Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Teen With Camcorder Captures His Own Killing On Tape

Teen With Camcorder Captures His Own Killing On Tape
baw
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2005, 06:52 PM

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/...40/detail.html
Teen With Camcorder Captures His Own Killing On Tape
Police: Suspect Promised To Send Help That Never Came

POSTED: 7:23 am EDT September 30, 2005
LA CROSSE, Wis. -- Seth Hammes was filming in the woods when his camcorder recorded the crack of gunshots, the 17-year-old's screams and the voice of the alleged shooter, promising help that never came.

Authorities say they might never have learned what happened to Hammes, who later died in the woods.

"But right next to him was the videotape," Monroe County Sheriff Pete Quirin said Thursday. "That's when we knew we had a homicide on our hands."

After viewing and listening to the tape, police tracked down 24-year-old Russell Schroeder, who now faces charges of reckless homicide and reckless injury. Schroeder was being held on $250,000 bond. If convicted, he faces up to 85 years in prison.

Family members said Hammes and two of his friends had gone bow-hunting Saturday morning in the woods near Little Falls, about 35 miles northeast of La Crosse.

Hammes put down his bow and picked up his camcorder that afternoon.

According to the criminal complaint, he was shot in the pelvis and then the heart. His camcorder fell to the ground but caught the sound of the shots and his own screams.

The tape shows a person Quirin identified as Schroeder in a nearby field, telling Hammes he would call for help on his cell phone. He then said he couldn't find a signal but promised to go get help.

Instead, authorities say, Schroeder went to a birthday party, home to play video games and then to his job as a custodian at the Army's Fort McCoy near Sparta.

Schroeder didn't call anyone because he was scared he would get in trouble, the complaint said. He told police he thought he was shooting at a squirrel until he heard Hammes scream.

After family and friends reported Hammes missing, police used bloodhounds to find his body in the woods that night.

Investigators initially believed he had just died in the woods - there was no blood to indicate foul play, and he had been shot with a .22-caliber rifle, which left only small wounds, Quirin said. Then authorities saw the camcorder tape.

Hammes' family gathered at his grandparents' home in La Crosse after Hammes' funeral on Thursday.

Ed Hammes said his nephew loved to tinker with the family's lawn mowers and research pyrotechnics. He hung out with the La Crosse Skyrockers fireworks club, which produces the city's New Year's Eve fireworks.

"He was shy for the most part, but he'd go out of his way to help you," Ed Hammes said.
That sucks.

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2005, 06:58 PM

for sure, and it's very out of it the way the guy who shot him was tracked down. bet he wishes he risked getting into trouble now, the prick.

sminch

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2005, 08:21 PM

Gawdammn!!
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 30, 2005, 08:22 PM

"Thought he was shooting at a squirrel..."

B.S.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2005, 11:42 PM

Railroader
Banned
Oct 1, 2005, 12:51 AM

*at a loss for words*

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2005, 01:47 AM

At least the -hole who did it got caught. Time to string him up by his nuts. And video tape it.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2005, 03:46 AM

^^ You can say "asshole" here.

It's Jeebus™-compatible, 'parently.

OT: What a crazy story.

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2005, 04:11 AM

wow..i wonder if the docs could have saved the guy if he received immediate help. if so then i'd give the apparently blind dumbass 85 years. 60 at a minimum

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2005, 09:58 AM

I'd string him up by his balls and lower him into a pool of ravenous crayfish!

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2005, 10:02 AM

Holy crud! Thats messed up.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2005, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Artful Dodger
i wonder if the docs could have saved the guy if he received immediate help.
The article says the second bullet went through his heart. Granted it was only a .22 calber rifle bullet, but it is unlikely he would have survived that at all, unless the shooting took place in the emergency room of a hospital (where close proximity to medical care would be the difference between life and death). Still, the shooter needs to get put in prison for a long, long time.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2005, 03:13 PM

Wow, that's just crazy. Poor kid.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2005, 08:48 AM

You know, it is entirely possible that the kid that got shot had the squirrels climbing all over him.

The article doesn't hint towards any motive, unless the shooter hated fireworks. This could be a case of an idiot kid popping off shots in the woods w/o making sure that his shot path was clear. I've been in a similar situation (with paintballs) and even that was scary. Dumbasses are chasing squirrels with their rifle scopes and don't even realize that they could put everyone there in danger.

Then, bc the shooter is a complete idiot, he just pretended like nothing ever happened and hoped it would all go away with a quick game of Madden '06. That's sad.

jckalen
Senior User
Oct 2, 2005, 10:29 PM

The article is a little confusing. He goes bowhunting with 2 of his friends but gets shot by a .22 calibre rifle? And what happened to the other friend?
It looks just like a telefunken' U-47 - Zappa

itistoday
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2005, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by jckalen
The article is a little confusing. He goes bowhunting with 2 of his friends but gets shot by a .22 calibre rifle? And what happened to the other friend?
It clearly says that he came back, "put down his bow", and left with the camcorder.

jckalen
Senior User
Oct 2, 2005, 10:38 PM

right... but his friend also apparently gave up HIS bow for a rifle. Seems like these guys hit the woods with a good deal of equipment. And I'm still wondering about the 3rd guy who really doesn't get any attention beyond "Family members said Hammes and two of his friends..."
It looks just like a telefunken' U-47 - Zappa

itistoday
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2005, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by jckalen
right... but his friend also apparently gave up HIS bow for a rifle. Seems like these guys hit the woods with a good deal of equipment. And I'm still wondering about the 3rd guy who really doesn't get any attention beyond "Family members said Hammes and two of his friends..."
What are you talking about? His friend didn't pick up a rifle. Hammes went into the woods by himself and some guy shot him.

Forum Links
Forum Rules