Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > apple getting a pasting on UK TV

apple getting a pasting on UK TV
m a d r a
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2005, 06:11 PM

the main commercial news channel over here [ITN] has had an article about the ipod nano in every major news prog tonight. they've been laying into apple for "finally having to admit there are problems with the nano [cracking screens] only after a disgruntled buyer set up a website which generated lots of negative publicity". the article begins with "it was all set to be the hottest must-have present this christmas..." and ends with news that apple's stock price "has plummeted".

<pops head above parapet>
personally i think it's about time apple had a good kick up the arse about their customer service these days. anyone who's ever had their computer buggered up by apple software [early versions of filevault, anyone?] or found apple hardware falling sadly short of the hype [countless examples] will know that apple support's official policy seems to be "bury your head in the sand and ignore it and hope those pesky customers will shut up and go away". so maybe a swift kick in the share price will buck their ideas up a bit.
</pops head above parapet>

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2005, 06:20 PM

Maybe. I'm inclined to think they'll stick to "All publicity is good publicity"

willed
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2005, 07:10 PM

Dude, it was on the BBC's 6 o'clock bulletin. When was the last time Apple featured on that?*

*(answer = never)

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2005, 07:33 PM

that news was on my local news channel too...but they didnt paste apple

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2005, 12:24 AM

Blah, when was the last time you saw a ever major news program go after MS for for something that went wrong? Or a car company? Apple is the company everyone loves to love and loves to hate.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2005, 01:26 AM

Apple gets copied often enough, so it makes sense that they'd have to get pasted occasionally as well.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2005, 03:00 AM

just saw the same thing on the nz news. damn good point about no one going after MS or car companies when equally minor things go wrong. like anything MS have ever produced works as it should?

i guess this is just a sign that apple (well, ipods really) are very much the accepted big kids on the block and so are a decent target.

sminch

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2005, 08:25 AM

It was a very slow news day here yesterday (they even ran with global warming as the main headline at 10pm). Maybe that could explain the appearance?

But I agree with Madra... ...Apple have got to get their quality control working - i.e. calculator updating currency properly, clock actually staying on time (it's been running fast since installing Tiger).
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2005, 09:13 AM

0.1% of delivered Nanos affected. I'd say they have their quality control working fine.

pathogen
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2005, 09:36 AM

All it takes is one slip in quality in control to land a bad product at the feet of someone born to complain loudly to ruin the party. But whats worse is when the complainers have no sense of real world physics.

The Nano is pretty fragile and gem-like, and what concerns me is that some people think it ought to be nearly indestructible.

Apple's response was right on: Buy a freakin' case if you're not willing to protect your $250 toy from scratches with tender handling.
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

m a d r a  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2005, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by pathogen
All it takes is one slip in quality in control to land a bad product at the feet of someone born to complain loudly to ruin the party.....
so what are you meant to do if you get a dud product - just shut up about it, so you don't damage apple's share price? jeez- some of you folks have your tongues so far up apple's corporate arse it's a wonder you can see to use your keyboard!

the whole point was that apple sold a batch of defective nanos in which the screen cracked and when end-users complained about this, apple basically did their usual trick of denying there was a problem [AKA "we've had your money - now **** off!" ] until some enterprising customer, instead of falling to his knees to worship steve jobs for the mere honour of being allowed to buy a defective nano in the first place, got sick of being ignored by apple and set up a website to publicise the problem. several thousand hits and a lot of international bad media publicity later, apple's share price plummets and [surprise! surprise!] apple finally admit that - actually, yes. there were a bunch of dud nanos with cracking screens sent out.

well, bully for apple! if they hadn't treated their customers like shite in the first place, none of the ensuing bad publicity need ever have happened. seriously folks, some of you have got an embarrassingly naive view of big business [which is what apple is]. i'm sure a lot of you think steve jobs sits behind his desk barefoot, in a haze of patchouli oil fumes, sporting a pair of velvet loon pants, strumming bob dylan songs on an acoustic guitar and bemoaning the "bread-heads" in accounts who're preventing him giving away laptops and ipods for free.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2005, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by m a d r a
so what are you meant to do if you get a dud product - just shut up about it, so you don't damage apple's share price?
No, you get it replaced on warranty.

m a d r a  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2005, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
No, you get it replaced on warranty.
not so easy if apple says "there was nothing wrong with the screen. you broke it yourself!"

pathogen
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2005, 11:28 AM

so what are you meant to do if you get a dud product - just shut up about it, so you don't damage apple's share price? jeez- some of you folks have your tongues so far up apple's corporate arse it's a wonder you can see to use your keyboard!

the whole point was that apple sold a batch of defective nanos in which the screen cracked and when end-users complained about this, apple basically did their usual trick of denying there was a problem [AKA "we've had your money - now **** off!" ] until some enterprising customer, instead of falling to his knees to worship steve jobs for the mere honour of being allowed to buy a defective nano in the first place, got sick of being ignored by apple and set up a website to publicise the problem. several thousand hits and a lot of international bad media publicity later, apple's share price plummets and [surprise! surprise!] apple finally admit that - actually, yes. there were a bunch of dud nanos with cracking screens sent out.

well, bully for apple! if they hadn't treated their customers like shite in the first place, none of the ensuing bad publicity need ever have happened. seriously folks, some of you have got an embarrassingly naive view of big business [which is what apple is]. i'm sure a lot of you think steve jobs sits behind his desk barefoot, in a haze of patchouli oil fumes, sporting a pair of velvet loon pants, strumming bob dylan songs on an acoustic guitar and bemoaning the "bread-heads" in accounts who're preventing him giving away laptops and ipods for free.
Whoa there.

