.rsrc file that will be extracted from most GUIKits by GUIKitty are incomplete. Workarounds for that particular problem with transcribing GUIKit based themes as well as workarounds for other shortcomings (not all of them) of a file replacement based method of theme customization are available here.

llee
Oh, in that case.

I go back to my original premise.
     
olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bay Area
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 03:56 PM
 
Bitch, Bitch, and then bitch som more ... come on, who hasn't bitched about SS here yet? What are you waiting for? This is getting so old ... How many times do I have to say - you don't like it, don't use it. No one's forcing you. If it's not your thing, if Aqua mods is all you want - fine. Just stop bitching about it. There are plenty of SS users here for whom it works flawlessly. We are happy about the way things are. You don't like it, make your own app.
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly
     
Link
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hyrule
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 04:13 PM
 
Maybe we should all pitch in for a license for zimphire
Aloha
     
Zimphire
Baninated
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Moon
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 04:14 PM
 
Originally posted by olorin15:
Bitch, Bitch, and then bitch som more ... come on, who hasn't bitched about SS here yet? What are you waiting for? This is getting so old ... How many times do I have to say - you don't like it, don't use it. No one's forcing you. If it's not your thing, if Aqua mods is all you want - fine. Just stop bitching about it. There are plenty of SS users here for whom it works flawlessly. We are happy about the way things are. You don't like it, make your own app.
I think what people, or at least I am saying is. If theme makers ONLY make SS themes. And DON'T give an option. If you want to use themes you HAVE to buy SS.

And that shouldn't be. SS should make a changer that lets you convert all the resources over, OR the theme designers should offer TWO different files.

One for SS, and one you can manually do.

Just like how most icons are given out. You can download the icon pack. OR if you don't want to use that app it is associated with, you can just download the icons.

It would suck if Icon makers decided to just release icons in the packs.

Same here with themes. It's a valid complaint.
     
Zimphire
Baninated
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Moon
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 04:15 PM
 
Originally posted by Link:
Maybe we should all pitch in for a license for zimphire
I don't want to run it. Not that I think it's bad. I have no use for it.
     
Link
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hyrule
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 04:28 PM
 
The irony, zimph - I think there's no benefit at all for the theme makers to distribute in a format they actually have to PAY to use (think themepark it's not free) - sheesh that means they have to pay what $40 to make themes?

Don't they get paid ANYTHING for making unsanity rich?

*crickets chirping*

What a bunch of idiots.
Aloha
     
deej5871
Senior User
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Metamora, OH
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 05:21 PM
 
Originally posted by olorin15:
Bitch, Bitch, and then bitch som more ... come on, who hasn't bitched about SS here yet? What are you waiting for? This is getting so old ... How many times do I have to say - you don't like it, don't use it. No one's forcing you. If it's not your thing, if Aqua mods is all you want - fine. Just stop bitching about it. There are plenty of SS users here for whom it works flawlessly. We are happy about the way things are. You don't like it, make your own app.
I hate when people post this crap. You are complaining that other people are complaining.

Just let people speak their minds. Don't criticize them for voicing their opinions.
( Last edited by deej5871; May 1, 2004 at 05:27 PM. )
     
flamingmoe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Apr 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 05:32 PM
 
Originally posted by deej5871:
I hate when people post this crap. You are complaining that other people are complaining.

Just let people speak their minds. Don't criticize them for voicing their opinions.
shut the f*ck up, you f*cking miserable crybaby
     
testnull
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 05:33 PM
 
Originally posted by Link:
The irony, zimph - I think there's no benefit at all for the theme makers to distribute in a format they actually have to PAY to use (think themepark it's not free) - sheesh that means they have to pay what $40 to make themes?
All of the themers distributing in guiKit prove that statement wrong. People don't do things without a benefit. Perhaps you should try to grasp this concept before posting again.

Don't they get paid ANYTHING for making unsanity rich?
Why should Unsanity be paying them? People pay Unsanity for the license of ShapeShifter, not for the themes. Themers are free to charge for that, if they wish.

*crickets chirping*
*moonbats barking*

What a bunch of idiots.
Hm, insulting all the active themers is not the way to make a point, OK?
     
testnull
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 05:34 PM
 
Originally posted by deej5871:
I hate when people post this crap. You are complaining that other people are complaining.

Just let people speak their minds. Don't criticize them for voicing their opinions.
Pot, meet kettle. Heck, we could apply this argument to the whiners in the first place - why can't they just let Unsanity and the themers who publish in guiKit be? Why do they have to whine?
     
flamingmoe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Apr 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 05:38 PM
 
Originally posted by Link:
The irony, zimph - I think there's no benefit at all for the theme makers to distribute in a format they actually have to PAY to use (think themepark it's not free) - sheesh that means they have to pay what $40 to make themes?

Don't they get paid ANYTHING for making unsanity rich?

*crickets chirping*

What a bunch of idiots.
it amazes me at how clueless, ignorant and idiot you are. your thinking skills is below average

go back to masturbating at link
     
deej5871
Senior User
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Metamora, OH
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 05:49 PM
 
Woah..did I ever say complaining was wrong? No. In fact, I encouraged people to voice their opinions.. I just said don't complain about other people complaining because then you're just being a hypocrite.

Originally posted by flamingmoe:
shut the f*ck up, you f*cking miserable crybaby
Hmm, I think I'll sink to you're level:

Why don't you open a f*cking dictionary because all I've ever seen posted out of you is "Shut the f*ck up" or some other one liner. Get a bigger f*cking vocabulary. Learn to f*cking debate.

Gee, I sound a lot like you now don't I?

Originally posted by flamingmoe:
it amazes me at how clueless, ignorant and idiot you are. your thinking skills is below average

go back to masturbating at link
Prove to me your thinking skills are average or above, because when you don't post complete or grammatically correct sentences, it makes me think you haven't finished 1st grade.
     
testnull
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 05:51 PM
 
Originally posted by flamingmoe:
your thinking skills is below average
Hahahahaha. Is this what above average looks like?
     
Zimphire
Baninated
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Moon
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 06:02 PM
 
Originally posted by Link:
The irony, zimph - I think there's no benefit at all for the theme makers to distribute in a format they actually have to PAY to use (think themepark it's not free) - sheesh that means they have to pay what $40 to make themes?

HUH? Extras.rsrc doesn't cost a thing. That's OS X's format.

I don't think you know what I am referring to.
     
justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Orlando, FL
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 06:15 PM
 
Originally posted by Link:
The irony, zimph - I think there's no benefit at all for the theme makers to distribute in a format they actually have to PAY to use (think themepark it's not free) - sheesh that means they have to pay what $40 to make themes?
You can chase the button all day long. It doesn't cost a single penny to create a theme.

How is this for a benefit: ShapeShifter offers theming fixes that simple file replacement will never solve. It also makes changing themes quick, painless, and so easy even you could do it.

     
macmike42
Senior User
Join Date: Dec 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 06:21 PM
 
Originally posted by swiz:
Dynamic Link Theme Archive
Ugh. I never realize what it was about the .DLTA extension that I hated so much. Suddenly I figured it out: DLL! ick!!!

Uh, thanks swiz, I guess...
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP
     
Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North Hollywood, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 07:04 PM
 
Originally posted by deej5871:
Woah..did I ever say complaining was wrong? No. In fact, I encouraged people to voice their opinions.. I just said don't complain about other people complaining because then you're just being a hypocrite.
Well, by using that logic I can say that you're complaining about people who's complaining about other people complaining

Link, seriously you need to calm down and discuss a bit more maturely. Calling them a "bunch of idiots" is WAY over the line.
     
dru
Senior User
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 07:25 PM
 
Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Your inability of accepting other people's opinions shows how unfair and close-minded you are.