Plenty of people buy defective products all the time and then get them replaced under warranty, but less than .1% does not constitute a defective engineering plot by Apple to screw people over.

Apple's battery issue with 2G and 3G iPods was a minor crisis because it was something that quite a few people saw happening in direct contrast to what Apple was advertising. Yes, Apple needed to be taken to task for that, just like the white spots on LCD screens. This is not the same level of problem.

What annoys me about your response is that you assume defending Apple is a kneejerk-reaction by blithely ignorant super-fans. My attitude is actually frustration with a lack of common sense from jaded users who have bizarre expectations about the durability of technology. I don't see enough people questioning the misconceptions put forward in the media that complaining about your purchase after the fact is okay, when really it's less responsible than doing your homework before you buy something. Why is that happening? Because it's a commodity driven economy that thrives on overspending and credit inspired by the glamour of advertising.
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

m a d r a  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2005, 11:48 AM

.....Plenty of people buy defective products all the time and then get them replaced under warranty, but less than .1% does not constitute a defective engineering plot by Apple to screw people over.....
i never said it was a "plot" - i'm sure apple didn't intend to release dud product. the point is that when they do release something which doesn't work, they will not admit to it. it's their "the customer is always wrong" attitude that pisses me off.

i don't know if you've spent much time on the apple support forums, but if you have you'll see this attitude time and time again - any time a new piece of software or hardware is released, which breaks something. the most glaring example i can remember was when filevault was first included in the OS and there were problems with people losing data irretrievably. the apple support forums were full of people frantically trying to find out WTF was going on and what they could do to retrieve [sometimes] months worth of work. the rare times an apple representative actually deigned to reply to any of these posts, it was always along the lines of "you've done something wrong and screwed up. filevault works perfectly". it was only weeks later that apple [again partially as a result of the spreading bad publicity] finally admitted that filevault could cause data corruption and/or loss and released a patch for it.

...What annoys me about your response is that you assume defending Apple is a kneejerk-reaction by blithely ignorant super-fans.....
unfortunately a lot of times on this forum, it is. there are some people who won't countenance any criticism of apple whatsoever. i find them just as annoying as the windoze-users who troll here.

.... I don't see enough people questioning the misconceptions put forward in the media that complaining about your purchase after the fact is okay, when really it's less responsible than doing your homework before you buy something.....
we're talking about a product, of which a significant batch were faulty. are you saying that the users who bought the faulty products are to blame [for not doing their "homework"] rather than the company who manufactured the products in the first place?

again - this isn't a case of people having ridiculous expectations of the product because they believed the advertising hype [although i'm sure there are plenty of those about!]. this was a case of the manufacturer releasing a faulty product and then denying there was anything wrong with it, when customers complained.

pathogen
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2005, 12:03 PM

we're talking about a product, of which a significant batch were faulty. are you saying that the users who bought the faulty products are to blame [for not doing their "homework"] rather than the company who manufactured the products in the first place?
No, I'm saying that the people who complain vociferously, who obviously have expectations that the average consumer doesn't have, are often motivated from an illusary sense of entitlement. The numbers Apple says are affected by the problem indicate it is not a significant batch.

Yes, Apple sucks 9/10 with their public support in forums. But I also know that they replace thousands of iPods a month from user damage that isn't technically covered under warranty, if only because people love to assume they didn't do anything wrong by leaving it out in the rain or sitting on it. And I have plenty of complaints about Tiger with my new G5 that are just silly for Apple to have overlooked, but I'm not about to threaten a public lawsuit or send a press release to my local 6 o'clock news.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2005, 12:09 PM

I agree with you to a point. Apple should have placated this guy a little more. It has to be difficult for them to determine in respect of every iPod, particularly from photographic evidence only, who broke their Nano and whose Nano was defective. I do think that this guy escalated the issue rather quickly and I also think that there are a lot of interested parties out there that were happy to publicise this widely so that it took on proportions not entirely commensurate with the level of the problem.

The thing for me is that this guy's argument on the website was that there is a design flaw with the Nano. Despite the fact that a bunch of people pointed out to him that it's possible that he simply got a dud, he persisted. Furthermore, most of the people whose complaints he posted were actually not complaining about cracked screens but about scratches to the plastic. For me, that's a non-issue. They should have checked the scratch resistance of the plastic before they bought it.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2005, 02:06 PM

I haven't had a problem that Apple hasn't fixed, even when it was a problem they didn't have to fix.

This is just people trying to find something wrong with Apple, then going overboard with it. It's dumb.

Can you imagine if Apple was still making Performas? I think they'd really be going out of business.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

willed
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2005, 05:14 PM

I think the people supporting Apple here are generally American. In my experiece Apple customer support in the UK is sh1t. For the first time Apple has a large customer base in the UK and are waking up to the fact that we won't be treated like crap.

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2005, 05:22 PM

i'm sure a lot of you think steve jobs sits behind his desk barefoot, in a haze of patchouli oil fumes, sporting a pair of velvet loon pants, strumming bob dylan songs on an acoustic guitar and bemoaning the "bread-heads" in accounts who're preventing him giving away laptops and ipods for free.
i'm more concerned about this - my illusions have just been shattered.

sminch

Forum Links
Forum Rules