Not to be asshole or anything but you need to grow up a bit.
Since mine is the minority viewpoint (unenraptured with SS) under constant attack, and rarely if ever met with rational discourse addressing my points, you obviously meant to quote someone else.

Right?

20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)
     
dru
Senior User
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 07:42 PM
 
Originally posted by testnull:
Why should Unsanity be paying them? People pay Unsanity for the license of ShapeShifter, not for the themes. Themers are free to charge for that, if they wish.
It's simple: without the themes, there is no "hook" for ShapeShifter and it becomes a purely mental exercise for the coder and as worthless to the end user as the classic "Hello World" example programs.

Do you think Max made the included theme for gratis? That wouldn't be the usual practice. Even if they only got test advanced copies or free copies, or have their bugs especially addressed, that's still compensation.

Other "theme" type software makers have been known to offer royalties on the sales of the software product to those who have work included in the download. Second, software makers have also been known to provide other benefits like "free advertising", work for hire on other jobs based on the theming and so forth.

There's no reason to believe 100% of all theme makers have done all this work out of the kindness of their heart and universally endorsed the guikit format en masse. Especially in light of the skepticism over the APE in-memory hacking scheme, stability issues encountered with Kaleidoscope despite Appearance Manager being created for such a purpose as well as the K team's uniquely intimate knowledge of the Mac OS, it goes against all common sense that Unsanity hasn't willfully locked in the theme format and actively discouraged continued support for .DLTA or a simple Extras.rsrc drop in replacement.

As I said, why aren't themers offering .DLTA's exported from ThemePark if the theme doesn't require SS-only features such as custom titlebar shapes?

There were themes which had been ported to Kaleidoscope, Allegro Themes and WindowBlinds and somehow the prior defacto standard format is ignored now that guikit magically appeared. This is true even with guikitty and Themepark at their disposal. True even still given that a number of those very themes were previously available in the old format for Jaguar.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)
     
Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North Hollywood, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 08:04 PM
 
Originally posted by dru:
Since mine is the minority viewpoint (unenraptured with SS) under constant attack, and rarely if ever met with rational discourse addressing my points, you obviously meant to quote someone else.
You said:

Some of you give new meaning to the term zealot.
So, if one praise ShapeShifter, he/she is automatically a zealot? If not then give me one example of zealots in this thread. Personally, I don't see any here
     
Zimphire
Baninated
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Moon
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 08:15 PM
 
I think anyone that takes up for a app isn't a zealot. It's only when they want to SHUT OUT any criticism or call anyone that says anything bad about said app names does it turn into zealousness.
     
justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Orlando, FL
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 08:38 PM
 
Originally posted by dru:
As I said, why aren't themers offering .DLTA's exported from ThemePark if the theme doesn't require SS-only features such as custom titlebar shapes?

There were themes which had been ported to Kaleidoscope, Allegro Themes and WindowBlinds and somehow the prior defacto standard format is ignored now that guikit magically appeared. This is true even with guikitty and Themepark at their disposal. True even still given that a number of those very themes were previously available in the old format for Jaguar.
Are you just looking for a conspiracy or what?

ShapeShifter is what allows a number of themes to work in Panther in the first place, and without it theming would be very restricted (not to mention that the current abundance of themes that we enjoy now would never have occured).

That said, why on Earth would a themer want to bounce around between two theme formats, one of which is restrictive and the other which is (relative to the first) not? If someone happens to make a theme that does work as a .dlta, it's quite possible for them to export it as such; but that's just more work for the themer trying to guarantee that the inferior format lives up to the standards they have set with the guiKit they created.

So what if .dlta used to be the standard? Who cares, it's showing it's age as a format and is in many cases no longer viable. guiKit has snowballed into the standard format for themes (because it's better, mind you) and there is no incentive to try and shoehorn your theme into a previous format just for a few people who don't want to register the software that would allow them to enjoy the themes of today.

Should themes be ported to Kaleidoscope (which also wasn't free) schemes as well just so the poor OS 9 users aren't left out in the cold?

     
Zimphire
Baninated
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Moon
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 09:03 PM
 
Kaleidoscope made theming possible in OS 7+

SS doesn't make theming possible. The ability is already there.

I agree, there shouldn't be TWO theme formats.

There should be SS, and a folder full of the single resources for manually installing if you wish.

That way, you don't HAVE to pay $20 for a theme app if you don't want to.
     
TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Nov 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 09:06 PM
 
Hi
     
fireside
Professional Poster
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Floreeda
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 09:10 PM
 
Originally posted by justinp:
That said, why on Earth would a themer want to bounce around between two theme formats, one of which is restrictive and the other which is (relative to the first) not? If someone happens to make a theme that does work as a .dlta, it's quite possible for them to export it as such; but that's just more work for the themer trying to guarantee that the inferior format lives up to the standards they have set with the guiKit they created.
so what if it doesnt live up to the standards of the guiKit. its not about the "standards" the guiKit makes, its about letting everything theme. ooh, how about this? how about the themers just release a dlta version that unofficial and unsupported? *gasp* like what wibs did with Latium.
     
justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Orlando, FL
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 09:15 PM
 
Originally posted by Zimphire:
SS doesn't make theming possible. The ability is already there.
But it does make it possible to circumvent the new restrictions introduced with 10.3

     
Zimphire
Baninated
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Moon
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 09:18 PM
 
Originally posted by justinp:
But it does make it possible to circumvent the new restrictions introduced with 10.3
And what are those?

I am speaking of themes that don't NEED SS.
     
justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Orlando, FL
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 09:24 PM
 
Originally posted by fireside:
so what if it doesnt live up to the standards of the guiKit. its not about the "standards" the guiKit makes, its about letting everything theme.
Please clarify

Originally posted by fireside:
ooh, how about this? how about the themers just release a dlta version that unofficial and unsupported? *gasp* like what wibs did with Latium.
They could. But as a themer I wouldn't want to provide something that would misrepresent my theme. That's me though.

I meant to include this in my reply to Zimphire, but I'll just stick it here instead since it applies. I think Unsanity should merge guiKitty into ThemePark, or provide some mechanism that will allow anyone to open up a guiKit directly with ThemePark (much like when you're presented with installed elements when you go to create a new theme).

That or guiKitty should decompile themes into a usable file arrangement (which it doesn't, currently, from what I've read?)

     
justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Orlando, FL
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 09:40 PM
 
Originally posted by Zimphire:
And what are those?
Well, I specified 10.3, but really the only big issue I can think of here is that the Finder had to be grayscale. Most of the other improvements were issues that were around before Panther.

     
olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bay Area
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 10:10 PM
 
We keep coming back to the same old argument over and over ... if you search the forums, you'll find several threads just like this one, with people complaining about the exact same things ... What's the point? You are not getting anywhere. Folks have presented plenty of reasons for why things are the way they are, and why this works fine for the majority of people. Bitching about SS ang GUIkits here will not change anything. Swiz, Max, etc will still distribute their themes this way, and you'll keep bitching into a wall ... Give it a rest and go with the flow Or, like I said many times before, get off your ass and do something about the situation, if you do not like it. Go and make your own app that will compete with SS and will be open and free. Unsanity is not going to cater to your whining, most themers are glad that SS gives them new possibilities, and I as an end user am happy. That applies to most people here. Sorry, but that's a fact, and you are not going to change it just by bitching about it over and over.
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly
     
Zimphire
Baninated
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Moon
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 10:22 PM
 
Originally posted by olorin15:
We keep coming back to the same old argument over and over ... if you search the forums, you'll find several threads just like this one, with people complaining about the exact same things ... What's the point? You are not getting anywhere. Folks have presented plenty of reasons for why things are the way they are, and why this works fine for the majority of people. Bitching about SS ang GUIkits here will not change anything. Swiz, Max, etc will still distribute their themes this way, and you'll keep bitching into a wall ... Give it a rest and go with the flow Or, like I said many times before, get off your ass and do something about the situation, if you do not like it. Go and make your own app that will compete with SS and will be open and free. Unsanity is not going to cater to your whining, most themers are glad that SS gives them new possibilities, and I as an end user am happy. That applies to most people here. Sorry, but that's a fact, and you are not going to change it just by bitching about it over and over.
I for one am not bitching about SS.

I am just saying. You shouldn't HAVE to install it to use themes. And you shouldn't

I don't see why you'd have a problem with that.

Use SS if you want. Cool. It's a cool program. But there SHOULD be an option. If I only want to use ONE theme. I shouldn't have to pay out $20 for a theme changer.

BTW your sig is 10pixels too tall.
     
deej5871
Senior User
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Metamora, OH
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 10:28 PM
 
Originally posted by olorin15:
We keep coming back to the same old argument over and over ... if you search the forums, you'll find several threads just like this one, with people complaining about the exact same things ... What's the point? You are not getting anywhere. Folks have presented plenty of reasons for why things are the way they are, and why this works fine for the majority of people. Bitching about SS ang GUIkits here will not change anything. Swiz, Max, etc will still distribute their themes this way, and you'll keep bitching into a wall ... Give it a rest and go with the flow Or, like I said many times before, get off your ass and do something about the situation, if you do not like it. Go and make your own app that will compete with SS and will be open and free. Unsanity is not going to cater to your whining, most themers are glad that SS gives them new possibilities, and I as an end user am happy. That applies to most people here. Sorry, but that's a fact, and you are not going to change it just by bitching about it over and over.
Did you not read my previous posts about you being a hypocrite? To put it in words similar to yours: "Quit bitching about people bitching."

Seriously, sometimes complaints are valid. Maybe if you actually read all the posts in the topic you would see that. While you're at it why don't you tell people not to protest about anything because they will never make a difference. Tell them not to complain when people have wronged them because no one will listen.

Stop posting here if you don't have anything to contribute other than telling people that they should shut up (which is what you are basically doing).
     
olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bay Area
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 10:52 PM
 
Originally posted by Zimphire:
I for one am not bitching about SS.

I am just saying. You shouldn't HAVE to install it to use themes. And you shouldn't

BTW your sig is 10pixels too tall.
You don't have to instal it to use some themes. It's really up to the themer to decide that - not me or you ... You can't force Max or whoever to cater to you and provide an alternative method of installation, if he feels it's not right.

As for my sig - the mods have not complained, so I think it's ok, unless those extra pixels are bothering you
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly
     
Zimphire
Baninated
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Moon
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 11:05 PM
 
Originally posted by olorin15:
You don't have to instal it to use some themes. It's really up to the themer to decide that - not me or you ... You can't force Max or whoever to cater to you and provide an alternative method of installation, if he feels it's not right.

Right. And when someone comes out with a theme similar to those aboves themes, but doesn't require SS, you'll be seeing the non-SS users moving away from the themers.

No one is trying to FORCE any themers to make two themes. I just know a lot of people that will frown on said themer if they make a theme that can only be used if you use SS.

People like having a choice. Choice is good. Monopolies aren't.

If you are trying to say it's BETTER to not have a choice, then you are one of those zealots that dru was talking about.

There WILL be a way around it. There WILL be an option. Or their WILL be backlash.

OS X has a built in theme engine. There is no need to pay for a theme changing app, if you just want to use one theme.

I am sure ANY theme designer would be willing to make a stand alone version just for those loyal fans.

So do you not think Max would make a stand alone version for say, Smooth Stripes?

I know many people that just use that theme and nothing else. Why would they need SS?

They don't.
( Last edited by Zimphire; May 1, 2004 at 11:11 PM. )
     
Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North Hollywood, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 11:05 PM
 
Originally posted by deej5871:
Did you not read my previous posts about you being a hypocrite? To put it in words similar to yours: "Quit bitching about people bitching."

Seriously, sometimes complaints are valid. Maybe if you actually read all the posts in the topic you would see that. While you're at it why don't you tell people not to protest about anything because they will never make a difference. Tell them not to complain when people have wronged them because no one will listen.

Stop posting here if you don't have anything to contribute other than telling people that they should shut up (which is what you are basically doing).
Give it a rest, deej. It's getting a little old already
     
olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bay Area
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 11:06 PM
 
Originally posted by deej5871:
Did you not read my previous posts about you being a hypocrite? To put it in words similar to yours: "Quit bitching about people bitching."
Did you read someone's reply to that, saying stop bitching about me bitching about others bitching? You are a double hypocrite then If you did not start bitching about SS and GUIkit, I'd have nothing to bitch about ...


Seriously, sometimes complaints are valid. Maybe if you actually read all the posts in the topic you would see that. While you're at it why don't you tell people not to protest about anything because they will never make a difference. Tell them not to complain when people have wronged them because no one will listen.
Maybe if you read all the posts in all the previous threads from several months ago, you'd know that you might as well be bitching about the Earth being round ... it's not going to change. I'm not saying that all complaints are not valid (read my post carefully). I'm saying in this case they are pointless, as time has shown. I'm also saying that if you really want to change things, you have to do it yourself, not complain about people who got us where we are today.


Stop posting here if you don't have anything to contribute other than telling people that they should shut up (which is what you are basically doing).
Sorry - what exaclty are you contributing by posting here, other than your teenage "I'm the smartest thing on this planet, and the whole world is unfair to me" attitude?
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly
     
Zimphire
Baninated
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Moon
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 11:07 PM
 
Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Give it a rest, deej. It's getting a little old already
He does have a point. It's as if olorin15 can't stand ANY criticism about SS.

It's on the verge of zealotry.

Choice is good.

SS is great. It's the best theme changer out there IMHO.

But it's a overkill for anyone that uses just ONE theme.

We was using themes long before SS came about. You know this Adam. You were one of the first "NN Themer people" way back a few years ago when it was just a few of us.
( Last edited by Zimphire; May 1, 2004 at 11:13 PM. )
     
NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 11:09 PM
 
This is a very old argument now...
click one
     
Zimphire
Baninated
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Moon
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 11:10 PM
 
Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
This is a very old argument now...
I just stumbled upon it.
     
olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bay Area
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2004, 11:16 PM
 
Originally posted by Zimphire:

Right. And when someone comes out with a theme similar to those aboves themes, but doesn't require SS, you'll be seeing the non-SS users moving away from the themers.
Let's see that happen - I have nothig aganst it as a concept.
No one is trying to FORCE any themers to make two themes. I just knot a lot of people that will frown on said themer if they make a theme that can only be used if you use SS.
If I were a themer, I would not care less if you or anyone else frowned at me ...
People like having a choice. Choice is good. Monopolies aren't.
If you are trying to say it's BETTER to not have a choice, then you are one of those zealots that dru was talking about.
Choice is good, but there is none currently. Why don't you go out and change that? Maye Xtender, if it ever comes out will do just that, who knows. But right now, there is no choice for most modern themes ...
There WILL be a way around it. There WILL be an option. Or their WILL be backlash.
A way around what? I'm lost ...
OS X has a built in theme engine. There is no need to pay for a theme changing app, if you just want to use one theme.
No one's arguing again that ... obviously if ou don't want to use themes you do not need a theme switcher ... not sure where your are going with that.
So you not think Max would make a stand alone version for say, Smooth Stripes?
I don't think - I know he hasn't yet made one. So what's your point? email Max and ask him to provide Smooth Stripes resources in a folder for everyone, and see what happens. Don't argue with me about this.
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:25 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,